Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Nitrous or gear set change?

I'm going to do one or the other but can't make up my mind which I want to do. Nitrous is cool but how often would I use it? I don't think it's legal to use nitrous in Ohio. I was told a gear set change to a 3.91 makes a huge difference in performance and really makes the car come alive.

I can't do both now so I'm curious to hear if the forum members would go nitrous or gear set swap?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
jsboyce

Drives: 2011 cyber gray SS
would like to know also. Opinions please??
jsboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
Cat988h

Drives: Rally yellow 2011 Camaro 1SSRS
Do the gears first, then down the road get the spray. Gears are easy on the engine, not that a good nos setup isn't. But you will benefit more from the gears for everyday street use. I also plan to do both after I do my cam swap this December.
ATI Super Damper, Katech C5R Chain, Jannetty 470 Comp Cam, Comp Valve Springs, Mellings Oil Pump, Manley Push Rods, Comp Tringion Upgrade, Cold Air Inductions Intake, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w Cats, MBRP 3 Inch Exhaust, RX Catch Can, Eaton Tru Trac, 3.91 OEM, DSS Drive And Half Shafts, LPW Diff Cover,3 Inch Noweeds, Amsoil Z-Rod, Tuned by Jannetty Racing
Cat988h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Gears are great...especially if you have an M6. Never seen anyone not happy after swapping to 3.91's.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Cat988h

Drives: Rally yellow 2011 Camaro 1SSRS
Guys here is some good reads on the topic. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95142. http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/...288/prd288.htm
ATI Super Damper, Katech C5R Chain, Jannetty 470 Comp Cam, Comp Valve Springs, Mellings Oil Pump, Manley Push Rods, Comp Tringion Upgrade, Cold Air Inductions Intake, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w Cats, MBRP 3 Inch Exhaust, RX Catch Can, Eaton Tru Trac, 3.91 OEM, DSS Drive And Half Shafts, LPW Diff Cover,3 Inch Noweeds, Amsoil Z-Rod, Tuned by Jannetty Racing
Cat988h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
If you plan on adding power in the near future don't do the gears. Nos will always be the biggest bang for the buck .If you only see a cam in your future the gear will help but keep in mind the tranny has a very low first gear.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
NitrousTech@SCOL

Drives: Camaor
We offer gears as well as being a major nitrous dealer. I would be more than happy answer any questions anyone has. If you would like to pm me please feel free to do so.

www.superchargersonline.com
NitrousTech@SCOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat988h View Post
Great info, thanks for the link! That answered a lot of questions that I had.

Russ
Old 10-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
If you plan on adding power in the near future don't do the gears. Nos will always be the biggest bang for the buck .If you only see a cam in your future the gear will help but keep in mind the tranny has a very low first gear.
Waiting for the nitrous police to come in here and scold all of you for saying "NOS". I wrote a thread about nitrous or N2O and got beat up for saying NOS because it's a brand. I don't care either way. When I go to the races (NHRA)they write "NOS" on my windows. So I guess it's become ubiquitous now.

I did gears first. I have an auto and installed the manual rear end. It made a difference but I didn't want to gear to low for when I did the SC. Well one thing led to another bad thing and the finances just wouldn't allow for a SC this year so I sprang for the Nitrous Outlet kit. Those gears now with the nitrous are amazing. It's a neck snapper. Any lower and it would be like driving on a frozen lake. Love the setup now. But I agree, gears first, nitrous later.

ONE IMPORTANT ITEM: While they're in their doing the gears, install the posi-lock feature. You'll need both tires putting the power down. I should have done mine. But am scheduling ASAP.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
Hey six did you retune for the gear swap or are you running stock trans tune
Old 10-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
OHIOSS
Russ

My neighbors brother is a Ohio Trooper and I asked him about nitrous. He said that it's not illegal to have in your car......BUT it must be non-functional, meaning it has to be disconnected. Well why would I even want it then? That makes up my mind, I am going with a gear set change as soon as I can pick someone to do it.

Guy #1 that was checking to see if he had the tools has not called me back so he is out. I did find a GM dealer that will do the work for $750 so now I'm tossed between the dealer and the transmission company to do the work for me.

Dealer......or ....... transmission shop????? Dang why isn't anything simple?
Old 10-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6.3 View Post
Hey six did you retune for the gear swap or are you running stock trans tune
I re-entered the new gear ratio in the tune. Also when I swap tires I put the new tire dimensions for the speedo. Try to keep up on that stuff.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
OHIOSS
Russ

I have made up my mind and I am going to do the gear swap. I won't get much time to test it out because I have to get it into winter storage to be sure I don't lose my slot. Then I will have to find another place to store it for the winte

Russ