Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
anotherreject

Drives: no camaro
questions for those who daily drive your 5th gen

Im looking at getting a new ss 5th gen. I would be daily driving the car, about 80 miles a day.

How are these cars holding up with high miles?

I would be getting a ss, which transmission is holding up best to high miles? I dont care if i have auto or manual.

Does the 6.2 require premium gas?

Is anybody out of warranty and needed major repairs?

I live in a area that sees snow, obviously i wont be driving the camaro in anykind of accumulated snow but it might see some early and late season flurries, what all season tires have people had experience with?

Still on winter weather, i live where roads are treated with a ridiculous amount of road salt and ice chemicals, has anybody applied any corrosion or rust treatment to the frame and under carriage?

My last gm was a pontiac g6 with a sunroof, the sunroof leaked like a sumbish, every rain storm i had a lake on the passenger floor, do the camaro sunroofs leak?

My car will remain stock except for a catback or axel back exhaust so im not worried about any mods.

Has anybody here had a v6 then upgraded to a ss? How much did your car insurance jump? I am a 29 year old male with zero accidents and zero tickets for comparison.

Thanks for your answers, hopefully soon ill be sharing pics of my new car.
anotherreject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I used my 2010 2LT/RS as a daily driver I did 133 miles per day I filled up every 4 days, figure your SS will fill up every 3 days and yes you will need to run Premium gas.

I now have 73k on my car and she is going strong.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherreject View Post
Im looking at getting a new ss 5th gen. I would be daily driving the car, about 80 miles a day.

How are these cars holding up with high miles? Lots of people had great luck on this site with 100K and higher. I have a low mileage car so I can't speak from experience

I would be getting a ss, which transmission is holding up best to high miles? I dont care if i have auto or manual. Still can't answer this question because I don't have experience.

Does the 6.2 require premium gas? Yes

Is anybody out of warranty and needed major repairs? Knock on wood nothing yet. Just my leather ripping but now that is just an excuse for new seats

I live in a area that sees snow, obviously i wont be driving the camaro in anykind of accumulated snow but it might see some early and late season flurries, what all season tires have people had experience with? Live in PA for 2 years with a Camaro and the stock tires suck in the snow and can't handle the hills very well. You will need a good set of all weather tires to help, even with the little snow cover. I drove my car into a ditch with just a little dusting (I was trying to go up a hill).

Still on winter weather, i live where roads are treated with a ridiculous amount of road salt and ice chemicals, has anybody applied any corrosion or rust treatment to the frame and under carriage? Can't help with this one either. I winterize after experiencing my first winter with the car

My last gm was a pontiac g6 with a sunroof, the sunroof leaked like a sumbish, every rain storm i had a lake on the passenger floor, do the camaro sunroofs leak? 3 years an no leaks for me. When I give her a good wash I make sure to give the sunroof seals I good cleaning.

My car will remain stock except for a catback or axel back exhaust so im not worried about any mods. HAHAHAHHAHA!!!! Stick around here more often and that will change

Has anybody here had a v6 then upgraded to a ss? How much did your car insurance jump? I am a 29 year old male with zero accidents and zero tickets for comparison. There are plenty of people have upgraded, but if you are asking that question now before purchasing don't even think about a V6.

Answers in Red
Old 06-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
See my responses in Red below.

Quote:

How are these cars holding up with high miles? Mine is great. Had it for almost 4 years and approaching 50k miles.

I would be getting a ss, which transmission is holding up best to high miles? I dont care if i have auto or manual. Manual for me and I'm frequently stuck in stop & go traffic every day.

Does the 6.2 require premium gas? Yes. It's typically 93 octane unless you live in one of the high-altitude states that only offer 91.

Is anybody out of warranty and needed major repairs? I essentially voided my warranty over the winter with the powertrain mods. No issues so far <knock on wood>

I live in a area that sees snow, obviously i wont be driving the camaro in anykind of accumulated snow but it might see some early and late season flurries, what all season tires have people had experience with? The right tires make all the difference in the world. I have driven Bee in as much as 4" of snow in my Continental Extreme Contact DWS's. But like all higher HP cars with rear-wheel-drive, you still have to take extra care when dealing with hills.

Still on winter weather, i live where roads are treated with a ridiculous amount of road salt and ice chemicals, has anybody applied any corrosion or rust treatment to the frame and under carriage? Nope, and we have the same salt/mag chloride/sand that everyone seems to use.

My last gm was a pontiac g6 with a sunroof, the sunroof leaked like a sumbish, every rain storm i had a lake on the passenger floor, do the camaro sunroofs leak? Don't have a sunroof, didn't like how low the interior of the roof was with them.

My car will remain stock except for a catback or axel back exhaust so im not worried about any mods. Your loss...

Has anybody here had a v6 then upgraded to a ss? How much did your car insurance jump? I am a 29 year old male with zero accidents and zero tickets for comparison. Insurance isn't as bad as you would think. It may be worth a phone call to your insurance company to get a quote to be sure.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Theses cars are bullet proof.

I've got 27+K on my 2LT RS (+all the mods listed below) and it drives great.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I daily drove my SS through one single winter. A good set of snow wheels/tires (I went with 19" because there were better tire options than sticking with 20") and it did amazingly. I was very surprised. I'm pretty sure the near 50/50 weight distribution helped considerably. I didn't bother with corrosion resistance - I washed it almost daily, though. haha MN-DOT reeeeally likes their salt/chemicals in the winter.

Yeah, the 6.2 requires premium, but it actually gets pretty good mileage for being a 430hp V8. I was able to see 25-26 average on my commute.

No leaks from my sunroof or trunk. I have heard of people bumping the sunroof drain lines loose from the trunk opening area, though, and then it will channel the sunroof drain into your trunk. I check mine every time I load up the trunk with a lot of junk, just because I'm paranoid. It's very easy to do and literally only takes a second or two.

As far as reliability goes - the LS is NOT a new engine. Durability tested through and through. I've seen LS-derivatives in the pickups with well over 300,000 miles and still running strong. And the manual transmission is a Tremec T6060, which has been around for 15-20 years as well. Pretty sure all the major components are very tried and true.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
shine2013

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT
Only problem I have is having to wash every other day.
shine2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
I DD mine. 40k miles. The full extent of any and all repairs i have ever had thus far is. A turn signal blew out. The AC belt slipped and took out the drive belt with it. The belt i'm sure had a lot more to do with me at the track, hard launching , burnouts, donuts and general fun than anything else. Hell, i'm shocked they even lasted 38k miles lol. Also have replaced tires twice. See above for reasons why. In the end i lost a bulb in 40k miles.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
I'll jump in as well!

Quote:
Im looking at getting a new ss 5th gen. I would be daily driving the car, about 80 miles a day. Congrats!!!!

How are these cars holding up with high miles? Mine's a 2SS, 2 years old - 46k kilometers - like a fine wine, she gets better with age!

I would be getting a ss, which transmission is holding up best to high miles? I dont care if i have auto or manual. Manual - downtown to the burbs, stop and go - in heels - no problem! (It does get annoying some days tbh when traffic sucks, but that quickly changes once you get moving again!)

Does the 6.2 require premium gas? Yes - one thing I didn't think of when buying was I went from a Mazda 3 - $40-$50 every 2 weeks in gas, to the SS which is $80 every week driving the same distance (500 kms). Its not the premium gas - its the V8.

Is anybody out of warranty and needed major repairs? Still have warranty. I've had my water pump replaced and my rotors turned (warped) - covered under warranty, but no other problems.

I live in a area that sees snow, obviously i wont be driving the camaro in anykind of accumulated snow but it might see some early and late season flurries, what all season tires have people had experience with? Winter tires - Blizzaks and the car is amazing in the snow! Second winter and for the most part, had a blast. There are always days no one should be on the roads, but the right tires make a huge difference - on any vehicle.

Still on winter weather, i live where roads are treated with a ridiculous amount of road salt and ice chemicals, has anybody applied any corrosion or rust treatment to the frame and under carriage? I had extra protection put on the car when I purchased, including rust. No problems.

My last gm was a pontiac g6 with a sunroof, the sunroof leaked like a sumbish, every rain storm i had a lake on the passenger floor, do the camaro sunroofs leak? No comment, don't have one!

My car will remain stock except for a catback or axel back exhaust so im not worried about any mods. Good luck with that!!

Has anybody here had a v6 then upgraded to a ss? How much did your car insurance jump? I am a 29 year old male with zero accidents and zero tickets for comparison. Straight in the SS. My insurance didn't change from my Mazda 3 to the Camaro - check with your insurance co.

smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Forgot. If you plan to stay stock with an auto then forget any exhaust work unless you either use a range device or get the AFM tuned out. Otherwise you will want to kill yourself listening to that annoying noise coming out of the car. The stock exhaust kills most of the horrible noises.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
I went from a Ford fusion to a camaro ss... wait for it.... ins went up 12 a month. I live in nj, so imho... I get it the worst/close to it as far as prices go.
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Said it already -

Does the 6.2 require premium gas? Yes - one thing I didn't think of when buying was I went from a Mazda 3 - $40-$50 every 2 weeks in gas, to the SS which is $80 every week driving the same distance (500 kms). Its not the premium gas - its the V8.

I use my car for work, not just getting to and from, but am out and about during the day as well. I'm not driving the distance you would be on a daily basis, but do some once in a while. If I was daily, I would think twice about an SS as a DD, unless - the gas isn't an issue. Increase the amount in the summer as there are some days that just call for a long, scenic drive and gas prices naturally increase.
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
NotchedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM L99
I personally love my SS as a daily driver. Totally get excited everytime i wake up for my commute. 60K miles and going strong.
-SLP Loudmouth I Muffler Delete
-V8 Only Range Device
-Technostalgia Advanced Taillights
-Elite Engineering Catch Can
-Anvil Notch Spoiler
NotchedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #14
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I DD mine -- 2011 2SS 36K, 80+ miles a day since I got it in April '14. Premium (93). I've done some upgrades too (see my garage), and I do love it! I'm averaging 22 mpg (I had a Durango before and it was averaging 17 mpg!) so I actually have better MPG! Not seeing the '25' mpg even though I have an A6 (and no, I don't really 'race' it ;o).

Yep, have to do the 'every other day' wash too -- oh darn... ;o)

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote