Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Sponsors Camaro Builds / Project Cars

Old 11-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #15
scca02

Drives: 2010 RS/2lt....Silver,bk stripes,6s
2010 RS does GREAT at a Mustang club as a guest.

My Boss has a 2011 5.0 with exhaust and CAI putting out 460HP. My car(320HP) only has a Magnaflow single muffler and Injen CAI and ive never did any drag racing with it yet on a track. We were invited to run the DANA two mile test track with 45 degree banked corners in a drag style format staying in our own lanes at a TOLEDO MUSTANG CLUB event.Ive been on a few open track events over the years and have autocrossed for 15 years.He is strictly a drag raceer and street racer himself.I ended up passing him in the middle of turn one as I decided to take the far outside lane to carry more speed up top.IT WORKED PERFECTLY because he lifted going into the inbankment due to his inexperiance with this type of driving.I had such a big lead going into the second straightaway that he couldnt even come close to catching me.I was SOOOO happy that I didnt embarass myself infront of some of the cocky Mustang guys that were there.THEY were SHOCKED that I beat him as he is one of their long time members and they knew about his car he just traded his 2011 CAMARO V6 in on. I even ended up getting 3rd fastest speed around the roadcourse they had coned off around the facility in my group of other Mustangs. All in all it was a GREAT time and made me proud of my CAMARO to spank some Mustangs at their own event.
scca02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #16
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
First- define "beat"...track, strip....???
Second - sell the v6 and buy a v8, this will actaully be CHEAPER in the long run!

If you can't sell it and buy a v8, find a different competitor

You've got to make up 140hp or so and it's gonna cost you thousands! Then when you do catch up the 5.O can get a canned tune and a cai and be 40 hp ahead of you again
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #17
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
First- define "beat"...track, strip....???
Second - sell the v6 and buy a v8, this will actaully be CHEAPER in the long run!

If you can't sell it and buy a v8, find a different competitor

You've got to make up 140hp or so and it's gonna cost you thousands! Then when you do catch up the 5.O can get a canned tune and a cai and be 40 hp ahead of you again
First, it also costs thousands to buy the V8. Second, it will be a unique car to have a v6 5th gen that can consistently beat the lighter 5.0.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
First, it also costs thousands to buy the V8. Second, it will be a unique car to have a v6 5th gen that can consistently beat the lighter 5.0.
QFT. When I was looking to buy my car, even used, it was about $8k more to get the same car with a V8. That buys a lot of get up and go, especially when the V8 insurance was substantially higher, and the fuel economy was what.. 25% worse? That makes a big difference in a daily driver budget.

That $8k would buy you an IPF supercharger and a set of headers that would put you faster than a stock SS, and hopefully into 5.0 territory.

The other thing to consider doing, is getting a set of lighter weight rims and tires. A set of 19" Nurburgrings and some Michelin Pilot super sports will shed 80 lbs of rotating mass from the car and give you a lot more grip than the stock Pirelli's. That should make a substantial difference.

If you do go for it, makes sure you have fun with it!
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
Just curious? About how much do you think you have in your build total? Reason I ask is I had about 27K into a SRT-4 that would trap almost 122 thru the 1/4. so cheaper cars can be made to perform with the V8s.
I am probably at about the price of a ZL1. What's made it expensive is we have to develop just about everything from scratch because there is no aftermarket.

It is true, if you really want to go fast on a budget buy an old Chevy II or Fox Body and slap a big motor in it...you'll go fast for cheap. The hard part is making a streetable 5th Gen go fast...it takes some money and time.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
But to say to a Mustang owner. it's a V6, the look on his face would be pricelessss. Win or just to come close.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote