Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #1
CamaroSSMike

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS package.
So from just add oil and its ok to your engine is done do you think I am?

Hello guys on 06/16/16 I went and I got an oil changed done at my local dealer. Yesterday I took the car out and got the low oil level light on, so I went to the gas station and added 1 quart of mobil 1 to the engine. The car has an oil life of 40% as I barely use the car. I know I should of checked my fluids, but I did not.

Now my car had 6 months of heavy driving about 5k miles of driving. After I added the quart of oil the low oil light went away and I rechecked the level and is still super low like well bellow the minimum.

What would you do in this case? where can I go from here. I have an oil change scheduled for today after work at the same place I am so pissed off but I don't even know if its their fault. What would you do in this case?

Below is a picture of my dip stick after I added the quart of oil.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Hurst Short trow shifter and bushings.
Cold Air Inductions cold air intake.
CamaroSSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
O.F.

Drives: 2015 BLK/BLK 2SS/RS MN6
Lucky you didn't wipe your motor. Top it off. Have it serviced. Check it more often. Blame no one but yourself. I change my own but ALWAYS check it before leaving the dealer if I use them.
O.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
If the dealer did it the sales receipt should show what parts and lubricants were used and there respective amounts...I bet you anything the minimum wage grease monkey put in either 5 or 6 qts...not realizing these motors take 8+.....

If this turns out to be the case get back there ASAP and demand to speak with the service manager...minimum they should redo the oil change making sure the correct amount is installed, refund you the cost of the xchange, give you the next xchange free and you better make sure this gets into the service record in case you have motor has probs down the road....good luck...peace out

in before these motors like oil...2 3 qts seems like a lot for 5k...

Last edited by frankwjr; 12-14-2016 at 10:35 AM. Reason: more
frankwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
Reread what the op wrote. He went six months and five thousand miles after the oil change when the low oil pressure light came on. When he checked it then it was that low. The oil change from six months ago was not the issue. The issue is driving five thousand miles without checking the oil. I'm sure the level was fine right after the oil change.
Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #5
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Willing to bet they put in 6 quarts and now you're down around 4.
Check your oil more frequently ESPECIALLY after someone else changes your oil.
Going 6 months without checking your oil is just asking for trouble.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Im a little confused.....but yeah, shame on you if you went 5k before checking oil. I would "bring it up," not "demand," at the next dealer oil change. They may want to monitor the issue. Which, of course, will require some effort on your end......by checking the oil frequently. Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #7
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
A few people don't realize, but 5k is a lot of miles between an oil change, especially for a v8 engine. The oil body should be changed; In fact, you would do better by changing the oil at 3,000 to 4,000 miles IMO.

If you suspect that the engine might be using some oil, ask the dealer to do an oil usage check (GM has a very liberal usage policy if my memory serves me...like 1 quart every 1200 miles). Insist on it if you think the engine is using oil.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:55 AM   #8
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
An easy thing to do is check the level when you're getting gas ... you have a few minutes while the tank is filling, so put those minutes to good use.

Slightly OT, but doesn't the V6 take 6 quarts?
Old 12-17-2016, 06:16 AM   #9
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
I bring my own oil and filter to my dealer and just pay labor. I get back the unused oil. I give him two 5 qt jugs and always make sure I get one back with 2 quarts. Make sure you tell the dealer how much oil to put in. Otherwise they may use all 10. The first time ,my dealer used all 10 and caught the mistake by asking for the extra oil back. He was able to drain 2 quarts.
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #10
CamaroSSMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
A few people don't realize, but 5k is a lot of miles between an oil change, especially for a v8 engine. The oil body should be changed; In fact, you would do better by changing the oil at 3,000 to 4,000 miles IMO.

If you suspect that the engine might be using some oil, ask the dealer to do an oil usage check (GM has a very liberal usage policy if my memory serves me...like 1 quart every 1200 miles). Insist on it if you think the engine is using oil.
Yeah exactly this is whats going on, I have a Camaro youtube Vlog channel where I explained how It went in the visit to the dealer for those interested!

In short dealer did a free oil change and will start monitoring oil consumption.

Last edited by CamaroSSMike; 12-18-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #11
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:

Not necessarily. You can spend $25-30 on oil analysis and see how much life you have left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #12
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSMike View Post
Yeah exactly this is whats going on, I have a Camaro youtube Vlog channel where I explained how It went in the visit to the dealer for those interested!

In short dealer did a free oil change and will start monitoring oil consumption.

Good; Since you are under warranty then let them check the usage. Like I said earlier, a lot of people like leaving oil in the crankcase for excessive miles. It isn't that unusual to be down a quart or more if you've gone more than 5,000 miles. These modern engines are made with tighter clearances between moving parts, so in general the amount of expected oil usage has gone down considerably from past engines. However, oil usage can still occur, especially with neglect and/or a subpar grade of oil.

If you plan on keeping the car, then I would urge you (after the dealer does their analysis) to change your oil between 3,000 and 4,000 miles. A half of a quart or a quart used at that mileage should be considered acceptable IMO. Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #13
CamaroSSMike

Quote:
Good; Since you are under warranty then let them check the usage. Like I said earlier, a lot of people like leaving oil in the crankcase for excessive miles. It isn't that unusual to be down a quart or more if you've gone more than 5,000 miles. These modern engines are made with tighter clearances between moving parts, so in general the amount of expected oil usage has gone down considerably from past engines. However, oil usage can still occur, especially with neglect and/or a subpar grade of oil.

If you plan on keeping the car, then I would urge you (after the dealer does their analysis) to change your oil between 3,000 and 4,000 miles. A half of a quart or a quart used at that mileage should be considered acceptable IMO. Good luck.

Exactly what I was thinking, everything seems to be in order and it seems like it was a lesson on keeping up with checkups and not be lazy.