Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #253
jtbravo

Drives: 2011 LS
HPT needs to be out ASAP. I've read a lot about warranty voiding by getting a tune. since everyone is on the topic of tuning; can I buy a spare pcm and have that tuned then swap out for the original if I have a warranty repair? Will unplugging the pcm clear the tune?

Im certainly appreciative of this forum and its members. I would have made a $500 dollar mistake with Trifecta if it wasnt for your awesomeness.

BBK Long Tube, HF Cat, RX ICE-Olator, RX OCC, C.A.I Intake, ADM Scoop,
ROTO-fab washer relocator, Hurst short throw, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, VMAX TB;
ENKEI RAIJIN 19x9.5; HANKOOK Ventus V12 evo2 275/35zr/19

Coming soon... HPtuner... I hope...
jtbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #254
Superfly1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT #2197
The PCM in the V6 doesn't remember the tune. So all you need to do is flash it back to stock if you ever needed to. The dealer wouldn't be able to see that it ever had a tune in it.

On a side note if you have a good dealer they will not care about the tune unless the damage is directly related to it. Mine has done several warranty jobs on mine knowing it has the tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

CAI intake | OBX LT Headers | Flowmaster AT Exhaust | Trifecta Tune | SS Rear Diff, Axles & Driveshaft
Zex 100 Shot Nitrous | Konig Airstrike Wheels | Custom Engine Cover, Fuse Box & Underhood Bowtie
Eibach Springs & SS Sway Bars
| BMR Strut Brace | Drake Shifter | Vitesse Paddles | 13.26 @ 105.88 mph
Superfly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #255
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
tuning software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly1 View Post
The PCM in the V6 doesn't remember the tune. So all you need to do is flash it back to stock if you ever needed to. The dealer wouldn't be able to see that it ever had a tune in it.

On a side note if you have a good dealer they will not care about the tune unless the damage is directly related to it. Mine has done several warranty jobs on mine knowing it has the tune.

Doesn't the transmission keep a flash count in the V6 assuming you have an automatic of course?
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #256
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Supposedly not in the LLT. I guess they did not anticipate we would do this much modding.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #257
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Using a separate PCM is an expensive option. I have a second one from a cts that was flashed with my vin. There is a check between the BCM and PCM to matchup otherwise you will get a security system light. There seems. To be a counter that allows so many start then locks up the ignition system. You would need to flash the BCM to match the PCM in order to use the second PCM. I don't know of anyone that offered BCM flashing except the dealership. I was quoted over $200 to do the BCM by the dealer.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #258
SixCyl

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly1 View Post

This, find a good dealer! My dealer loves my V6 and has been trying to get me to trade it in for a year now. Some dealers like the mod scene.
El gato. Mods: Eagle eye headlights, 18" Axis Sport graphite, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax ported TB, 3/8" Vmax Black-Ice, RX single valve catch can, RX breather, Pedders inserts, Trifecta tune, BBK LTH 304 SS.

art/ärt/Noun. Definition: 5th generation Camaro.
SixCyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #259
jtbravo

SO from what I understand, the LLT does not do a flash count? I have a manual LLT. I've read that they can and cannot do a flash count. Ruby, I trust your input on this. Verbally, when I bought the car, the manager told me I can do bolt ons and not void the warranty. He said it would only void that part or parts that break subsequently from the mod. However, he did say that if I "chip" the car to remove it before I bring it in for service. But we all know that anything verbally from a dealership means nothing. I don't know anyone who does research and actually buys a "chip". I come from the import scene so a lot of the tuning came from piggy-backs, modding the sensor input numbers-manipulating the ECM to act in a certain way. Im not so much worried about the expense of buying a second PCM they are only $250 plus as NUTBUTT was quoted $200 to flash to the BCM. I spent an extra $1700, I think, for an extended warranty. Another $450 would be worth it to keep it. I would definitely keep the original PCM with its stock tune. The secondary would carry the modified tune. Does anyone know if it loses its tune if disconnected from a battery source for an amount of time?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #260
Nutbutt

The PCM does not lose its tune if you disconnect power for any amount of time. It contains flash memory which retains its memory in the area where the tune is stored.
As for the BCM you would need to flash this every time you changed PCMs. That's $200 every time. Unless you now go purchase a BCM and replace in pairs with PCM. Hope you have an understanding dealer.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #261
RubyCamaro
Jan

Listen, I also purchased extended warranty. I accept that when I put on my headers & tune odds are good that if anything major goes wrong with the powertrain I am probably SOL. It always depends on a lot of factors. They are supposed to have to be able to show that the mods in question could have in fact caused or contributed to the failure/problem needing to be fixed. I could get a refund for the remaining warranty I bought, but why? I still may need it for something like power windows, a broken seat (I had the driver's side one fixed under warranty but what if the passenger side one breaks?) or some other part that has nothing to do with the power train. I may do all my mods & still never have any need for the warranty. At this point I am going to do what I want to do with my car & face what comes with my big girl panties on. I take my car to the Local dealership for their Camaro Homecoming event every year. They pretty much have seen what I have done under the hood & this year they will see the headers. If I ever need to take it in for service, I am not even going to bother to reflash the tune. I'm sure not going to take the headers off. Whatever happens, happens. I sure can't afford to replace the engine if it blows. I would just have to let Ruby sit until I could save up for an engine & be very sad until then.

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 03-22-2014 at 10:10 AM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #262
jtbravo

You are very right. I'm going to do what makes me happy. And a tune right now will would make me very happy (nudge... HPT). I was just trying to get the best of both worlds. There is no way I'm paying for a flash each time. Truth be told, barring any manufacturing issues, my car will never see a dealer maintenance bay. I am way too particular to trust a random mechanic with my camaro. I would rather void my warranty and do things right.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #263
RubyCamaro
Jan

I heard that! I stand & watch anyone doing anything to my car like a hawk! I have only needed to have the dealership work on my car a couple of times. One time it was in the main bay & I could watch them. The second time they took her into one of the new side bays & I could not see a thing. That made me crazy! Most stuff I have done at other places where I trust the guys but can still stand & watch.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #264
Nutbutt

Now back too our regularly scheduled wait for HPT. Saw a newly installed IPF SC on an LFX tuned with HPT ! I was sooooo jealous,it ran great and pulled some significant HP.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #265
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbravo View Post
SO from what I understand, the LLT does not do a flash count? I have a manual LLT. I've read that they can and cannot do a flash count. Ruby, I trust your input on this. Verbally, when I bought the car, the manager told me I can do bolt ons and not void the warranty. He said it would only void that part or parts that break subsequently from the mod. However, he did say that if I "chip" the car to remove it before I bring it in for service. But we all know that anything verbally from a dealership means nothing. I don't know anyone who does research and actually buys a "chip". I come from the import scene so a lot of the tuning came from piggy-backs, modding the sensor input numbers-manipulating the ECM to act in a certain way. Im not so much worried about the expense of buying a second PCM they are only $250 plus as NUTBUTT was quoted $200 to flash to the BCM. I spent an extra $1700, I think, for an extended warranty. Another $450 would be worth it to keep it. I would definitely keep the original PCM with its stock tune. The secondary would carry the modified tune. Does anyone know if it loses its tune if disconnected from a battery source for an amount of time?
Just so you know, there is a flash counter in the tcm

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #266
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Just so you know, there is a flash counter in the tcm

Thank you. I knew I wasn't crazy when I said it earlier.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote