Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #43
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
JDP Motorsports is a great company to work with. I ordered my RX through them and two days later it was shipped. Great communication and customer service. For those that don't have and are looking to get one and you drive your Camaro all year round in cold conditions, you may want to look at getting one with out a check valve.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #44
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I can't believe somebody would spend $35 grand for a camaro and then buy a cheap catch can. Check JDP as they sell the top cans. They are a great buch of guys there and will take great care of you.
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #45
2012REDSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Actually I spent 41 grand for my car and yes I have a cheap catch can ;-) other mods cost and I'm on a military budget.
2012REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #46
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I just emptied my RX catch can today. This is what came out from about 2 months of driving last fall before storing for the winter. I did several WOT's and spirited driving before I stored it. I'd say there's 2 or 3 teaspoons worth of oil there that would have been sucked into my intake and burned. These things do work and if you do a lot of WOT's I'd say they're worth having installed!
Attached Images

ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #47
RocTrux

Drives: Summit White 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012REDSS View Post
Why are you still putting this off? I have a cheapo ebay catch can that I didnt pay more then $25 for and after 2000 miles it caught this.

I can only imagine what one of the sponsers cans would have stopped. Stop putting this off and get a catch can.
Yeah you might want to upgrade that can this was mine after a few hundred miles I'm not sure exactly how many miles, I don't usually look at the mileage when I empty it ( I might next time just to check) but I'm sure it was less than 1000 I don't drive my car that much. I'v got a can from the Billet Depot and that filled the bottom part of the can that screws on. And I agree anything is better than nothing in this case.

In the bottom pic the can I have is the second from the left, works dam good IMO.
Attached Images

Last edited by RocTrux; 03-17-2012 at 08:29 PM.
RocTrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #48
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i would rather just have the cleaning done at 40k miles or what ever. seems like something i would do anyways. that why i really dont care about getting a can.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #49
Dieseldoug22

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Conv.
Here's my story. I just passed the break-in period. 1600 miles on the car with only a Solo Cat-Back exhaust, stock intake and everything else on the engine is stock. So I wasn't even driving it hard because of the break-in period. I decided to flip the fuel rail and took off the intake manifold. Every cylinder had the tell tale sign.

I was reading all the debate of getting one or not. If your FI, they say definitely. If your stock... well no real answer, either-or. Well I say... If your stock DEFINITELY!!!

And again this drippage is after 1600 miles.
Dieseldoug22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:43 AM   #50
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Sort or reminds me of a protein skimmer for salt water aquariums.. lol
Old 03-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #51
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldoug22 View Post
Here's my story. I just passed the break-in period. 1600 miles on the car with only a Solo Cat-Back exhaust, stock intake and everything else on the engine is stock. So I wasn't even driving it hard because of the break-in period. I decided to flip the fuel rail and took off the intake manifold. Every cylinder had the tell tale sign.

I was reading all the debate of getting one or not. If your FI, they say definitely. If your stock... well no real answer, either-or. Well I say... If your stock DEFINITELY!!!

And again this drippage is after 1600 miles.

I ran without my catch can for a while last summer and I saw the same as you have pictured when I flipped my fuel rails.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #52
SIMv6er

Drives: Silver Ice gas friendly muthaf**cka
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno camaro View Post
This doesn't explain what harm to the engine is done with out one. What is the advantage of having it? Is it just to prevent oil burn smell, if you have it?
If anyone can reply to me on this issue I'd greatly appreciate it. I purchased my RS camaro v6 about 10 months ago with 16000 miles on it. The car was bone stock and had no issues. I preceeded to get regular oil changes at about every 3500 miles and everytime i did they would allways say im a 1/4 to 3/4 quarts low on oil which is funny because i never had oil under the car.

Well.... u guessed it the f***ing oil is going into the intake manifold and 7 months ago my camaro went into the service department (thank the lord I got a warranty on my used car) and had everything down to the crank replaced due to a lack of oil at some point.

remember this was back in August

well ladies and gentlemen i thought id relax and go 5000 miles in between oil changes last time since the local shop recomends 7000 (seems stupidly high) and last wednesday it did it again, started hearing the chattering noise and they just called me to inform me that the main bearing spun due to again
LACK OF OIL,
im getting a new engine which is sweet but im definately getting a catch can not that it would have prevented this. But clearly our engines eat oil and can lead to CATASTROPHIC FAILURE... since owning my car I've had it for 10 months but only got to drive it 8. leaving a sour taste in my mouth.
mind you it's still bone stock and i dont drive like an A$$hole
SIMv6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #53
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Mostly because a very large percentage of muscle car owners are extremely anal. If they could get inside their engine and clean their pistons and valves, they would do it daily. OOOOOOO! GRIME! DIRT! GREASE! OIL! CARBON!
Are any of you getting nervous? Feel the need to clean something?
Just kidding guys n gals.
But personally, I dont see the need. If I treat this car well, it will last 200,000 miles +. My '89 Buick Century has 150,000........still runs like a top, no catch can. My neighbor just sold his 235,000 mile 2000 Chevy pick up, no catch can.
If you race, ther is a need.......but not for the majority of us.
Just my .02
I'm with you on this one. How are these LS engines lasting 200, 250, 300+ thousand miles without catch cans!!! Oh the insanity!!!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #54
'11 BadaSS/RS

Drives: all over the road...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMv6er View Post
If anyone can reply to me on this issue I'd greatly appreciate it. I purchased my RS camaro v6 about 10 months ago with 16000 miles on it. The car was bone stock and had no issues. I preceeded to get regular oil changes at about every 3500 miles and everytime i did they would allways say im a 1/4 to 3/4 quarts low on oil which is funny because i never had oil under the car.

Well.... u guessed it the f***ing oil is going into the intake manifold and 7 months ago my camaro went into the service department (thank the lord I got a warranty on my used car) and had everything down to the crank replaced due to a lack of oil at some point.

remember this was back in August

well ladies and gentlemen i thought id relax and go 5000 miles in between oil changes last time since the local shop recomends 7000 (seems stupidly high) and last wednesday it did it again, started hearing the chattering noise and they just called me to inform me that the main bearing spun due to again
LACK OF OIL,
im getting a new engine which is sweet but im definately getting a catch can not that it would have prevented this. But clearly our engines eat oil and can lead to CATASTROPHIC FAILURE... since owning my car I've had it for 10 months but only got to drive it 8. leaving a sour taste in my mouth.
mind you it's still bone stock and i dont drive like an A$$hole
If memory serves me correctly, GM states that an engine can burn 1qt per 2000mi, according to their TSB's.
'11 BadaSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #55
'11 BadaSS/RS

Drives: all over the road...
I highly doubt 1/4 - 3/4 qt low on oil would cause the bearing to spin. This seems like some other issue, maybe something before you bought the car.
'11 BadaSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #56
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
I change oil every 3,000 miles, and it has never been low yet, as far as the dipstick goes, I have never seen any car with a catch can from the factory.
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote