Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Spare Tire...

I have a 2012 2SS/RS convertible, IBM, with 20" Pin Zero tires. Love them, but nothing is perfect and the lack of a spare is disconcerting to say the least.

Read on some thread that the small spare available with some Camaros won't clear the Brembo brake calipers. Is that true. Also, I'm not sure that my car has a jack and lug wrench and if I could squeeze all in the trunk.

Does anyone know if the above is possible? I keep thinking of me on the side of the road with a hole in the tire so big that the inflation can being inserted into it would be the only way to affix a fix, such that it is. I just hate being in a fix....:(
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
ragtop11

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Said thing is on our 2SS/RS we do not have a spare only a small air compressor and fix a flat. No jack or lug wrench.
what I did was purchase a used 20" rim off of ebay (8x20 same as front) and then
a Cooper tire 245/45/20 (not a real expensive tire) when I go on a long trip I put the spare in the trunk facing down as then I can put some stuff inside the rim.
It takes up room put it's comforting to know that you have a full size spare that will work for the front or back.
I purshased the jack from the dealership that I brought the car from, thay gave me a discount, can't remember how much it was, but not expensive.
when just around town I leave the full spare at home, I still keep the air compressor
in the car and brought a tire plug kit, if I get a flat I can use the plug kit or
have someone pick up my spare from home. It's a PIA put I like the idea of the full size spare.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
Kits are available that include a jack, spare tire, and the necessary "spacers" needed to clear the Brem's.

Your Camaro has a mini aircompressor in the trunk. In case of a flat, you just hook it up to the valve stem and it pumps a liguid goo into the flat tire that inflates and seals the leak. Kinda like Fix-a-flat in a can. That works fine if it's a small nail hole or something, anything bigger ..... well good luck.
5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Wouldn't you need to carry two spares? The upgraded RS/SS wheels are different sizes, front and rear, and then there's the issue of Pirelli's being a directional tire, so if the flat was on the wrong side of the car, you'd be running a tire backwards according to how it's siped.

It's not very comforting knowing that if I get a flat tire during the zombie apocalypse that I have to rely on runflat technology and a can of goo. An extra tire/wheel would be preferable, especially on a long road trip so I could just change and not worry about getting a new tire until I reached my destination....
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
ragtop11

I checked it out with a tire dealer the fronts are 245/45/20 and the rears are
275/40/20, they are the same hieght, the only difference is the front wheels are 8" and rear are 9". The rear is a lower profile tire than the front.
You can use the spare 245/45/20 on any one of the corners.
I don't beleive the Pirelli's are directional, if they were they should have an arrow pointing for the forward direction. (like a motorcycle tire)
Also the owners manual says for the SS for tire rotation to just swap the fronts from
one side to the other, same goes for the rear. My dealer also confrimed this.
Even if the Pirelli's were directional you could still use it as a spare to get you home,
the worst thing is that you wear the tire out faster, Seen motorcycles tires mounted wrong, they wore out pretty fast.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtop11 View Post
I checked it out with a tire dealer the fronts are 245/45/20 and the rears are
275/40/20, they are the same hieght, the only difference is the front wheels are 8" and rear are 9". The rear is a lower profile tire than the front.
You can use the spare 245/45/20 on any one of the corners.
I don't beleive the Pirelli's are directional, if they were they should have an arrow pointing for the forward direction. (like a motorcycle tire)
Also the owners manual says for the SS for tire rotation to just swap the fronts from
one side to the other, same goes for the rear. My dealer also confrimed this.
Even if the Pirelli's were directional you could still use it as a spare to get you home,
the worst thing is that you wear the tire out faster, Seen motorcycles tires mounted wrong, they wore out pretty fast.
Interesting...I had assumed the Pirellis were directional, but I guess not? I'll have to check when I get home.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
I have one question, when did you last have a flat? I have been driving since 1976 and had one. But yes I think about it too, my 87 Silverado has 33" tires and no spare just like the SS. I'm Just playing the devils advocate here..
Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
ragtop11

I know whay you're saying, can't remember the last time I had a flat, but did have a nail in the tire a couple of times that I just happened to see before hand.
I did go the route with the spare because with my luck, if I didn't have one the first trip that I went on, guess what, I'd have a flat.
Now with the spare, I'll probably never get one.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
The PZeros are not directional... and you can rotate them left to right.

You can buy an 18" wheel and donut tire which will fit over the battery, under the mat in the trunk. A scissors jack and lug wrench will also fit beside the battery. Then all you need is a 1.75" lugged spacer to go between the hub and spare - this even clears the roller skate style weights on the front pads if your car has them.. There are several threads (that you can find with a search of this forum) with reviews on kits you can buy that include everything for around $400.

The compressor is very small, so if you get a spare you can keep the compressor in the trunk in case you have a slow leak.

I bought a kit on EBay and have not yet had to use it, but its comforting to know I have it.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
nealdiwes

Drives: 2011 camaro ls
Thats why I got the dealer to put a spare, jack, lug wrench and all the hardware in the trunk or NO SALE.
nealdiwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
I found 2 screws on separate occasions sticking out of my front tire (luckily neither punctured the tire), so I didn't want to take any more chances. I bought a used stock front rim from a member here. Then went to the dealer to get the jack, lug wrench, foam container, and bought a new Cooper Zeon RS3-S tire to mount on the rim. Like the P Zeros, it's non-directional, only being labeled "Outside" on the sidewall. Threw all that in my trunk so now if I get a flat in the front or rear, I can change it and continue on.

Last edited by djm96z28; 07-06-2012 at 11:39 AM.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
This is the guy that does the kits with the spacer.
dumars14892@yahoo.com

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
I have one question, when did you last have a flat? I have been driving since 1976 and had one. But yes I think about it too, my 87 Silverado has 33" tires and no spare just like the SS. I'm Just playing the devils advocate here..

If your near home, not as big of an issue. However it seems most tires stores no longer stock a lot of tires, especially in these sizes and brands, so it can take from a few hours to days to get one shipped to where you're at. Not to mention you now have to get towed to a tire shop or dealer, so if you have a front flat, its gonna be interesting getting it on a flatbed tow, since these cars barely make it on with fully inflated tires....the other side of your devils advocate argument...
Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I got a flat on my Impala on I-95 @ 4:00 AM inside the Baltimore Md tunnel last year.
The donut spare was only good for getting me off the interstate as it's
rated at 50 MPH MAX !
That's why on long trips I strap down a full front tire & wheel in the trunk of my SS.