Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
NEW Driveshaft shop High output axles!

Having worked along with the driveshaft shop guys for a while now, and using their products in our 160 mph+ 1/4mi C6Z, there shafts just don't break!

They recently just released a level 5 axles for the 2010 and up cars, and it couldn't have come any sooner, with all the reports of heads/cam, spray, blower, turbo car breaking the axles ect.

So check it out
"Description:The Level 5 axles for the new Camaro SS are designed to handle up to 1000HP. Using our chromoly center bars, 108mm Porsche-style CV's and bolt-on chromoly inner and outer stubs, these are a direct bolt-on that fit the stock hubs and come complete with all the necessary hardware. Not only will these axles handle the horsepower, we have used different diameter chromoly axle bars on each side which will eliminate wheelhop. Wheelhop at launch which can be extremely damaging to the drivetrain and makes getting traction very difficult. By allowing the axle bars to torsionally twist at different rates the result is traction, not wheelhop. These axles are priced as a set and have a 1-year warranty"

Feel free to ask questions and we will do our best to answer them asap.

Regards
-Brandon
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Damn those are expensive
Old 09-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Damn those are expensive
Not in the grand scheme of things, if someone has spent the money to get their car anywhere near 1000hp then this would be just another expense.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
Not in the grand scheme of things, if someone has spent the money to get their car anywhere near 1000hp then this would be just another expense.
Yes but if your one of those people pushing 600 and still breaking things...it kind of sucks...
Old 09-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
boostedyards86

Drives: Cummins 3500
gotta pay to play. running with the big boys is never cheap.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Cool stuff Brandon...

Nice axles.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
1BadaSS

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS 6spd
I can see these going into a lot of cars in the near future with all these cars shafts/axles going out!
1BadaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
IPS Brandon

After we snapped two axles and a drive shaft in just one car, we figured we should work on a solution! We are offering free shipping to help a little, but these axles just use expensive components that will yield great strength and reliability!

-Brandon
Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Damn those are expensive
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/pdetail.php?pid=702
Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #10
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedyards86 View Post
gotta pay to play. running with the big boys is never cheap.
Sure but you shouldn't have to get raped. $1,800+ for a set and I still want them...
Old 09-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
This subject has everything in it and it is the result of what some have been concerned with from the onset. Now we are finding out that even with the non-modded engines that the current axle design is causing wheel hop (as always suspected and known) which causes the CV boot to come loose and then the grease and then the joint failure. If the IPS design is truely sound it will cure the ailment but the other contraversy not yet mentioned here is the instant loss of any drivetrain warranty from GM since this is a non GM part. Truely the definition of mixed emotions.
The other thing to consider, IF one is lucky enough to get GM to warrant a replacement, it will most likely be the same part or slightly bigger and that person will most likely be going back more times for the same thing.

Had I known and if it were even possible, I would have negotiated OUT the warranty cost all together and just take the 90 day mandatory and leave the rest to my own accord. But that was not an option. grrrrrr.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:44 AM   #12
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
This subject has everything in it and it is the result of what some have been concerned with from the onset. Now we are finding out that even with the non-modded engines that the current axle design is causing wheel hop (as always suspected and known) which causes the CV boot to come loose and then the grease and then the joint failure.
Just to clarify things, The cv boot doesn't come loose first.
The joint fails first, causing the pieces to fly apart, which blows the boot off, resulting in grease all over the place. If the boot came off first it would take quite a while before the joint failed, usually in this scenario you would hear the joint making all kinds of noise as the grease washes away from the joint. Which would take quite a few days of driving.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
IPS Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
This subject has everything in it and it is the result of what some have been concerned with from the onset. Now we are finding out that even with the non-modded engines that the current axle design is causing wheel hop (as always suspected and known) which causes the CV boot to come loose and then the grease and then the joint failure. If the IPS design is truely sound it will cure the ailment but the other contraversy not yet mentioned here is the instant loss of any drivetrain warranty from GM since this is a non GM part. Truely the definition of mixed emotions.
The other thing to consider, IF one is lucky enough to get GM to warrant a replacement, it will most likely be the same part or slightly bigger and that person will most likely be going back more times for the same thing.

Had I known and if it were even possible, I would have negotiated OUT the warranty cost all together and just take the 90 day mandatory and leave the rest to my own accord. But that was not an option. grrrrrr.
Honestly if the axles break over and over, warranty is not really a concern, its just frustration at that point, and I agree with you about the 90 day warranty.

These axles are very similar in design to others we have used, they will hold up as good as anything available currently.

Regards
Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
looks good. I'll more than likely be grabbing a set of these for my soon to be everyday driven Procharged Camaro. I like things bullet proof. Not half @$$ed.

Since you guys obviously play with allot of Camaros and vettes. Once these axles are replaced, how is the rest of the camaro diff strength wise?

What about the stock driveshaft? Should that be replaced as well? Carbon Fibre or aluminum for a replacement? Thanks....
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote