Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Brake pads for SS Brembos?

I'm upgrading to the SS brakes on my car (swapping my brakes with someone) and he suggested I replace the pads when we do the swap. Can you all tell me what pads I should look into? What kind come on the SS? Ceramic or metallic? Can they be had cheaply or should I pony up for expensive ones? I'm kinda broke right now and don't mind going cheap if the stopping distance is still as good as or better than my V6's and I can put more expensive pads on down the road.

Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks guys!

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
MRGOODWRENCH3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I did the upgrade from Brake Performance. I am running their Ceramic Pads with Slotted and Dimpled Rotors. Great stopping power and they look great. Another great feature is they have the noise reduction "roller skates" built into the pads.

MRGOODWRENCH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
obe1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM, 1995 Blown Z28
The stock pads with the SS Brembo system have good stopping power, the problem is that they generate a lot of brake dust and get your rims dirty quickly. I swithced to the Hawk Ceramic pads that greatly reduce dusting and provide equivalent stopping power.
2019 Corvette Grand Sport
obe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
You'll hear a lot about Hawk pads, you might even hear a lot about them squeaking. This will then turn into "mine are fine, you didn't bed them right" and then "yes I did, they still make noise".

I went with wagner thermoquiet semi metalli from Advance auto. If memory serves, they were around 60 bucks an axle. Way less dust than stock and stop great w/ my new slotted rotors from brake performance.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I went with Hawks ceramic pads 99% of the brake dust is gone vs. the GM pads
Old 07-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
dcplus14

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS/Hurst
I heard there are 2 types of hawk pads. One is a performance pad where there will be more noise and more dust compared to stock. Another is an OEM style pad where there is significantly less dust, but the performance (or is it noise) is not as good as stock.

Can someone confirm?
[AAC DRL LED's, AAC LED's for trunk, cabin, license plate, CAI Intake, RX Catch Can, Skip shift eliminator, Pedders Sub-Frame Inserts, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pedders Rack & Pinion Bushing, 1LE front and rear sway bars]
dcplus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Factory brakes are squealing at 6000 miles. Also interested in a new set a pads that reduce dust and won't squeak this soon.