Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Zackety93

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 6-speed manual
Brake Squeak?? Again???

Over the past few weeks, I've been working with some video footage of my 2010 SS and trying to get some stuff to play with. I've done a few burnouts here and there.. (all with the tc/abs turned off.. I'm not a complete moron ) and driven it slightly harder than I normally do on a daily basis, but nothing TOO stressful. I've noticed that since it has gotten colder also, my brake noise has come back. I had my oil changed at my mechanic over the weekend.. and I asked him to take a look at my pads and see if there was anything that I hadn't noticed. They looked like they had plenty of meat left on them? After the service, he told me they still have about 70% life left on them. They're ceramic pads, though, I don't know what brand. I have read that the Hawk pads that come in the yellow box are no-noise performance pads that may solve my issue.. But I almost can't justify switching pads when they still have 70% left? Is there anything I can do to eliminate this noise? It's only during the last bit of braking before I stop completely.. say 7mph-0mph. But it's extremely loud and gets some very embarassing looks at stop lights I can't stand unwanted noises coming from anywhere on a vehicle... So if buying new/better pads is needed, I'm more than happy to do so... But not if there's an easier, cheaper solution. The main portion of the noise seems to be coming from the right front if that helps at all. Thanks in advance!
Zackety93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
Somebody mentioned something about a gel that you can spray on your brake pads. What kind of gel? But look into it, maybe.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
Master Shake

Drives: Camaro LS
A lot of places used to use copper grease, but if any of it gets into the ABS sensors, it can mess up your ABS system -- so be careful if you use any spray's or greases. Make sure they are compatible with ABS systems.

You might also want to ask your mechanic about brake shims.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...rake-shims.htm
Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Zackety93

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 6-speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
A lot of places used to use copper grease, but if any of it gets into the ABS sensors, it can mess up your ABS system -- so be careful if you use any spray's or greases. Make sure they are compatible with ABS systems.

You might also want to ask your mechanic about brake shims.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...rake-shims.htm
Thanks! I cleaned the rotors and pads with some copper grease carefully, then washed my car and rinsed them out good with the hose. Seems to have worked for now at least. I'll definitely look into shims... and choose my own brand of pads the next time I change them.
Zackety93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Y2J
Return of the #3

Drives: 2010 Camaro L99 2SS/RS
My brakes sound like a train pulling into station all the time. Makes me laugh.
Current Performance Mods: APEX Catch Can, APEX Cool Air Intake Scoop with Washer Fluid Tank Replacement Kit, ARH 2" Long Tube Headers Long System, BMR 1.25" Lowering Springs, CAI Cool Air Intake, SLP Loud Mouth Axel-back Exhaust, VMAX Ported Throttle Body
Cosmetic Mods: ACS Z28 Inspired Rear Spoiler Satin Black, Anzo Gloss Black Tail Light Bezels, Casper Electronics Sequential Turn Signal Kit, Factory Reproduction Style 41 ZL1 Gloss Black Rims, JDP Red Front Tow Hook, Sparks Restorations Black on Black SS Trunk Emblem, ZL1 Addons Front Rock Guards
Y2J is offline   Reply With Quote