Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
Hammer St. James

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
First thing; some sealant/wax, quality microfiber towels, 2 buckets, uv protectant, floor mats, and a Louisville Slugger.
I'm a rebel. I will not allow anyone to dictate what I do, when I do it, or who I do it with. I feel sorry for those that choose to compromise their goals, dreams, needs, and desires to appease the control of another. I believe in freedom. I am an American.
-HSJ
Hammer St. James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by colingordon View Post
I agree I plan on keeping this for a long time also and maybe passing it down or something like that. Thank you for telling me about the catch can I am going to look into that. But pretty much my goal is mainly performance with style. I want new rims and Oracle headlights and some tint and maybe some vinyl stripes but that all together will be about $550.00 (without the rims), so I just need to see what performance parts I want first probably a CAI Air Intake, catch can (Thanks you you )
and a exhaust at first. Then I will see what I have left over and save up for the next item I want
Check out the Catch Can thread, if you haven't already. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224810
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer St. James View Post
First thing; some sealant/wax, quality microfiber towels, 2 buckets, uv protectant, floor mats, and a Louisville Slugger.

,........ I'd invest in products to keep your new Camaro well taken care of first. Take your time on choosing what you want for the rest of your mods, There are a lot of good products available for the 5th gen Camaros and some, not so much, have a plan on what you want to accomplish and spend your dollars wisely.

Congrats on your new Camaro

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
MediumLabowski

Drives: '16 FiST
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010camarolt View Post
wheels

If you cant get 2k again for a while, you'll regret not getting wheels. Everything else is a couple hundred here, a few hundred there.

Dont get wheels and come see me in 2 months, so i can say "i told you so"
MediumLabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
There is also no Vararam intake for the LFX engine, nor is there a plenum spacer available.

John B.

Should have read closer.

entire foot in mouth and I exit

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #20
NoSyT
It's a Three Six, Vee Six

Drives: '12 AGM 2LT/RS & '14 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
I am getting a 2012 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I'm thinking it really depends on what your reason for making mods is. For instance, I love the looks of my 1LT/RS so I'm not spending $$$ on asthetics.

The sound needs some help and I'd like to get max MPGs, so I've ordered MRT-V2 Axleback exhaust and CAI Cold Air Induction. Both are said to increase HP and MPG.

My other concern is keeping my inner engine clean and efficient so, I have ordered an RX Catch Can as well.

So as I said, I think YOU have to pick your priorities once you've put a few miles on it. If I could make only one mod, I'd probably choose the Catch Can. I know the engines are designed to function just fine without it, but I plan on having this car a lonnnnnnnng time. Dirty engine = not good.
Great advice from Palmer here. Set your priorities and go from there. My 1st priority was to get rid of the weak OEM exhaust. I got the MRT V2 exhaust, a CAI Inc Cold Air kit, and the RX catch can to take care of the internals. I've got pics in my garage if you want to check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfarley View Post
In this order:

Get Ashen Gray Metallic
More good advice!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #21
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSyT View Post
Great advice from Palmer here. Set your priorities and go from there. My 1st priority was to get rid of the weak OEM exhaust. I got the MRT V2 exhaust, a CAI Inc Cold Air kit, and the RX catch can to take care of the internals. I've got pics in my garage if you want to check them out.
Exactly my mods, in the same order. Great minds think alike (I hope). Just finished with the MRT-V2. Awaiting arrival of CAI and Catch Can.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #22
NoSyT
It's a Three Six, Vee Six

Drives: '12 AGM 2LT/RS & '14 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Exactly my mods, in the same order. Great minds think alike (I hope). Just finished with the MRT-V2. Awaiting arrival of CAI and Catch Can.
The CAI will change the sound under your hood as much as the MRT V2 exhaust changed the sound out the back. Gret ready for more permagrin!

Old 06-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #23
brandonrr
LFX is not the average V6

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
are you set on getting the 2LS? the lower diff ratio will make the car slower on acceleration and the automatic transmission will reduce your power output at the wheels even further.

if you aren't completely determined to get an automatic, maybe you should consider getting the 1LS. the higher diff ratio and more efficient transmission will help the car feel and run faster. having a stick-shift will also allow you to enjoy your mods even more.

also, i still haven't seen any confirmation as to whether the 2012 V6 camaros have a flash counter, but if they don't or you aren't too concerned about the powertrain warranty, a tune will also give a nice little power boost, especially if you get the 2LS. on the automatic, the tune also optimizes the transmission to give the car a much sportier feel and better/faster shifting and better shift-points. that will make a big difference, since the automatics like to keep the RPMs a bit too low and the tune fixes the car from shifting into too high of a gear too soon. i can only imagine that effect would be worse on the 2LS, due to the lower diff ratio.
brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSyT View Post
The CAI will change the sound under your hood as much as the MRT V2 exhaust changed the sound out the back. Get ready for more permagrin!

Excellent!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
Omaha
Living life in the curves

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS VR M6
Clear bra. Great investment.
Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #26
colingordon
Her Name is Mila

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT A6, 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha View Post
Clear bra. Great investment.
what exactly is a clear bra? I have a idea but I am not sure
colingordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #27
Omaha
Living life in the curves

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS VR M6
Quote:
what exactly is a clear bra? I have a idea but I am not sure
It's a clear film that can be fitted over the front bumper and hood. It prevents road chips and bug debris from damaging the paint on the front end of your car. I have it on my Camaro and it's a really good investment if you want to keep the front from getting messed up from debris on the road. Do a search for 3M clear bra.
Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #28
mdiaz0618

Drives: 2012 1LS
I got my 1ls in Feburary, and first thing i did was get rims, then i got tint, intake, now im searching for a good sounding cat-back exhaust. Clear bra is a good option too.
mdiaz0618 is offline   Reply With Quote