Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #85
Ronin_2SS
Loving My LS3

Drives: 2010 Summit white 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Ronin_2SS
Some people see an innocent child robbed of a future. Ignoring the facts because of age and race. Offended by the officers judgment because it was a toy. As if their civilian experience holds more ground over those who are trained to handle the situation. Realistic minded people see a bad situation that ended horribly. People who know that a .308 round will go right through kevlar. People who know that at that moment will a person lay down his/her life and lose their family and all they have lived for to be proven wrong about a realistic weapon being pointed at them? Kid did everything you're NOT supposed to do when having a toy like that and he paid the price for it. Life goes on.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #86
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksmoke View Post
A 13 year old kid is dead. I really do not understand how any one can be blaming him. He was walking home, he wasn't in a public building waving around his pellet gun causing a scene. The kid was walking home from most likely playing with his friends which I can bet majority of people including myself have done when you were younger. (IE walked home from playing paintball..airsoft etc.) The officers yelled to him when his back was to them and as he turned they opened fire? Its a tough situation to be in being an officer, but more restraint should have been taken besides immediately resulting to opening fire before the facts are known. No on was in immediate danger. Situation couldve been handled better imo..
Did you miss the part where he raised the rifle and didn't drop it when ordered to? That right there is justification to open fire.

I really don't understand how anyone can defend his actions. It was his own fault, plain and simple.

And yeah, I've walked home from a friend's house after playing airsoft, with my airsoft rifle and pistol IN A BAG. I wasn't openly carrying what could be easily mistaken for a real firearm.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #87
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
if someone raised a gun towards me, and I had a means to end the threat on my life, I will.. not only would I expire any and all rounds necessary to end the threat, but I would change mags and check for any additional threats.. statistics are useless while the aggressor is engaged.. the Left does not understand this.. they want to make the victims the aggressor and the aggressor the victim.. that is why they advocate for disarming the population.. they are terrified of the accountability that comes with living in a Republic...
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #88
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
A 13 year old kid is dead. I really do not understand how any one can be blaming him. He was walking home, he wasn't in a public building waving around his pellet gun causing a scene. The kid was walking home from most likely playing with his friends which I can bet majority of people including myself have done when you were younger. (IE walked home from playing paintball..airsoft etc.) The officers yelled to him when his back was to them and as he turned they opened fire? Its a tough situation to be in being an officer, but more restraint should have been taken besides immediately resulting to opening fire before the facts are known. No on was in immediate danger. Situation couldve been handled better imo..
He was walking home with an illegal modification to his gun, and then he pointed it at a cop. There's a reason they put orange tips on them.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:11 AM   #89
Envy
Bully Proof

Drives: C5 COTW 1/31/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
if someone raised a gun towards me, and I had a means to end the threat on my life, I will.. not only would I expire any and all rounds necessary to end the threat, but I would change mags and check for any additional threats.. statistics are useless while the aggressor is engaged.. the Left does not understand this.. they want to make the victims the aggressor and the aggressor the victim.. that is why they advocate for disarming the population.. they are terrified of the accountability that comes with living in a Republic...
Your comment is out of place since NO ONE is talking about statistics here...not to mention the political overtone is very insulting. This is not a discussion about disarming Americans and I don't see a single comment that even implies that should be done...so who's the one that appears terrified now?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #90
Ronin_2SS
Loving My LS3

Drives: 2010 Summit white 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Ronin_2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
...not to mention the political overtone is very insulting.
So you got offended for him being in your opinion offensive...big deal. There was no overtone. It was pretty clear what he meant in a general fashion. Move along.

Last edited by Ronin_2SS; 10-27-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Ronin_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #91
Ksmoke

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT/RS
Cause were supposed to believe everything a news agency says and cause it's a cop we have to take his word for it. Because cops are never wrong.
Ksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #92
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Cause we're supposed to believe every 13yo kid is innocent and can do no wrong. Oh wait, he already modified his gun to look like the real thing. Don't think the media or cop did that for him.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #93
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Cause were supposed to believe everything a news agency says and cause it's a cop we have to take his word for it. Because cops are never wrong.
What's your proof that they aren't wrong in this case? saying "yeah cops are never wrong, right!" is wonderful but we're not talking about whether or not every word from every cop's mouth is true.

We are talking about this instance. What tells you that the cop is lying?

You are taking two and two and getting five based on your bias, it seems to me

And re: "open carry" that I've seen mention of-

Open carry is for firearms, whether it's legal in your area or not. if you want to say "well is this an 'open carry' area?" then bear in mind that this means that the airsoft gun is considered a firearm to fall under that condition. Now look at the questions being raised.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #94
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
2 complete different situations?

One situation a kid walking down the street with a toy gun and the other a kid in the process of slicing someone? The two don't even relate.

Sure they do. Maybe not to you because you have the benefit of all facts before you. remove the facts that you know, which the police could not have known.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #95
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Reading more about this, one cop was a 25 year vet, while the other was a new hire. The 25yr vet is the one that opened fire. So I think you would need to know his background, before judging him as a trigger happy cop. They usually don't become trigger happy over night, unless there was some tragic event that happened to him. So depending on his prior record, if it's clean, I see no reason to lump him in with some of the bad cops you might have heard about.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #96
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Just a tragic situation......my thoughts and prayers go out to the officers involved and the family of that juvenile...
I can only hope that in the 10 yrs or so I have left on the job, I don't have to deal with a similar situation.
Its extremely easy to Monday Morning Quarterback" the situation from the comforts of our computers......especially when most people wouldn't know how they would react under that extreme stress....I can tell you even when in training scenarios...it's a bitch!!!
The number of shots fired in this incident isn't excessive.....when in fear for your life emptying a magazine takes no time at all..... people need to realize that just because you strike someone with one bullet doesn't mean the situation or threat is over....in one of our last shootings the victim was hit 8 times in the chest/head from about 10ft away and ran almost a block before he laid down and died....if he had been armed that's plenty of time to fire back at an attacker.....I blame the movies for the misconception that one bullet ends the fight immediately...in real life it usually doesn't happen that way. (Side note... the shooter in the above murder was 15 going on 16 years old and was supposed to be on home confinement for shooting someone else)
and chances are...especially in the city I work in....if you are walking down the street carrying an assault rifle or what looks like an assault rifle...you can count on being contacted by the police or someone calling the police to have you contacted.

As for trigger happy cops....... just ask a LEO what its like to be involved in an internal affairs investigation of that magnitude....... especially when officers you work with every day are sitting in front of you reading you your Miranda rights.....makes certain parts of your anatomy pucker up...... you'll never want to pull the trigger at all let alone be trigger happy.

Last edited by SILVERHAWK; 10-27-2013 at 04:34 PM.
SILVERHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #97
Ksmoke

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT/RS
What's the proof to say they were right? I'm not trying to bash law enforcement or anything. But there are plenty of times when cops say one thing happened wheb reality was different. I feel a little more restriction could have been used in this case. They said he turned and pointed it at him. For all we know the cops yelled to him and he started to turn around cause for all we know he didn't know what they were yelling and the cops took that as him pointing the gun at them. In the end this is my opinion. The only thing that has bothered me is people saying this kid was stupid..it's his fault etc. the kid was 13 and is now dead. A little self control from people on the forums would be good too. There's most likely 100 more facts that are unknown. And as for it being modified, you can buy replica parts that are not* painted orange, pretty common thing.
Ksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #98
JasonK

Drives: 2010 Camaro
So can you not open carry in This State?

Maybe we should all paint an orange tip on our guns....