Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Should Brembo's be an option for V6's with RS package?
Yes 38 66.67%
No 19 33.33%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Brembo option on V6

Was wondering if you guys think the V6 should have the option of Brembo brakes. I personally really really want this to be avaliable, but the poll is for if you think it SHOULD be an option, not necessarily that you WANT it. I understand the calipers require big wheels, but I want the RS package which would be big enough (right?). To me, the 20" wheels on the RS package have way too much empty space inside the wheel with regular brakes. The Brembo's really fill the gap nicely. I almost want to say that they should strait up add like 3-piston Brembos onto the RS package, but some people will not want that, which is fine. But from a safety standpoint, being able to stop 20 feet (or whatever it is) less is something I would really want.

So should Brembo's be an option for V6 buyers who also got the RS?

Last edited by kanys; 08-16-2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
Was wondering if you guys think the V6 should have the option of Brembo brakes. I personally really really want this to be avaliable, but the poll is for if you think it SHOULD be an option, not necessarily that you WANT it. I understand the calipers require big wheels, but I want the RS package which would be big enough (right?).

So should Brembo's be an option for V6 buyers who also got the RS?

No.....

Don't think it would come with brembos, but I think the dealer would install them as a custom option but it will cost you

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
a12ozbottle

Drives: 2006 GMC Yukon
I think it would be a great idea. They could make a performance package for the V6, as long as the total cost didn't go over the base SS.
a12ozbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
For some reason i through they did offer them. But that they just werent as big. I know you can get 20in wheels with the RS package so you could always get them one way or the other.
ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
kanys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Don't think it would come with brembos, but I think the dealer would install them as a custom option but it will cost you
Yeah this is what I am worried about. Like you said I am almost posotive the dealer will be able to install them but it will hurt. I can't imagine it would be that hard to slap these brakes on an LT/RS, so hopefully GM will make it an option (so vote yes! lol)
Old 08-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
They should be an option. If they aren't, you can always get your own. Since this is an aftermarket company, it will drive down the price of the option and the car to not offer this through GM. You may want to consider getting Brembos on your own and selling your existing brakes via eBay, Craigslist, or some other method.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I voted for them as an option. Otherwise, I'll probably be buying my own (or at least 2-3 piston calipers as opposed to the 1 pots).
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
kanys

Do you know how less expensive those 2-3's would be? And where is the best place to install?
Old 08-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
It may be different for most cars, but I think you usually have to give about 3.5 to 4 inches of clearance for brakes. Using that formula, the brembos with 14 inch front and 14.4 inch rear rotors just might fit the 18 inch wheels.

This is all just from observation. I've seen exceptions to this rule, but not all the time.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
I voted no, but now that I think about it more, I guess it would be okay as an option. I mean, the 09 Cobalt SS has brembos, why not the Maro?
On a side note, that Cobalt is one qiuck little car!
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:30 PM   #11
kanys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
I voted no, but now that I think about it more, I guess it would be okay as an option. I mean, the 09 Cobalt SS has brembos, why not the Maro?
On a side note, that Cobalt is one qiuck little car!
Yeah this was part of my reasoning, considering they are both "fast cars" (yeah the Cobalt is significantly faster than V6 Maro). But, I figured the Camaro should have these avaliable for those people who want to be able to stop similarly to cars like the Cobalt SS, and this would only be an attainable goal with some Brembos. That and I think they look awesome .
Old 08-15-2008, 11:39 PM   #12
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
Yeah this was part of my reasoning, considering they are both "fast cars" (yeah the Cobalt is significantly faster than V6 Maro). But, I figured the Camaro should have these avaliable for those people who want to be able to stop similarly to cars like the Cobalt SS, and this would only be an attainable goal with some Brembos. That and I think they look awesome .
It's also worth noting that the Camaro has more mass to consider than the Cobalt. By being heavier, the Camaro could better use more powerful brakes.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:47 PM   #13
kanys

^ very good point, I think I may have been unconsciously hinting at that....maybe. But yeah, 1,000 lbs is quite a bit of weight difference lol! A sportscar with that much weight should be able to have some nice brakes imo.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #14
K-soldier

Drives: mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Nissan
i'm definitely for brembo brakes they should have it as an option it would be nice to have them as an option. if not I will install them myself good braking makes the car much more feel secure specially under pressure. regular brake give up easily. besides brake performance as someone mentioned I hate to see huge gaps between the rotors and rims. so yes they look much better beside performance
K-soldier is offline   Reply With Quote