Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-16-2024, 01:22 PM   #1933
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Cybertruck In The Wild!

Was at the post office today and look what pulled in

Some observations...

It is hard to appreciate how comically big it is until you stand next to one. I should have parked the Camaro next to it for comparison.

They draw a crowd. Don't get one if you don't like attention.

It is way cooler in person than in pictures. Way cooler. I half expected one of those silver robots from old sci-fi movies to step out.

It would be fun to drive around for a few weeks but way too big to actually own.

This one is a Beast so you wouldn't want to race it.

All-in-all a memorable encounter.
Attached Images

Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:29 AM   #1934
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
^ dumpster with windows and doors as a kind gesture for the homeless living inside.
Comic inspired indeed.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:30 AM   #1935
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Name:  elon vacation.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  53.1 KB

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:04 PM   #1936
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
^ Now that's funny.

I want to drive one. I also want to see one in person, but haven't had the opportunity yet. I imagine it's like the first time I got up close to a Bentley Continental Flying Spur for the first time. It looks like a normal sedan in pictures but is a Chevy Suburban - sized car in real life.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:24 PM   #1937
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
^ Now that's funny.

I want to drive one. I also want to see one in person, but haven't had the opportunity yet. I imagine it's like the first time I got up close to a Bentley Continental Flying Spur for the first time. It looks like a normal sedan in pictures but is a Chevy Suburban - sized car in real life.
I have a friend at GM who was driving an Escalade ESV (Cadillac badged Suburban) as a company car and also has a ‘73 Eldorado Convertible. Guess which one has to kiss the front wall in order to close the garage door?
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 05:06 PM   #1938
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I have a friend at GM who was driving an Escalade ESV (Cadillac badged Suburban) as a company car and also has a ‘73 Eldorado Convertible. Guess which one has to kiss the front wall in order to close the garage door?
I'm guessing the Eldo can barely squeeze in the garage but the ESV feels roomier in side, even for 7 passengers.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:29 AM   #1939
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Sold it about 12 years ago but I want to say my old '76 Eldo measured around 18'6" or so.

A marvel of analog tech for its time. Full size back seat convertible, outside temp gauge, optical indicators on the fenders, thermostat temperature, seek control on the radio, rear seat entertainment controls, some even had a primitive airbag (probably dangerous). ...and of course ash trays and lighters in all four corners.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:18 PM   #1940

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
1973 El Dorado Convertible: OAL 222" (18.5')

Cadillac Escalade ESV: OAL 226.9" (18.9')

(I thought the El Dorado would be the longer of the two.)
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 06:21 AM   #1941
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Saw this article today according to the article the focus for GM and Ford is now gas powered trucks as EV growth slows. As well as investors focusing on less EV reliant automakers. Here is a quote from the article "Evercore ISI analyst Chris McNally said in a research note that the momentum has shifted for the previous winners like Tesla as growth in EV sales slows. Investors have refocused instead on GM, Stellantis, Toyota and others that rely less on EVs, he added."

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/04/19/...ViC_EuK5Ihkq5k
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 08:47 AM   #1942
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
March Europe (EU) sales:
-EU registrations fell by 5.2 percent in March compared with March 2023
-Sales of EVs fell by 11.3 percent as buyers shunned full-electric power
-Hybrid registrations climbed 12.3 percent, but PHEV sales fell by 6.5 percent

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/04/ev...r-market-dips/

Other clickbait EV skeptic headlines from that site this week:
EU Introduces New Cybersecurity Rules As EVs Are Deemed “Spying Machines On Four Wheels”
https://www.carscoops.com/2024/04/eu...n-four-wheels/

BP’s EV Charging Division Trims 10% Of Workforce, Narrows Focus
https://www.carscoops.com/2024/04/bp...narrows-focus/

Tesla To Slash Over 10% Of Its Workforce As EV Slowdown Hits
https://www.carscoops.com/2024/04/te...slowdown-hits/

CATL’s Boss Doesn’t Think Solid-State Batteries Will Be Viable Any Time Soon
https://www.carscoops.com/2024/04/ca...any-time-soon/

(USA)
New-Car Transaction Prices Haven’t Been This Low For Nearly Two Years
Despite recent drops, new-vehicle prices are still up 15.5 percent versus March 2021
"...the average transaction price for a new electric vehicle decreasing by 9 percent in Q1 of this year compared to Q1, 2023. Much of that drop can be attributed to Tesla’s price cuts, which account for one quarter of all EV prices, but increased prices for the recently facelifted Tesla Model 3 were also responsible for a small rise in EV transaction prices..."
https://www.carscoops.com/2024/04/ne...rly-two-years/

Last edited by genxer; 04-20-2024 at 09:09 AM.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 09:43 AM   #1943
Evergreen6

Edit: Haha!!

Last edited by Evergreen6; 04-21-2024 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:02 AM   #1944
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
More government intervention is the path to profitability! Meanwhile...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/least...101800511.html

Again, lets be clear, nobody is forcing you to buy an EV... you can still walk, ride a bike, or drive your used ICE vehicle past 300k miles. The article goes on to explain how to profit from government manipulation of the automotive marketplace.
Those must be old numbers. Last month when I looked up recent numbers 17 states already banned new ICE's in 2035, 9 states have legislation currently up for vote to ban ICE's in 2035, and 2 states have banned ICE's but haven't determined the start date yet.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:27 AM   #1945
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ome-profitable

More government intervention is the path to profitability! Meanwhile...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/least...101800511.html

Again, let’s be clear, nobody is forcing you to buy an EV... you can still walk, ride a bike, or drive your used ICE vehicle past 300k miles. The article goes on to explain how to profit from government manipulation of the automotive marketplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Those must be old numbers. Last month when I looked up recent numbers 17 states already banned new ICE's in 2035, 9 states have legislation currently up for vote to ban ICE's in 2035, and 2 states have banned ICE's but haven't determined the start date yet.
Just for the sake of completeness…
  • The CARB regulation bans SALE of NEW ICE
  • It does not ban operation of ICE already owned
  • It does not ban the sale of USED ICE

So, until someone finds the time, energy, and support to close the loopholes, residents of the states that follow the CARB regulation can still drive the ICE cars they have and/or buy used ICE, including Certified Pre-Owned (CPO). So I would expect that OEMs will be bringing CPO from products sold new in adjacent states into the CARB states. I would if I was a dealer.

TBH - by the time we get to 2035, CARB will likely have revised the regulation to something a bit more palatable. There’s precedence for that. Basically every CARB ZEV regulation since 1993 has been modified several times before they actually took effect.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 04-21-2024, 01:07 PM   #1946
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

My current situation… Hanging out at the beach waiting to deliver a keynote address to the 100th Battery Council International Convention. Topic is the 100 (plus) year partnership of cars and batteries, plus a look at what’s coming. Primarily, the impending shift from Lead Acid to Li-Ion for low voltage EV batteries (12 - 48V).
Attached Images