Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #113
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
GM warranties it's junk pumps for 3 years correct? What is the warranty on the superior melling pump? If the melling engineers have everything figured out and redesigned the pump, they should feel comfortable giving a better warranty than GM, especially seeing that melling will never be covering any labor costs. What is the melling pump warranty?
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #114
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
GM warranties it's junk pumps for 3 years correct? What is the warranty on the superior melling pump? If the melling engineers have everything figured out and redesigned the pump, they should feel comfortable giving a better warranty than GM, especially seeing that melling will never be covering any labor costs. What is the melling pump warranty?
I'm not sure of their warranty and I'm not saying the pump is superior. I am saying that the Melling pump has improvements to some of the potential problems the oem pump has. Melling's pump still has to fit and function within the design GM came up with. Also the Melling pump, being an aftermarket replacement, is also subject to non-professional installations.

I'm curious, are you thinking there is no problem with the pumps themselves and that all the failures are due to poor maintenance, shoddy installation of various components or customer abuse?
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #115
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Lol your in the wrong hobby if your looking for rational. I've been doing this for a long time. To end your rational search you don't have to get a melling keep your warranties GM pump and stop steering the OP's thread into a debate. Yes the melling is superior that's a FACT, no not all GM pumps will fail but their record has been documented since 1997 since the Ls1 and its basically the same damn motor with bigger bores ALL of the LsX's. The OP knows what he's doing, you don't come across like you do.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #116
StephenS_84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Lol your in the wrong hobby if your looking for rational. I've been doing this for a long time. To end your rational search you don't have to get a melling keep your warranties GM pump and stop steering the OP's thread into a debate. Yes the melling is superior that's a FACT, no not all GM pumps will fail but their record has been documented since 1997 since the Ls1 and its basically the same damn motor with bigger bores ALL of the LsX's. The OP knows what he's doing, you don't come across like you do.
StephenS_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #117
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
Quote:
I am not looking for an excuse. I am looking for rational. When one of the above posters has a pump that has already done 120,000 + miles, the intrinsic design flaw theory looses some credibility.
There are a million chrysler k cars still running and driving around...it doesnt detract from the fact they are complete pieces of cheap poorly engineered shit.

All it means is that there are a million buffoons who are willing to change a head gasket every 6 months.

Lets get back to to the much much higher count of people with oil pump problems, vs the one random slick50 golden poster child.

I mean, is the one person born with a 3rd nipple a super hero, or a freak?

There have been more problems with oil pumps alone in my short time on this board alone to know there is a quality issue, and possibly a bunch of other issues compounding it like mentioned earlier.
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #118
LeanPocket

Drives: 2010 2SS
For scientific purposes.. Someone should open up another oil pump and see if there is any scarring similar to the OP's oil pump. Specifically one that hasn't been taken off and put back on. I'd like to volunteer mine when I proceed with the heads/cam swap later this year.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #119
gnturboray

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
When my LS3 pump went out I had several excellent tuner shops in my area tell me to go to the GM high volume pump over the Melling. I'm sure it was personal preference but I went with the new GM pump. No issues.
gnturboray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 AM   #120
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnturboray View Post
When my LS3 pump went out I had several excellent tuner shops in my area tell me to go to the GM high volume pump over the Melling. I'm sure it was personal preference but I went with the new GM pump. No issues.
What GM high volume pump is that? You got a part number? Thanks
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #121
CFD

Had a chance to take a look at the lifter, it seems to be intact so i'm going to put the valve cover back on and let it run for a while, perhaps I'll get lucky and it will pump up.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #122
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
Awesome. Not many people see the incredible value of having one of those.
I bought one on ebay used a few years back and it's invaluable.

Good man!

One of my biggest ls engine bitches is that you have to pull the heads to remove lifters. That thought frustrates the hell out of me.
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #123
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Dakota View Post
Awesome. Not many people see the incredible value of having one of those.
I bought one on ebay used a few years back and it's invaluable.

Good man!

One of my biggest ls engine bitches is that you have to pull the heads to remove lifters. That thought frustrates the hell out of me.

I've been messing with it all morning and it seems it's not going to pump up, i just started pulling it apart. The good ol days you would pop the intake and be all set, pulling a head for one lifter really sucks but it's the way it is i guess.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #124
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

CFD, can you push down on the lifter with the pushrod? Is it easy or is it pretty stiff?

Cool pics man!! I'm with POS, those are handy!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #125
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
CFD, can you push down on the lifter with the pushrod? Is it easy or is it pretty stiff?

Cool pics man!! I'm with POS, those are handy!!!

I took a length of steel rod and ground the end to the shape of the pushrod and tried depressing the lifter plunger but it is stacked solid in the lifter, it's not worth screwing with anymore, starting it more could result in more damage or the lifter coming appart so i'm gonna pull it appart and end the misery. lol
Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #126
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

That's the best route to take, I'd go that way too bud.

Brian Tooley makes some badazz lifters
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr...r-lifters.html