Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
crashprime

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS IOM M6
Anyone drive your vert through the winter?

I've been in the market for a Camaro for about 2-months now hunting and searching for just the right one (and thinking about ordering a '13 to get it just right). But, out of nowhere I have stumbled upon a convertible with an incredibly low price with all the features I was looking for in the hard top.

But I live in Wisconsin...

So, would it be totally insane to try and roll all winter long with a ragtop? Anyone else drive this thing in subzero temps? I'm mostly concerned about being able to get it somewhat warm inside the cabin, and keep the snow/moisture out of it.

In high school I had an old rag top Jeep that wasn't too bad in the winter months.. 20 years of technology should have improved quite a bit right?

So what do you all say? 'Vert daily driver in harsh winter totally insane, or only slightly?
crashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Sanity aside, for 2012, owner manual states convertable parts may be damaged when operated in cold temperature (32 degrees F or lower).
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
I'm in North Texas (32miles north of downtown Dallas) and while I just got my Camaro vert a couple of weeks ago, I certainly plan on driving it through those 55 degree days we call winter (the 2 days of ice and snow not withstanding). Hell, my wife got her VW Bug convertible last winter and I had the top down almost every weekend! Love those topless weekends where you're not sweating your ass off!
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
The tires from the factory (P Zero's) are Summer only. Pirelli cautions against driving on them when it's 40* or colder.
There are P Zero Nero's that are Mud & Snow...they are standard on the Mustang GT. Go figure.

Last edited by Michael Rophone; 06-19-2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: add tire brand name
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
It'[s not th etop nor keeping the inside warm that's the problem, it's the tires.
If you drive it in th ewinter, make sure you change out the stock tires for something cold-weather-friendly . The stock tire compound gets hard in cold weather and your traction goes way down.

Just get a set of winter tires and you'll do just fine.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
Michael Rophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikenn View Post
Sanity aside, for 2012, owner manual states convertable parts may be damaged when operated in cold temperature (32 degrees F or lower).
There's a temperature sensor that prevents the top from being operated at 35* or colder. It's mainly to prevent damage from lowering onto a frozen "Water Management" bag.

A friend lowered his top this past December when the outside temp hit 60* but the rainbag was full and frozen solid. Bye-bye 5th Bow and Sayonara glass window.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
Michael Rophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Just get a set of winter tires and you'll do just fine.
I recommend the Pirelli SOTTOZERO Series II.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Hmm, I like Mike, lol!

Yup, all that Mike is saying is correct. You could certainly use it in the winter, but you would need to change your tires and be careful about dropping the top. Other than that, its a car. I would us eit like any other car (if I could. The wife wouldn't allow me take it out in the winter, lol). I've driven all my other convertible throughout the year. I would expect nothing less of this one.

Of course there is the disclaimer of mixing rear wheel drive with snow. Us old guys cut our teeth on that set-up , but it may be a challenge to those that haven't done it.
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
crashprime

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS IOM M6
Back in the day I drove a crown victoria through many winters on bald tires in the snow so im not a stranger to rwd in those conditions. That sucked, but I didnt spin into a telephone pole every time I turned the key. That being said I would certainly get a set of snow tires.

I wouldnt be playing with the top controls in the winter either, so I cant imagine they would get damaged if just left closed all winter.

It sounds like its not entirely insane to go this route but we will see what happens after I test drive. Maybe a crappy beater for the winter would be a good idea. :-)
crashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Michael Rophone

It's "the other guy..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashprime View Post
Maybe a crappy beater for the winter would be a good idea.
From 50 years of Winter driving: your Camaro's performance is only 1/2 the problem in Winter.

You have to worry about the SUV cowboy/cowgirl skidding into your Camaro while he/she shows off how "Old Man Winter Can Shove It."

My little sweetie stays warm and cozy behind a garage door.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
rewski

Drives: '12 45th 2SS Vert
I have a 2012 45th SS vert and live in Denver. We don't have awful winters but I drove mine throughout this past winter. I bought a second set of wheels with Scorpion snow/ice performance tires and swapped then out from Nov-March. Handled like a charm in over 7" of deep fresh stuff twice on the way to work. I had fun time watching some SUVs and pickups sliding off the side of the highway as I was plowing straight ahead. Also absolutely no issues with being cold in the cabin. The top is insulated for temp and sound.

Winter wheels

Even A few days warm enough in the winter to drop the top!
rewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
DandyB

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS B&W and all MINE
I do.. But I don't count since winter in Texas might be a week.
If we are lucky.

"Life's been good to me soo far."
DandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
emsguy

Drives: 2012 2ss convertible
yup. drove mine through Chicago winter. no problems. in fact, the interior was much better insulated than I expected. it kept me quite warm. BUT - you MUST put on winter tires. I bought Pirelli Scorpions from Tire Rack and was very satisfied. If you can, buy another set of wheels and TPM's so that you don't have to remount the tires twice a year. It's cheaper in the long run.

Have fun all year round.
emsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
I did, but winter in Phoenix doesn't much count. More to the point, I've always only had one car so I've driven a variety of convertibles in the winter.

Make sure to get good winter tires. Driving a powerful rear wheel drive car in snow can be tough and you need all the help you can get. I was caught in a rare snowstorm in Seattle in a supercharged Mustang 5.0 back in the 90's. I'll never forget it because my wife even tried getting in the hatchback area to add a little (very little) weight but it got to the point that it just would not move. We finally got it off the road, left it and walked the last 5 miles home.

The warning in the manual about operating the convertible top when too cold is serious. It's a lot of fun to dress warm and drive with the top down on a clear 25 degree day with snow on the ground, but you can ruin the top putting it down when it is frozen. I broke one of the old style plastic windows in several pieces that way, another lasting memory. It made a big pop.

Have fun!

Last edited by Lee123; 06-16-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Lee123 is offline   Reply With Quote