Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Why do my front Brembo Calipers have stick on wheel weights on them?

I noticed this last week when doing the suspension and to be honest I never came across this before.

There are several stacks of small stick on weights on both of my calipers.

To be honest it seems like a band-aid solution to something. Reason is I will have my calipers repainted and wonder what will happen if I remove these weights.

Something else I noticed on lots of these cars with the OEM 20' wheels. They take ALOT of WHEEL WEIGHTS to balance.

Wonder why? Well thats because they are CAST in CHINA. SO I can say the poor castings create lots of irregularities to require all these weights. I also wonder if thats why the front calipers have weights on them as well.

None of my mechanic friends had an answer to the weight on caliper discovery except they said maybe the assembly is so off that under hard braking it might cause vibration into the steering wheel.

comments?
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
The brakes will make bad noises and shudder some with the weights taken off. Yes it is a issue and that is the bandaid.

Last edited by Scott@Bjorn3D; 01-07-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Wonder if its because the front splined hubs are off an SUV application as well as the rotors.

This is a crazy band aid for sure and a total joke.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Will there be a real fix?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
This was brought up and addressed a few months ago. Can't remember the exact outcome but it was basically a vibration issue with the earlier Brembo brake calipers and the weights were a temporary fix. You may be better off asking your dealer if there is a permanent fix available.

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I think the outcome was that's the way it was! Mine also has them :(
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
SM0KE
IN THE CIRCLE

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Happy weekend!
Sorry to resurrect this old thread.
I took my Camaro to the shop Friday morning to have my new powder coated Brembos installed.
My mechanic was confused when he saw the weights on my calipers.
He installed my new Brembos and did not add any weights to them.
After driving around with my new Brembos for a day, it rides smooth and there was not a single squeak.

SM0KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Will there be a real fix?
The early camaro ss had the weights due to noise,there is replacement pads for these cars that have the weights designed onto the pads,I believe the dealer will change the pads to the new style under warranty.I would start there if they are causing a problem.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Sorry to bring this old tread to the front again...

I'm upgrading my V6 to Brembo's and I just purchased a 2010 SS Bembo's (completed set) and they have these stick on weights. Should I be worried about this?

I see the new Brembo's have the "roller skate" set up. Which I think looks worse. lol

Should I just install as is and don't worry about the stick on weights?

I was thinking of powder coating the calipers first and I'm sure they remover the weights. Can I purchase the stick on weights or is the a better solution out now?

Thx
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Sorry to bring this old tread to the front again...

I'm upgrading my V6 to Brembo's and I just purchased a 2010 SS Bembo's (completed set) and they have these stick on weights. Should I be worried about this?

I see the new Brembo's have the "roller skate" set up. Which I think looks worse. lol

Should I just install as is and don't worry about the stick on weights?

I was thinking of powder coating the calipers first and I'm sure they remover the weights. Can I purchase the stick on weights or is the a better solution out now?

Thx
My stock pads had the "skates" as well. As many have stated, they think it is to help reduce noise vibrations. Power coating or painting your calipers should have no affect on the stock "skate" pads.

If you really do not like how they look, I would recommend replacing them with Hawk Performance Street pads. They do not have the skates.

I painted my calipers red and replaced the pads with Hawks. No noise or vibration issues and actual better stopping power.

Just remember to follow the bedding procedures when replacing them. I know a lot of people that failed to bed the new pads to the rotors and got lots of squealing and noise issues.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:07 AM   #11
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I see.

So replacing the OEM pads with aftermarket hawk pads will eliminate the sticky weights or roller skates.

Thx
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote