Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I want to restore a DeLorean

This has been my favorite car my entire life. I recently got to drive a Back To The Future replica on my wedding day (me and my wife arrived in it to the venue - awesome, isn't it?).

I have NO experience in restoring cars. As far as working on them, I've stuck to bolt on mods, interior enhancements, things like that. In general, I can find the source of a problem but I've held back on executing the solution.

I've always kicked around the idea of trying to restore a car myself, and what I find stopping me are things like repairing rust, and rebuilding an engine which seem like huge tasks. I figure body-work is greatly simplified on a DeLorean because there's no need to paint it. Most of the panels come apart, and it doesn't look like there's any welding involved. Never mind that I don't have a lift or an engine crane, I probably don't have many of the necessary tools (not yet). What I do have is patience and a willingness to do things right, research, and think about things before I do them. I have an electrical/computer engineering background so I'm familiar with basic engineering concepts and I learn quick.

I recently found this guy on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-DMC...US_Cars_Trucks

I want someone to give me an idea of how difficult this would be for a beginner, and possibly how much I'd end up spending down the line to get this car fully restored. My first step would at least be repairing the rust (which might mean stripping the car down to the frame). Then, getting it running/driveable.

Things that are wrong:
- It doesn't run (duh)
- There is frame rust ... ouch.
- Interior needs a lot of work - but not as bad as some other project cars I see on ebay
- Needs a flux capacitor

Your discussion is appreciated!
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Shouldn't be too bad to be honest. DMC as a company may no longer exist as it did in 1980 but there's the group that bought up everything and the kitchen sink in Texas that still have shelf parts from the plant when it was shut down. Hell they have full frame/chassis available and from time to time build them with new old stock.

It all comes down to money. They could rebuild you the whole car themselves or you could ship them pieces and purchase parts that need to be replaced (interior too).

http://delorean.com/
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
It's best to buy one already restored, mainly because it will cost you much more to restore it yourself, especially if you have to farm out much of the work.
This is speaking from experience of rebuilding a couple cars myself.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Don't forget the Hover Conversion and Mr. Fusion upgrades; 2015 is just around the corner.

Good luck with the project.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
It's best to buy one already restored, mainly because it will cost you much more to restore it yourself, especially if you have to farm out much of the work.
This is speaking from experience of rebuilding a couple cars myself.
Wow, interesting. I would have thought I'd save $$ on the labor, at least except for stuff like the frame rust.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
Wow, interesting. I would have thought I'd save $$ on the labor, at least except for stuff like the frame rust.
When it comes to cars like the Delorean the parts will be expensive, stainless steel is more expensive and harder to work with than regular sheet metal ( you can't bondo minor imperfections in the stainless skin) plus that engine not running will cost big bucks to rebuild/replace. Just a few things to consider.
Since you have never rebuilt any car before I will tell you it costs a lot more and takes a lot longer than you think it will.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I am in the middle of restoring a 70 Chevelle. I've never done it before so I've had to teach myself everything along the way. Get a few good books and just go step by step.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Whatever time you imagine spending on it, multiply it by 5. Or 10.

Same with cost.

I had the idea to restore a '66 Pontiac 2+2, but it was more than I could chew. I wish I had just bought one mildly restored that ran well. I ended up selling it again and lost no money. The guy that bought it sent it to a professional shop and they're still working on it, 14 months later.

I would recommend buying one that runs, so that you could at least enjoy it while restoring it.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Here is a link to someone's blog on their restoration just to give you an idea on what you can look forward to.
http://deloreanrestore.blogspot.com/?m=1

Also here are some for sale.
http://delorean.com/for-sale/
Old 12-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
BDBiker

Drives: Black 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
You will absolutely need a garage that can be dedicated to the build for 'long term'. If you don't have access to the garage that could possibly be occupied with your 'build' for a couple of years, my advise is: DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. Also, if money is a concern, be smart and find your dream car that has been restored by someone else.
I have had some experience with restoration and modifications and they always take more time and a hell of a lot more money that you initially hoped to do the job.
I now sit down with a pad and list everything that I can possibly find that needs to be done, then estimate the cost of each thing needed and ask myself if I will need to purchase or rent any tools needed. Then total everything up and seriously evaluate the total cost of the project, evaluate the time to do each know thing, and then decide if it is worth the time and money along with the garage being totally dedicated to the project.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
DMC still exists. It and everything they owned were shipped to CA where they restore, modify and build completely new cars using their large supply of new old stock parts.

starts at 1:03 due to a comercial
Old 12-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #12
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
I too would LOVE A Delorean, ever since I saw one at a little kid and later on in the first BTTF film back in 1985. the D is easily in my top 5 of all time dream cars and I WILL have one some day he he he.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
Eric-MPD1.com

Drives: Cool parts for cool cars
I stumbled across DMC Florida when I was in Bonita Springs a couple years ago. Could not believe how many Deloreans they had there. Also continuation 66 Cobras. Very cool place.

My advice, buy the absolute best car you can find. Pay the money up front and get it over with. This ebay find you showed will be a nightmare for a first time resto and will def strain your marriage and your wallet. LOL Im laughing but def not joking.

Rule of thumb, it takes twice a much money to restore a car as it does to buy one done.
Eric-MPD1.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
This has been my favorite car my entire life. I recently got to drive a Back To The Future replica on my wedding day (me and my wife arrived in it to the venue - awesome, isn't it?).

I have NO experience in restoring cars. As far as working on them, I've stuck to bolt on mods, interior enhancements, things like that. In general, I can find the source of a problem but I've held back on executing the solution.

I've always kicked around the idea of trying to restore a car myself, and what I find stopping me are things like repairing rust, and rebuilding an engine which seem like huge tasks. I figure body-work is greatly simplified on a DeLorean because there's no need to paint it. Most of the panels come apart, and it doesn't look like there's any welding involved. Never mind that I don't have a lift or an engine crane, I probably don't have many of the necessary tools (not yet). What I do have is patience and a willingness to do things right, research, and think about things before I do them. I have an electrical/computer engineering background so I'm familiar with basic engineering concepts and I learn quick.

I recently found this guy on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-DMC...US_Cars_Trucks

I want someone to give me an idea of how difficult this would be for a beginner, and possibly how much I'd end up spending down the line to get this car fully restored. My first step would at least be repairing the rust (which might mean stripping the car down to the frame). Then, getting it running/driveable.

Things that are wrong:
- It doesn't run (duh)
- There is frame rust ... ouch.
- Interior needs a lot of work - but not as bad as some other project cars I see on ebay
- Needs a flux capacitor

Your discussion is appreciated!
When you're looking at restoring an "example of one particular kind of car" that you're going to seek out, buy, and restore, and not "an old car I already have", it is always cheaper and faster to buy a complete car that works correctly and has no corrosion issues