Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #57
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Compare the Camaro with the impossible. Show a quarter mile where it beats a professional driver in an upscale luxury car from Europe. Make it something that Americans can't get. Talk about how Chevy leather is just as good as BMW leather and that the back seat isn't like our dad's first Camaro either, so our friends can hop in back. Quality is an important theme, but stress it so hard that it almost sounds like a luxury car. Then tell us how it's price tag is under $29k. If it costs more than $29k, it will look so close to $30k that it will be compared with cars that cost more. Make it unbelievable, then make the price tag unbelievable. I swear that a price tag that is just a bit higher than the Mustang with a powerhouse that embarrases everyone on the streets will make this car sell. This ad campaign cannot have only one side to it. GM must address power, luxury, handling, safety, and style. Cite journalists for safety, luxury, and handling. Post quarter mile times, 0-60 times, 0-100 times, and weight of all competing pony cars to prove the power superiority. Pictures will prove the style.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #58
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
As a response to an earlier post, TI and Youngbloodz have already put the concept in their videos. Transformers is a good start.

What GM needs to do is hire my g/f who works for a pretty big PR firm. I'm sure she'd have plenty of ideas. In fact I'll direct her to the site for yet another time and see if she has any input. She'd love to have a new G35 sedan and I'm trying to convince her to get a Camaro instead.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #59
GhoSSt

Drives: BMW 335 Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I agree with this as well.

I think it could be a good idea to have a commercial w/ all three side by side. I know it gets BMW and Audi free advertisement. But, mabye show the pros and cons between the two and the Camaro.

Does it have more interior room?

Does it have more HP/Torque?

Does it get better mpg's?

Does it cost less?

Does GM offer the better warranty than the other two?

Does it have better trunk space? ...mmm don't know about this one...

Does it have more rear seat room/legroom?

Does it have better interior featrures?

I'd say to show them side by side on the track...show the Camaro overtaking the others, or just completely leaving them in the dust. I really like the idea of putting Camary's in Chevy dealers along side the Malibus. I thought that was a great idea. But, hitting that Beamer and Audi market could easily take away sales. I have faith, but sure hope the interior is top notch w/ some great, quality fabrics and leather, lighting, and features.
Certainly it matches up well against the S5, a car which costs $50,500 as a base model. It has 354HP.
Attached Images

Last edited by GhoSSt; 05-01-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #60
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
I agree with you Ghosst. I think that chevy started to do that with the SS line then let it fall by the wayside... If you remember there was a Malibu SS a Cobalt SS and an Impala SS all in the same model year at one point... (if i had to guess i'd say 05) The only thing is i don't see this extending to the Corvette... I almost wonder if GM should make the Corvette its own brand... anyways that is off topic... SS would be a good way to go or GMPP i agree with that...
Old 05-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #61
ToneyTone

Drives: 07' Sunburst Cobalt SS/SC
Since the design is a retro theme I think having the LNF as the base engine is perfect. The tuneability of the LNF with the stage kits thats would be available will appeal to the twenty somethings that might not like the cobalt but want a 2+2 coupe. GM can keep it in the family. Another thought is someone like myself who may want to move up from a cobalt SS but like the fuel economy that the LNF offers.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #62
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneyTone View Post
Since the design is a retro theme I think having the LNF as the base engine is perfect. The tuneability of the LNF with the stage kits thats would be available will appeal to the twenty somethings that might not like the cobalt but want a 2+2 coupe. GM can keep it in the family. Another thought is someone like myself who may want to move up from a cobalt SS but like the fuel economy that the LNF offers.
Even with a "tuner" engine that appeals to twentysomethings, you're wastng your time if the base price is around twentysomething. With the IRS and the expected build quality and all the new features, it's going to cost somewhat more than the average tuner car. I don't see tuner fans giving up their econoboxes for the base Camaro in the future any more than they are currently flocking to base Audis and BMW's.

And I'd really rather GM not start stripping the Camaro to the bone to get the price down for this market.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #63
NG67

Drives: 67 camaro
-I think GM should push the fact that the quality is as good or better then imports.
- Show off tight body gaps or lines ext.
- Push or show all the options and aftermarket equipment (have a large amount).
- And try to get a Camaro in to the drifting world (as the Mustang did)
- Keep the dealers from over pricing the car.
- Keep up the good work!!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #64
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek

Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatiaJockey View Post
And GM should have an ad waiting in the wings that says "You will"
Better yet they should have an ad waiting that says "You never caught up either."

I think GM needs to advertise the crap out of the suspension and handling of the car, the quality, the safety, and most importantly the history. There needs to be a HUGE set of commercials. My personal take on it? Superbowl. It's right around the time the car will be launching, and you're going to have access to a pretty wide demographic. Does anyone remember that Nascar commercial with Dale Jr. where the guys are all playing football, then they hand the ball off to Dale in the #8, football players hanging onto the car as he does donuts in the end zone? Let's see something that people will REMEMBER. Sure, push the features, but at the end of the day there's two types of commercials: the ones you remember, and the ones you don't. Sure, you can tell me how reliable it is, or how fast it is, but I'm not going to remember that. Show me. The CTS and G8 GT commercials are awesome. Do that.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #65
ToneyTone

Drives: 07' Sunburst Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Even with a "tuner" engine that appeals to twentysomethings, you're wastng your time if the base price is around twentysomething. With the IRS and the expected build quality and all the new features, it's going to cost somewhat more than the average tuner car. I don't see tuner fans giving up their econoboxes for the base Camaro in the future any more than they are currently flocking to base Audis and BMW's.

And I'd really rather GM not start stripping the Camaro to the bone to get the price down for this market.
Have you checked the price of tuner cars that are on the showroom floor. The cobalt SS is on the lower end at 24k. A loaded Scion, Mazda or honda comes in at the high side 20k and that doesn't include the money they put in on aftermarket parts. I don't think thats the issue. The main thing is giving them an attractive package. Something that they can add to and make there own. Also entry lux cars don't appeal to the tuner crowd that much. They would rather spend 36k on a EVO than a infiniti G37.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:55 AM   #66
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneyTone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Even with a "tuner" engine that appeals to twentysomethings, you're wastng your time if the base price is around twentysomething. I don't see tuner fans giving up their econoboxes for the base Camaro
Have you checked the price of tuner cars that are on the showroom floor. The cobalt SS is on the lower end at 24k. A loaded Scion, Mazda or honda comes in at the high side 20k and that doesn't include the money they put in on aftermarket parts. I don't think thats the issue. The main thing is giving them an attractive package. Something that they can add to and make there own. Also entry lux cars don't appeal to the tuner crowd that much. They would rather spend 36k on a EVO than a infiniti G37.
Hmm...these two viewpoints almost sound like the difference between ricers and serious tuners. This thought led me to a potential pitfall -- it would be a Very Bad Thing if the Camaro was a smash hit with the ricer crowd. If that happened, it would then become very unattractive to a whole lot of other crowds: serious tuners, eurosnobs, luxosnobs, gearheads, muscle car fans, mulletheads, drag racers, track racers, auto-xers, mid life crisisers, etc. The only groups who wouldn't be affected are the types who wouldn't buy the Camaro anyway -- soccer moms, ultra-economizers, and the folks who don't really care what they're driving.

Therefore, I retract my earlier suggestion about getting it into the next "Fast & Furious" movie. I suspect that is popular with ricers.

I did think of something yesterday: the video game Grand Theft Auto seems to have appeal with varying demographics. Too bad the next one is probably a few years off.

Also, I saw a motor oil commercial with what appeared to be two Dodge Chargers on dynos next to eachother until one broke and the other one drove off. The cars were debadged so you would pay attention to the oil, but I bet lots of folks asked around to find out what car that was. However, that might only be effective on Camaro's existing demographic anyway.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
Old 05-02-2008, 06:29 AM   #67
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Make sure to have the Bumblebee paint job available with dark metallic grey stripes.. Send one to each dealer and have it sit there in the showroom..

GM sales will be thru the roof as more visitors come to the dealers..
Old 05-02-2008, 06:35 AM   #68
SSNIGHTMARE

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
Here's a crazy thought, actually tell us and show us what the car is going to be. Thats just insanity.
Price, screw price, if I wanted a cheap car I would buy a Ford or a Dodge. I want a real quality car, and I'm willing to pay for it.
If this car is as good as we all believe it to be, it should talk for itself. Put the top dog on the track with a low end vette and watch it spank the crap out of it.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #69
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNIGHTMARE View Post
...Price, screw price, if I wanted a cheap car I would buy a Ford or a Dodge. I want a real quality car, and I'm willing to pay for it.
Er, not everybody has that attitude. Nor can they have such an attitude. But - Dodge, cheap?!
Old 05-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #70
NG67

Drives: 67 camaro
Get the Camaro on a show like Rides follow the build from concept to completion, let people feel like they are up and personal with it. Also you can get the Camaro on a program like Nopi tuner vision or on the tuner seen at the car events and show what they have in common and what make the Camaro so much better, and then have it compete with the imports in all their areas.
Show the Camaro in every day use running to the store, stopping at schools, we know it will be a safe car but push safety and the anti theft.
Hope this helps , I for one would like to see the Camaro around for 40 more years. If that means letting some import drivers have some of them so be it.

Closed Thread