Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-30-2017, 11:17 PM   #1
SSallday

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 / ‘22 ZLE
Wax that doesn't leave a residue

I've tried a few waxes including Meguiars G7014J and Mothers 05500. I found that the Mothers doesn't leaves a great shine with no residue. However, the Meguiars leaves a residue that can be seen in direct sunlight. The car looks better without the wax on and it drives me insane. I'm happy with the Mothers, but would like to try out a different product. Has anyone had luck with a wax that doesn't leave a residue and is reasonably priced?
SSallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:09 AM   #2
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Are you applying them in direct sunlight? How much product are you using? Are you letting it dry before buffing? How are you prepping the car before wax? There are a lot of variables. Personally, I use Blackfire Ivory Sun Carnuba wax and haven't had any issues. Unless you count a second buff as one. I have used Meguiars Ultimate Wax and found if put on too thick it can take more effort to buff and remove. Same with most liquid waxes.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:11 AM   #3
SSallday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
Are you applying them in direct sunlight? How much product are you using? Are you letting it dry before buffing? How are you prepping the car before wax? There are a lot of variables. Personally, I use Blackfire Ivory Sun Carnuba wax and haven't had any issues. Unless you count a second buff as one. I have used Meguiars Ultimate Wax and found if put on too thick it can take more effort to buff and remove. Same with most liquid waxes.
I usually wax in the shade and let it dry. Maybe I apply too much product?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:32 AM   #4
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Most of today's waxes; a little goes a long way. What hazes over to be buffed off if waste. The residue you're seeing, is it a greasy film or hazed over product that wasn't removed? I took care of my daughter's car this past weekend. All old product was completely removed and it was hand waxed under overcast sky's. As the product hazed over it was buffed off by hand. No residue here on this Ashen Grey Metallic.

Adam's Americana Premium Paste Wax was applied to this nearly flawless finish.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
SSallday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post
Most of today's waxes; a little goes a long way. What hazes over to be buffed off if waste. The residue you're seeing, is it a greasy film or hazed over product that wasn't removed? I took care of my daughter's car this past weekend. All old product was completely removed and it was hand waxed under overcast sky's. As the product hazed over it was buffed off by hand. No residue here on this Ashen Grey Metallic.

Adam's Americana Premium Paste Wax was applied to this nearly flawless finish.
It's more of a haze. Whenever I use the Mothers wax it takes two microfiber towels to remove completely. There's rarely any haze left behind. However, the Meguiars will leave haze behind no matter how many towels I use.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
You may be waiting too long to remove the wax that hazes over.

Try hitting it with some Detail Spray to help with what's not coming off.

Try to stay only one panel ahead of yourself. Apply wax to two panels to start, go back and wipe off the first panel. Apply wax to the third panel, go back and wipe off the second. Apply wax to the fourth panel, go back and wipe off the third. Etc...
Old 05-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Victoria Concours Red Wax.

The 6oz jar will do your car 50 times or more.

Has the high carnauba content that the expensive waxes have, for much less.

Use code "15OFF" for a 15% discount.

https://www.carpro-us.com/exterior-s...-red-wax-6-oz/

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #8
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Mothers and meguiars tend to dry quickly and becomes a big pain to wipe off. With those products apply one panel at a time and wipe off. I use mothers paste at my shop and when applying it would dry up quickly when applying to another panel, had to use detail spray to remove the haze. At the moment I'm using Adams Americana wax and you can do half of the car without the wax drying up. Might want to try other brands that will suit your taste.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #9
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Yea, I agree with the others on product and technique. I used the wax I mentioned in direct sunlight with no problems. I wipe it on a panel at a time and immediately buff off, per directions. It removes easy and leaves an awesome shine with no residue.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #10
Sheriff Justice
If your not 1st your last

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS / RS
I agree with Ace, try a different brand. As Joe mentioned, spend the little extra money and you will be happy with the results. I use a paint sealant and after several hours of curing I apply a paste wax on top (paint sealant alone produces an amazing shine).
Old 05-02-2017, 08:11 AM   #11
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
The absolute best way to apply wax is by hand, bare handed. When you use an applicator, no matter the type of applicator, the wax will eventually build up on it causing the wax to be applied thick.

Zymol makes some awesome wax, but, the best protection will be with a coating or a sealant, followed by a top layer of wax.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #12
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
I recently used Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish (it's an aerosol can) and it goes on THIN no matter how you apply it and buffs off even easier. No residue, no hard buffing, it just wipes right off and is safe for black trim. All you need is a microfiber covered applicator sponge and a single microfiber cloth to wipe it off. Here is a pic right after I put it on my Camaro:

Old 05-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #13
SSallday

When I get a chance, I'm going to try applying wax to one panel at a time. About how much wax should I apply to the applicator?
Old 05-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #14
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSallday View Post
When I get a chance, I'm going to try applying wax to one panel at a time. About how much wax should I apply to the applicator?
Start with a small amount, like a dime size, and find out how well and far it spreads. Learn from there how much to use. Remember, you want to apply it thin and even. Makes it easier to buff off. You can always apply a second and or third coat.

More to come.