Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-20-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
this is my first post, brand new member. Anywho, according to a thread in the pricing section, i kinda got confused about engines. some ppl made it seem that v8s were only going come in z28s and ss models. is this true or is GM going to put LS3's and L76s in this awesome car??? the post is Gm will keep camaro affordable. if some one can help out i would thank you alot. i got 10 grand for a down payment right now, i cant wait till i save the rest of my money to buy one.

i mean put v8s in regular models too. as opposed to limited edition models, sorry.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
We don't know the answer to that... they have not released any real engine information yet.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:57 AM   #3
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
What people are assuming is that SS or Z/28 will be the equivalent to Mustang's GT badging, meaning that all the V6's will be considered "standard" while all the V8's will be badged as SS or Z/28. So far as we know the V8's won't be some special limited run, but should be as widely available as Mustang GT's.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
this is my first post, brand new member. Anywho, according to a thread in the pricing section, i kinda got confused about engines. some ppl made it seem that v8s were only going come in z28s and ss models. is this true or is GM going to put LS3's and L76s in this awesome car??? the post is Gm will keep camaro affordable. if some one can help out i would thank you alot. i got 10 grand for a down payment right now, i cant wait till i save the rest of my money to buy one.
Welcome to the site!

As people have said already nothing official has been released about engines other than a pic of what we think will be the V6. See thread here.

As for as the V8's go, (More than a few threads speculate on this) Common speculation is the LS8 may be the top dog (Z28/SS). But beyond that We are all asking the same questions you are. No word yet. And, oh by the way, Fbodfather said to forget what we know about engines...

Hope this helps
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
When is he going to tell us already?!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^Not for a while. Gotta keep the competition guessing!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post

i mean put v8s in regular models too. as opposed to limited edition models, sorry.
It is pretty much confirmed that there will be 3 engines, at least 1 will be V6 and at least 1 will be V8. The pricing will be competitive with the mustang. So that means that there will be be 1 'regular' V8 because there is no way that a 500 hp car could be sold at any price near the mustang gt. We think that this base V8 will be either the L76, the LS3, or some brand new engine that we have yet to hear about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
When is he going to tell us already?!!!
i remember reading that that will be known in about 6 months
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Eh... I can't wait that long! Too bad.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
Emu the Foo

thanks for the help guys. this pretty much clears that up.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
Sweeper

Drives: 2008 Suburban
If GM uses the DI V6 which has approx 300hp. The V6 camaro will be a Mustang GT rival. The DI V6 has a much hp as the V8 in the Mustang, has better gas mileage, and it's lighter.

This makes you wonder what advantages the V8 model will give you?
More horsepower? Well then how much more HORSEPOWER and what am I trading off for this increase in horsepower?

Sweep
Sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
If GM uses the DI V6 which has approx 300hp. The V6 camaro will be a Mustang GT rival. The DI V6 has a much hp as the V8 in the Mustang, has better gas mileage, and it's lighter.

This makes you wonder what advantages the V8 model will give you?
More horsepower? Well then how much more HORSEPOWER and what am I trading off for this increase in horsepower?

Sweep
But the mustang is scheduled for an upgrade in the near future, and the Camaro will likely be heavier than the mustang. So while a DI V6 camaro might hold its own against the current Mustang GT on a road course, it will get beat in most comparisons against the next one. And that just wont do.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
"... And that just wont do."
+1

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
Emu the Foo

either way, fords water pumps suck. and they make that noise thats so distinctive to all fords. Chevy wins there
Old 02-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
^Not for a while. Gotta keep the competition guessing!
well if he has to keep the competition guessing, their guess is a good as ours right? so how are we so sure that the motors we have been specualting,are goignto be in the car? because if we know that im sure they know that. they probably know more than we do. right!?!?!
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote