Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Out with Energy Suspension – In with Pedders

First off I’m going to say that this thread is made from my opinion and personal experience. You may or may not agree or have had the same issues. This is not going to be about Mfg bashing but is designe to show the difference between the two designs and feel of the bushings.

Some of you might have seen my post with the issues I had installing my Energy Suspension cradle inserts but in case you didn’t you can go to post #114 on this thread. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=134107&page=5

After dealing with my install I started looking at the differences in the design of the ES inserts vs Pedders inserts and the way the front inserts are done is completely different between the two brands. Even though I could feel a difference in how the ES inserts firmed up my car I just couldn’t get past the design (or install for that matter).

I ended up talking with both Rob @ Wretched Motorsports and Justice Pete (both are great guys and talked with me after hours). I ended up buying the Stage 1 Street kit from Rob which includes the Radius Rod inserts and Cradle inserts. I’ll say right off the bat I really like the Pedders inserts. They are a much higher quality and better design IMO. They are more money but in this case they are worth it. I’m not one so spend extra money where it’s not needed but it is in the case of the different cradle inserts.

The front cradle bushing insert is really where the difference is. The rear inserts are very similar, even in feel, but the Pedders still seem a little stiffer. If you look at the way the ES inserts (and BMR are the same design) are designed they just fill the inside of the bushing. There is nothing that goes on top between the frame and cradle. In addition it’s nearly impossible to get them flush with the cradle. That means that the insert with fold over which it’s not designed to do. I didn’t like this at all personally.

Even if you look at the way the Mfg has them installed (well….I couldn’t find a pic of the ES inserts so I’m going based on the BMR inserts) they are supposed to be flush with the cradle. I’ve seen some pics posted by another member that does performance work and even his are sticking up a little. If you look at the pic where I dropped the cradle in order to replace them with Pedders you can see the little bit that is still sticking up. You can only imagine that when that’s bolted up to the frame it’s going to fold over.

The black ones are the ES/BMR design. The red ones are Pedders.

BTW: in case anyone wanted to see the install on the Radius Rod inserts http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156879
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 07-06-2011 at 09:01 AM.
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
caverman

Out with the Energy Suspension inserts.

You can also see they rip fairly easy if you don't get them in perfectly straight and have to try to pull them out again.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 07-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
caverman

You can really see the difference in the firmness of the insert, especially with the front inserts. The rears were fairly similar between the two Mfgs.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 07-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
caverman

In with Pedders.

The front insert is 100x easier to install. They are super easy….only takes seconds to put them on once the retaining washer is removed. That was easy as well using the two hammer method. At least that’s what worked for me…..about 4 good blows of the hammer and they popped right off.

The only PITA I had to contend with was getting the top rear insert to go in under the alignment pin. I ended up doing both front inserts first and then moved on to the rear. I lowered the cradle as much as I could with the front bolts still in by a few threads. There still wasn’t enough room so I had to use a pry bar to get it down enough to push the insert under the alignment pin. Once under the pin you can then push it up and rotate it freely to get it to the right spot. I happened to be working alone this time so it was difficult using all my weight with one arm to pry down and then using my other hand to push the insert under the pin. One went in after about two trys. The other one took a lot more effort and a little extra cussing. This is definitely where a second set of hands will really come in handy.

I ended up getting the cradle slightly off alignment with the pins. It took me a little bit to figure out that had happened. It was easily fixed by using the pry bar to pry it over in the direction needed. Then the whole cradle popped into place and bolts went right back in.

I just installed them the other day and have only put maybe 15 miles on the car since then so I can’t give you a full review on how much they helped. I hope to get back out to the drag strip sometime this month and I’ll have a better idea then. I will say that it wasn’t day and night difference because I already had the ES inserts in so the body already felt firm just from those. I’m sure the Pedders are going to help more based on just how much more rigid their insert was over the ES inserts. The front insert also has a lot more contact area with the body of the car over the design of the ES or BMR inserts.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 07-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
Jaysin

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS
Wise choice my friend! Nice install pics.
Jaysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
Welcome to the wonderful world of pedders!
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
now that is a great write up !!! good job on the install. backstreet performance did mine about 3 weeks ago. your right those backs one are PITA...they had to take the exhaust off to get the diff...low enough to do the rear ones
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Nice Caverman, and great write up!! I actually got the full bushings for the cradle (Pedders) as well.
Not trying to hack or change the subject but how do you like your chassis brace? Did you notice any difference?
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
Not trying to hack or change the subject but how do you like your chassis brace? Did you notice any difference?
I like it. I think I felt the difference more from the cradle inserts than I did from the chassis brace but I would still add the chassis brace personally. I like the whole concept of how it ties the cradle to the frame.

I guess the best thing for me would be to remove it and try just the cradle inserts at the track but I don't want to remove it.

Now, if I had the inserts or full bushings and didn't have the sway bars I would say do those first but I think they are all going to work together well (inserts, sways, and chasiss brace).

The true test will come over the next month or so. I plan to get back out to the drag strip hopefully this month and then in Sept I'll do another AutoX event.
Build Journal
Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Cool thank you. I really like the one you got, just wish it was in red to match all the red pedders things I have . BMR has a red subframe brace so i may get theirs. yeah, I got the Pedders springs and tie rod bushings as well and awaiting to get them on the car. Then sways then the brace... I got an event this weekend but cant get these on the car until next week.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Caverman,

I thought your other post on the radius bush inserts was very well done. This one is as good or better. Very well done sir!

Please allow me to thank you for choosing Wretched Motorsports and Pedders for your 5th Gen. We appreciate your business. Welcome to the Pedders Nation!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Caverman,

I thought your other post on the radius bush inserts was very well done. This one is as good or better. Very well done sir!

Please allow me to thank you for choosing Wretched Motorsports and Pedders for your 5th Gen. We appreciate your business. Welcome to the Pedders Nation!

Thank you for all you do. I really appreciated how you an Rob took the time to answer my questions and to work with me....even after hours and during a trying time in your life.

Keep up the good work!
Build Journal
Old 07-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
HaddadMotorsports

Drives: Camaro
Nice write up and congrats.
HaddadMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
caverman

bump for a memeber
Build Journal