Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
Transmission gear ratios

I am not pro here, but I downloaded the camaro specs .pdf and the SS with the manual trans had a much longer first gear than any of the other ones, it was 3.0 while the automatic SS had a first gear ratio of 4.0

I thought this was weird considering the v6 auto was 4.0 as well and the v6 manual was 4.5

I was wondering if they purposefully did this to cripple the manual since it has more HP than the auto, and then when I read the 0-60 and 1/4 times it matched up with waht I was thinking and it scared me.

Opinions/correcting my dumb ass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Well, the 4.0 seems to be standard fare for both the autos. So there is no outlier there. The V8 manual has a normal first gear ratio. The V6 manual comes straight from the Caddy, so the explanation there is easy - granny gear. Which, I don't like, but its life. As for the auto vs. manual difference on the SS - I don't honestly know. Is it normal for an auto to be geared steeper to get going better? Not sure.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Is it normal for an auto to be geared steeper to get going better? Not sure.
- Xanthos
On most vehicles, autos usually have less gears than manuals. Same with v6.

But here every tranny has 6 gears... I wish I klnew more about cars I am so confused..
Quote:
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

No - I wasn't talking about number of gears. Think of it as an auto-tranny version of a granny gear. Which, if you don't know what a granny gear is (not trying to call you stupid, just providing all information because I don't know what you do and don't know), its a very steep first gear to aid inexperienced or generally bad drivers in getting a manual car moving. Steeper gearing means that the car can take off with less throttle and/or more clutch slippage, thus allowing the car to be more forgiving in its launches.
- Xanthos

Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
well, in the past autos have had fewer gears than the manual for the same vehicle. which means that the manual can have steeper gears cus you have more to row thru to get to your top gear.

however, the real question is why do neither of the autos have a 1:1 ratio?
dyno tuning should be fun now....
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Well, thats where my knowledge ends - I have no clue why the autos are geared the way they are. Plus, I've never had a car on a dyno (all the shops in my area charge ludicrous amounts), and I've certainly never had one dyno tuned.
- Xanthos

Old 07-22-2008, 01:26 AM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Well, thats where my knowledge ends - I have no clue why the autos are geared the way they are. Plus, I've never had a car on a dyno (all the shops in my area charge ludicrous amounts), and I've certainly never had one dyno tuned.
- Xanthos
well for dyno tuning, you optimally want to be at a 1:1 ratio from the engine to the trans. that way your tranny is spinning at the same rate as the motor, so you can get a true reading of your engines power. tho i guess you could compensate by calculating for a certain gear, but who wants to do that.

autos are normally geared the way they are due to the fact that with the fluid mechanics of an auto, your torque is multiplied allowing you to run a different set of gear ratios as compared to a stick where it is direct connection.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:29 AM   #8
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
well I remember back reading about the TR6060 that's in the new camaro and honestly I was kinda disappointed that they were going to it. but at the same time taller gears means higher top end. . .but could mean longer to get there.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:08 AM   #9
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
well I remember back reading about the TR6060 that's in the new camaro and honestly I was kinda disappointed that they were going to it. but at the same time taller gears means higher top end. . .but could mean longer to get there.
whocares about that? how often will I get to the higher top end of 180 instead of 170?

I would rather 0-60 and 1/4 any day of the week because that Is how I make ricers feel my wrath.
Quote:
Old 07-22-2008, 02:24 AM   #10
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowed_Stranger View Post
whocares about that? how often will I get to the higher top end of 180 instead of 170?

I would rather 0-60 and 1/4 any day of the week because that Is how I make ricers feel my wrath.
um someone that has a very good chance of moving to germany?

seriously there should be a compromise between acceleration and top end. and honestly I feel the T-56 didn't give much of a top end. only 165 on the speedo and felt slow getting there.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote