Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
Drsandman2

Drives: None
HUD, Aftermarket, Features, Ideas

I have a couple questions and a few ideas...

I'm kind of surprised they are waiting to integrate the HUD. This is far from new technology, with the first HUD being introduced to the 1988 Olds Cutlass. I assume holding off is a marketing ploy to help push those who are close to the brink of buying a Camaro to buy one. Carmakers seem to always do it after the introduction of a new line, and will continue to do so.

Kind of reminds me of when Ford came out with 3-door F-Series trucks. My Grandpa thought it was awesome and ran out and got one. I thought to myself, "Why not 4-doors?!" Sure enough, the next model had 4-doors.

ANYWAY, I hope to have a Camaro SS before they integrate the HUD. But I think a HUD would be so kick ass. So, this leads me to ask a few questions:

1. I don't know of any, but are there any cool aftermarket HUDs out there?

2. Anyone have dirt on the HUD GM plans to implement? Features, style, etc. (The same one as on the Vette?)

3. What features would you like to see in a HUD?

Personally, I dont see much use in a speedo HUD. Even without speed control, I very rarely look at my speed. A trach would be cool for racing, though. If there is anything that distracts me while driving, it would be the radio. Having a HUD that was integrated into your stereo, iPhone or iPod would be awesome. This could easily be done with Bluetooth. Theoretically, it would show you what radio station you are on or even replicate the display on your iPod or iPhone. You would be able to flip through your playlist, address book, answer a call or read email without ever taking your eyes off of the road. Of course, I think that doing these things while driving is horrible... but so many people do it anyway, without a HUD.

Here is a link to a cool article I found about watching DVDs, DivX and other encoded video using a HUD.

http://ismore.wordpress.com/2007/02/...spaly-for-bmw/
Drsandman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
454lsxss

Drives: 07 Scion tC. for now...
I just want two things, which are pretty much guaranteed with an HUD...Digital speedometer and a tach that's easy to read. anything else would either be clutter in the way of me seeing the road...i think there's a fine balance of how much crap they should project in front of someone while they are trying to drive...
454lsxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
I mainly want the standard HUD features. I believe the reason for the delay has to do with the suppliers ability to produce adequte numbers of this HUD at a cost that GM is willing to pay. I believe that only a couple of companies actually make the device. Also in the Corvette there is a different windshield in the cars with a HUD. They say there is some special coating that helps make the HUD look clearer.
Anyway I think GM is smart in keeping the first year of production as simple as possible by not introducing options that could be in short supply thus causing interuptions in the supply chain. Having said that I am waiting for a HUD to be availible before I order mine so I have some mixed feelings on the subject.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
it also usually show what gear your in aswell
Old 10-05-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsandman2 View Post
I have a couple questions and a few ideas...

I'm kind of surprised they are waiting to integrate the HUD. This is far from new technology, with the first HUD being introduced to the 1988 Olds Cutlass. I assume holding off is a marketing ploy to help push those who are close to the brink of buying a Camaro to buy one.
That's funny, I thought the idea they had in mind was to take those people like me who have cash in hand and would have placed an order on the first day and push them into an extra YEAR (or more) WAIT.

As much as I want to help GM with my purchase, it's not going to happen with missing features.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
RetroDude
Owner of VIN # 35278

Drives: IBM 2SS, A6, Leather & Sunroof
Hi, Here is a picture I found showing the HUD on a Camaro SS.
It shows " 128 MPH" and what looks to be a "3" in the box to the right. Other features are usually "Hi Beam" indicator .. Low Fuel & other warning lights ... Turn Signal ... and sometimes radio station too! However, this one is only showing two at the time this photo was taken.

Hope this give you a better idea.
Attached Images

RetroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #7
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I think I'm in love.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
you know, at first I didn't car for HUD. . Then I seen it STANDARD on the 2SS and I was kinda upset to see it not avaliable.

Then again, I don't want the damn round plugs for the back up sensors on the bumper though. IMO it would make the bumper look like shit.

I decided to go ahead and order it with out HUD. . . Won't miss what I never had right?
franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote