Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Suspension / Chassis / Brakes

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #57
Daikokufuto

Drives: 2ss
Subscribed nice write. Thinking about doing this when my brakes a on there way out
Daikokufuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #58
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
Fraxum,

Were you able to get the 2 piece rotors? I tried to order today and they were 3 to 4 weeks out. I am ok with the wait, I just hope I will still get the good price.
Yea, mine said two weeks I think. I got the 2 piece. I was happy to lock in that price with the order. No rush for me, my car will be in the shop for a week or two. It will need these brakes once it comes home.

I still have to get the lines and the bolts. And of course more fluid. And some beer to get my friend to sit in the car and pump the brakes.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #59
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
Those are the Ac Delco durastop pads. Imo they are pure junk. I worked for a Delco distributor for 18 years and the number of complaints were insane. We now refer to them as Durasqueeks. Any delco pads that begins with a 17d is a durastop. Ones that begin with 171- are OE pads.
Great information..... I will add it to the first post. Are the compounds different or just made at different locations?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:36 AM   #60
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Ordered. Thanks Matt for all the research. So even 18s or 19s will fit over these these calipers? I might go lighter later. Thanks Jordan.
No problem...

Quote:
Not sure about the pads, thinking maybe the better Delcos are the way to go.
I purchased the cheap ones...I will provide a review from the track after the weekend of April 12/13

Quote:
I am a little confused about the caliper bolts. P/N 11570788 are the standard SS bolts. You are just replacing these for good practice Matt?
Yes the SS and ZL1/CTS-V all use the same caliper to knuckle bolt. They are torque to yield so they are technically a one time use as they stretch. (44Lb.ft and then +90 degree)...Some people have reused the bolts with lock tight...but don't use the above spec as you can stretch them more/weaken them. To me it is not worth the risk on track so I just replaced them.

Quote:
And wouldn't the Goodridge lines be less flexible (better) than the ZL1 lines?
Yes, The stock ZL1 front lines can be had for about $100ish. The stainless are more.

Here are mine installed as of yesterday. My buyer purchased my front and rear and I am running out of time to get they new ones painted so I ordered the matching rear silver CTS-V calipers....I will have them painted next winter.
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2014, 11:05 AM   #61
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Looks good Matt
Old 03-31-2014, 07:08 PM   #62
millhouse

Drives: 13 zl1
The durastops and the OE Delcos are certainly not the same pads. Most of the OE pads are currently made for GM by Akebono. I think some of the Durastops are the silver grade Wagners or standard Bendix pads reboxed.

If you just pad slap the Durastops they will squeak like crazy. If you must use a Durastop at least get new rotors to go with them. just my opinion.
millhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:54 PM   #63
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
FYI - The SS Brembo pads are Ferodo HP1000 pads.
I believe the correct AC Delco pad number is 171-1040

I personally would use the AC Deco OE pads and have the cheap durastops as a "backup/drive home" set if you run into problems but I am definitely curious to get a track review of the Durastop pads.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:06 AM   #64
C-redfly

Drives: 2013 VR vert ZL1
Thanks for the post. I just ordered the yellow calipers and pin set. I'm gonna get the rotors and pads next pay check. Is anyone gonna run hawks pads instead of the oem pads?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #65
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-redfly View Post
Thanks for the post. I just ordered the yellow calipers and pin set. I'm gonna get the rotors and pads next pay check. Is anyone gonna run hawks pads instead of the oem pads?

I will be running the Hawk Ceramics. Already had them on my SS brakes. Didn't have problems with noise and dust was minimal which is what I wanted since I have painted calipers. Performance was about the same, though I expect the ones for the V calipers to be either the same or just barely less than stock performance of the regular pads that came on them, which I can live with.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #66
C-redfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powhusku View Post
I will be running the Hawk Ceramics. Already had them on my SS brakes. Didn't have problems with noise and dust was minimal which is what I wanted since I have painted calipers. Performance was about the same, though I expect the ones for the V calipers to be either the same or just barely less than stock performance of the regular pads that came on them, which I can live with.
Ok thanks for the reply. Great information

Old 04-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #67
td195f

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #786
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
FYI - The SS Brembo pads are Ferodo HP1000 pads.
I believe the correct AC Delco pad number is 171-1040

I personally would use the AC Deco OE pads and have the cheap durastops as a "backup/drive home" set if you run into problems but I am definitely curious to get a track review of the Durastop pads.
I was wondering this myself, so I ordered both AC Delco part #'s. The part number, 17D1405M, the OP put in the first post is the AC Delco Durastop. The other part number in the photos below, 171-1040, is the Brembo OE Pad with Ferodo HP1000/1 material. Price is ~$45 for Durastop and $174 for the Brembo. I knew I had the good pads when I saw the box said made in Italy then opened it and found the Brembo box. I am going with the Brembo pads and will save the Durastop as emergency backup. As you can see in the photos below, there is a difference in the materials. In the photos below when I am comparing the two pads the top is the Brembo and the bottom is the AC Delco Durastop.
Attached Images

2015 Z/28 #786 - Black
2004 Silverado 3500 Dually - D'Max - Suncoast - Banks - Edge - Custom Tune by D'Max Tuner / Spitzer '32 Bantam Altered Drag Car - Blown Alcohol 380 CI Small Block Chevy
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #68
C-redfly

Td good info. You think the stock Brembo pads perform better then the Hawks ceramic pads? And do you know if the Brembo pads you have come stock on the ZL1 and CTS-V?

Old 04-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #69
td195f

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #786
Quote:
Td good info. You think the stock Brembo pads perform better then the Hawks ceramic pads? And do you know if the Brembo pads you have come stock on the ZL1 and CTS-V?

The Brembo's are going to create a lot of dust, I got brake dust on my hands unwrapping the bubble wrap they were packaged in. The ceramic pads are not. If you're going to run only on the street ceramics will be fine. If you track the car, ceramics won't work anywhere near as good as the Brembo pads. For the money I think the Brembos are a good pad for Novice and Intermediate level drivers and the price is right. Racing Brake track pads will run around $375 a set and Cobalt Friction will be $500 a set.
I run a lot of laps at Watkins Glen which is a pretty fast track. I tried Hawk HP Plus pads on my stock 4 piston SS Calipers and had issues. Took them off and threw them away and put the stock Brembo SS pads back on and had no issues. They worked great for the remainder of my track time. My first days at Watkins Glen this year will be May 3rd and 4th. We'll see how the six piston CTS-V calipers with the Brembo pads work. Stay tuned.

I believe the Brembos are the stock pad for the ZL1 and CTS-V. Online GM Parts houses list the ZL1 and CTS-V pad as part # 25940447 which matches the GM Part # on the ACDelco 171-1040 box. FYI GM wants $275 for the same pads I got off Amazon for $173.

I hope this info helps. If you need more, just ask.
2015 Z/28 #786 - Black
2004 Silverado 3500 Dually - D'Max - Suncoast - Banks - Edge - Custom Tune by D'Max Tuner / Spitzer '32 Bantam Altered Drag Car - Blown Alcohol 380 CI Small Block Chevy
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #70
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by td195f View Post
I was wondering this myself, so I ordered both AC Delco part #'s. The part number, 17D1405M, the OP put in the first post is the AC Delco Durastop. The other part number in the photos below, 171-1040, is the Brembo OE Pad with Ferodo HP1000/1 material. Price is ~$45 for Durastop and $174 for the Brembo. I knew I had the good pads when I saw the box said made in Italy then opened it and found the Brembo box. I am going with the Brembo pads and will save the Durastop as emergency backup. As you can see in the photos below, there is a difference in the materials. In the photos below when I am comparing the two pads the top is the Brembo and the bottom is the AC Delco Durastop.
Great info. Keep it coming!

I am tracking next weekend 12/13 on the AC Delco pads and will report back after....It will be in the mid 40 and 50s here next weekend and this is the first time out after putting all new caliper on the car... I will shake it down before I push it to see what happens with the AC Delco ones.

Quote:
Yes the stock pads on both the CTS-V and the ZL1 are the Ferrodo 1000....This is also the same material used on the SS/1LE.

Matt