Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
SSCAMAROGUY
2012 45th Anniv. 2SS Conv

Drives: 2012 45th Anniv. SS
QTP Exhaust Cut-outs, Clearance issues

Hi folks,

has anyone successfully installed QTP's Electric Cut-outs with the Y pipe and adjustable turn downs on there 6spd auto Convertible?

I have a 2012 45th Anniversary Vert with a Magna Flow Cat back system and I received my goodies from QTP but the dealer and two separate speed shops could not install them. They all cited clearance issues. While they had it on the hoist they showed me how tight things were and I could see their point. It would not take much of a speed bump to sheer them off.

One shop was prepared to shorten the Y pipes and splice them in inches from the mufflers but I waved that idea off as I am told just after the cats is the ideal placement for maximum sound.

I've since shipped them back and am awaiting the QTP low profile cut-outs which involve a little more precision cutting and welding. I hope they can be made to fit. Anyone with experience, I'd love to hear from you.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Cutouts on any 5th Gen is tough.....putting them on a lowered one, near impossible to avoid them scraping.

I've had success putting them in place of the cat or race pipe and placing the y portion towards the inside of the car with the turndowns facing the street. There are times when you need to cut the turndowns to gain clearance as well.

Some folks do put them out towards the back of the car as well. I've yet to do it until a customer asks for that in particular.

On coverts, there's almost no way to put em out back with the added support.

Depending on where you are in NV, there should be places in Las Vegas that can handily install em for ya.

Good Luck and hope to see them installed soon!
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
Cutouts on any 5th Gen is tough.....putting them on a lowered one, near impossible to avoid them scraping.

I've had success putting them in place of the cat or race pipe and placing the y portion towards the inside of the car with the turndowns facing the street. There are times when you need to cut the turndowns to gain clearance as well.

Some folks do put them out towards the back of the car as well. I've yet to do it until a customer asks for that in particular.

On coverts, there's almost no way to put em out back with the added support.

Depending on where you are in NV, there should be places in Las Vegas that can handily install em for ya.

Good Luck and hope to see them installed soon!
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
I installed them in the back (behind the axle)... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139484

be sure to bid extra time if you are to do this. It is much harder to do and get it right.... but it is worth it IMO.
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
FosterSS
Guardians Of The Night

Drives: '13 ZL1 CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
You got that right Ivan! I installed mine right in place of the cats location as well. Shaved a little pipe off the Y pipe and the end of the headers to get the cutouts sitting nicely tucked right in front of the tranny brace. Had to shave the turndowns some too, but all in all im still a few inches from the ground even with 2" drop springs!

Im sure the low-pro's will fit much nicer, I just had Ivan hook me up with the Race Ready's because I didnt want to bother with welding!
FosterSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
SSCAMAROGUY
2012 45th Anniv. 2SS Conv

Drives: 2012 45th Anniv. SS
Exhaust cut-out

I'm certain the Race Ready cuts outs would work great too. I got caught up on the QTP's because I like the idea of replacing the toggle switch with the wireless remote for a cleaner install. Also I like the idea of being able to open them a little or all the way as opposed to full open or full closed like some brands.

Now if I can only make them fit.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCAMAROGUY View Post
I'm certain the Race Ready cuts outs would work great too. I got caught up on the QTP's because I like the idea of replacing the toggle switch with the wireless remote for a cleaner install. Also I like the idea of being able to open them a little or all the way as opposed to full open or full closed like some brands.

You know that Race Ready has a remote kit too right?

Be good to see some pics of where folks install theirs to help others learn more about em too. All we deal with are RRP's and only install em up front.

I like the idea of the Noweeds ones that we've done too. Those are really sharp. Take the guessing out of it, that's for sure.

Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
FosterSS
Guardians Of The Night

Drives: '13 ZL1 CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCAMAROGUY View Post

And with the RR's I can also open half way or however much I want. Whenever I let go of the switch they stop opening/closing.

+1 on the remote switch too, its got it!
FosterSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
Here are a couple pics from the link to BELL040 thread on how I installed the QTP cutouts on my Car.This is where I got the idea and should work on a convertible with no problem.

As said,this is a difficult and time consuming place to install the Cut outs,but worth the effort.

Like the Race Ready cut outs,the QTP can be opened all the way or anywhere in between,just be sure and get the low profile oval set

It sounds great,no clearance issues at all.I had a Corsa system but went back to stock and added the Cut outs so I can be nice and quiet when I want to or obnoxiously loud when I feel like it....
Attached Images

67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Cobra Kai

Drives: 11 Camaro 2SS/RS VR!
sucks- I had the qtp's on my coupe but now the exhaust guy told me he can't get them on my convertible. anyone here solve this without the ARH brace? I'd rather not spend that $$.
AAC Concept LED sidemarkers, red strut covers, RPI painted GM strut tower brace, ABL LED Dome light, RPI painted speedo surround & console gauges surround, Gary's Customz bowtie!, Lloyd's custom mats, sequential tails, KMC rockstar wheels!

THE THING THAT SHOULD NOT BE
Cobra Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
christophe

Drives: CAMARO CONVERTIBLE L99 2012
Convert 2012 with ARH BRACE installed with QTP CutOut :

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk
christophe is online now   Reply With Quote