Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 08-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
tycor

Drives: Imperial Blue 2SS
Cancelled order...How to get deposit back??

I just had to cancel my order...I was still at 1100 as of today. what are the rules on how to get my deposit back.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
It's all up to your dealer. Did he say your deposit was refundable? Did you get it in writing. Call your dealer, only he can tell you.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
bono83

Drives: 1969 Chevelle, 2010 1LT
Depends on what kind of paperwork was signed. Usually a deposit is non-refundable unless there was some kind of escape clause in the paperwork. If nothing in the paperwork lets you get it back, you'll probably have to beg and plead with the dealer.
bono83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
How did you put it? Credit card? Check? Local? If you're local, go back and have them credit your card or cut you a check. Else, let them send you a copy of the credit form. I had to call my credit card company today since it's been 2 weeks with no credit refund. They stopped the charges, took them off my card, and are calling the dealer :-)

The 2nd order I canceled, was local, so I went in this morning and had them credit my card while I stood there ;-) Even better.

On my 3rd order now! :-)) This one already has a TPW of last week! Yeah!!

Good luck!
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
tycor

I spoke to the dealer who said he had to check with GM. I've read in these threads that we are under no obligation to buy the car, I wanted was looking to see if anyone has had any experience with this.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
tycor

It is from a local dealer. I guess I could get nasty and call the credit card company to get them to remove the charges...I will give them until monday. thanks for the info.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycor View Post
It is from a local dealer. I guess I could get nasty and call the credit card company to get them to remove the charges...I will give them until monday. thanks for the info.
Why would you get "nasty"? What gives you the right to stick it to somebody who you made an agreement with. You went in with good faith to buy this car, they in return in good faith ordered you your car. And now you want to back out. You're backing out of the deal. You shouldn't get it back in my opinion. People like you are the reason why dealers have to have deposits to order cars.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Bbrock25

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Why would you get "nasty"? What gives you the right to stick it to somebody who you made an agreement with. You went in with good faith to buy this car, they in return in good faith ordered you your car. And now you want to back out. You're backing out of the deal. You shouldn't get it back in my opinion. People like you are the reason why dealers have to have deposits to order cars.
I agree, but you don't know the circumstances why he backed outta the deal. Something may have came up that he wouldn't be able to afford the car, or possibly got laid off at work. But I agree, if there wasn't any underlying reasons as to why he backed out of the deal, he shouldn't get it back.
Bbrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbrock25 View Post
I agree, but you don't know the circumstances why he backed outta the deal. Something may have came up that he wouldn't be able to afford the car, or possibly got laid off at work. But I agree, if there wasn't any underlying reasons as to why he backed out of the deal, he shouldn't get it back.

He was impatient and didn't want to wait any more.... Looks like he only ordered 3 weeks ago ......
Old 08-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
Imfishintx

Drives: 07 Tahoe LTZ
The car hasn't been ordered yet.....still at 1100!! So he should get stuck for the deposit?? WOW.....I need to find that job where you get paid for doing absolutely nothing!! You should get your deposit back either way anyhow, you think they won't be able to sell the car??? The demand still is more than the supply,so the people like you comment is way out of line!
Imfishintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
Dealers should work with you in these times regardless, if the car wasn't ordered the deposit should be given back. How much time did the dealer spend on the order, 10 minutes to punch in the order. Some dealers don't even ask for a deposit, it's not like it's law or even every dealers procedure to ask for one.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
Bbrock25

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebighar View Post
Dealers should work with you in these times regardless, if the car wasn't ordered the deposit should be given back. How much time did the dealer spend on the order, 10 minutes to punch in the order. Some dealers don't even ask for a deposit, it's not like it's law or even every dealers procedure to ask for one.
Yea I ordered mine over the phone lol.
Bbrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Check Virginia consumer laws as well. Some states do not allow non-refundable deposits, regardless of what the dealer says. I'm a little surprised the dealer wanted a non-refundable deposit at this point- my deposit is fully refundable.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Don't get nasty yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycor View Post
It is from a local dealer. I guess I could get nasty and call the credit card company to get them to remove the charges...I will give them until Monday. thanks for the info.
If you have nothing in writing, neither initiated by you, nor by them, and simply a receipt that you have paid them $xxx then there is no formal agreement. The deposit can be reasonably inferred as a down payment to hold a car that was ordered. The question is, can they keep your down payment if you back out...

Depends. You can ask them for the deposit back and give them a week to comply. If they end up refusing, then you can demand it back since there was no agreement in writing on the terms of the deposit. You must understand that they may try to hold you to the deposit and you may threaten small claims court.

The big question is: why do you want it back? Were things implied or promised that did not occur (ie. we'll have a car in 6 weeks for you) or did you simply change your mind. If it is the former, then you would likely have no problem winning that in any court and the dealer knows it. If you simply changed your mind, you could still get the $$ back, but you'd have to base it on the grounds that there were no implied stipulations to the deposit agreement.

By the way, I probably do place at least some of the burden on you. As you should ALWAYS get any financial transaction in writing or email...lesson learned I guess.

Don't get nasty...quite yet... give them a chance to give it back nicely...

By the way, most dealers/dealerships have poor reputations and are not likely to be favored in a court. The 50% bad apples spoiled it for the more honest50%...

Last edited by drtwo; 08-14-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling
drtwo is offline   Reply With Quote