Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Who is thinking about waiting for a COPO rather than jumping on a ZL1?

I was planning on ordering a ZL1, but after talking to my idiot dealer and seeing that they don't have an allocation for any ZL1's and that they are planning to mark up the first ones they will be able to recieve by 25k. I have kind of thought since any reasonable dealer will have their allocations full and still have a long list in line ahead of me for the ZL1 that I may just wait a year or so and see if they do actually produce the COPO Camaro.

What do you all think?

I know the COPO will most likely not be street legal, but who would be able to use the ZL1 to it's full potential on the street any way. Also I will still have my SS and after this time I might be able to also pick up a reasonable used ZL1 to add to the collection.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #2
506JTF

Drives: Invalid
I was under the impression that the Copo was a drag car. Is it build to do anything but go in a straight line?
506JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Not street legal is an understatement.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
MIKnam67
MIC

Drives: 2012 SSRS 6sp man Blk
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
I was planning on ordering a ZL1, but after talking to my idiot dealer and seeing that they don't have an allocation for any ZL1's and that they are planning to mark up the first ones they will be able to recieve by 25k. I have kind of thought since any reasonable dealer will have their allocations full and still have a long list in line ahead of me for the ZL1 that I may just wait a year or so and see if they do actually produce the COPO Camaro.

What do you all think?

I know the COPO will most likely not be street legal, but who would be able to use the ZL1 to it's full potential on the street any way. Also I will still have my SS and after this time I might be able to also pick up a reasonable used ZL1 to add to the collection.
Only those that want a NHRA certified drag car that can only be driven on the race track and those with deep pockets
MIKnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
This particular COPO car is NOT streetable like the 1969 version. The new ones are gutted, framed, and truly limited use vehicles.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

It is strictly a drag car and although there is probably no way I would ever be able to drive it on the street I thought from a collectors standpoint and the fact that if I did race the ZL1 it would most likely be in a straight line any way the COPO would be a fun car to have assuming it is produced and it comes in at a price point somewhere near the ZL1.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
Old 12-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
No VIN equals no street use.....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
over 100k
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
The COPO is like the Cobra jet.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
I saw another "MSRP available" just this morning reading the forums. Mine is locked up already, but any dealer wanting to charge 25k EXTRA PROFIT won't be selling his ZL1.

COPO is not a car to drive, it is a car to drag race, and it will NOT be close to the same as a ZL1 in price - at all. I would wager the COPO Camaro will cost more than a ZR1 Corvette, probably by a considerable margin.

If you were a serious drag racer, you wouldn't have a mindset that is locked into one particular dealer with an outlandish markup. Since you aren't a serious drag racer, get a ZL1 that you can drive and enjoy, and please don't pay more than 5k over. If you call around asking for MSRP and want to place an order with deposit, you can probably still find one, but you will find PLENTY if you're willing to go 5k over.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
The COPO is like the Cobra jet.
Hopefully the price is under that of the 86k for the Cobra jet and a limited production of 50 is also used for the Camaro, if this is so I would definately be interested in having one.

If the price is any higher, or there is not a limited production and price is not significantly lower, I guess I would have to pass.

But as far as the ZL1 it looks like I will be waiting about a year for prices to settle down or for some reputable dealers to fill their orders before I order a ZL1 any way. Meanwhile I will just be keeping an eye out for a nice used ZL1 and drooling over everyone else's ZL1s.

If I ever do get to have a COPO, guess I will have to do some suspension mods to the trailer to make it handle better on the street LMAO.

504hp/478tq
Old 12-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
No VIN equals no street use.....
No VIN also should mean no gas guzzler tax and no registration fees.

504hp/478tq
Old 12-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
No VIN also should mean no gas guzzler tax and no registration fees.
And no registration or insurance as well....... don't get pulled over if you try and street it! I wonder what those fines would be
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
And no registration or insurance as well....... don't get pulled over if you try and street it! I wonder what those fines would be
You mean after it was impounded?
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote