Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Travo

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS
Check engine light P0449 on and off

I recently just had the CEL come on with a p0449 code: Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Malfunction. I was planning on taking to the dealer Tuesday but after being on for about a day and a half the CEL turned off. I'm curious if the CEL turning off after being on means that the problem doesn't exist anymore? I thought maybe the 2 straight weeks of rain from Hurricane Sandy could have caused some electrical problem to show this error then maybe turned off when it was completely dry. I would much rather skip the 500 dollar repair if there is no major problem. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I also had this problem about 6 months ago the code was P0306:Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected. The CEL also turned off after about 10 minutes of being lit, so I end up ignoring it.

Last edited by Travo; 11-15-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Travo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
I also have this CEL code and would like to bump this. I have cats/tune, and am wondering how to fix it as well....
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Check your gas cap first, but may be the solinoid. Time to go to the dealer if emmissions related like this.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Travo

The light came back on the other day do I took it to the dealer yesterday. They told me I needed a new purge canister. They were trying to charge $710 with labor, but made a quick call to GM Chevy assistance and they talked with the dealer. They bumped it down to 100 plus tax for the replacement plus labor.

Seems as if this is a problem for a lot of the 2010-2011 models. Probably why GM has helped out with the price, I would recommend going that route if you have the same issue.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Cornflakes'Camaro

I have headers w/ mid pipes...is the CEL because of the mods? Should I even go to the dealer if I don't have Cat's anymore?
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
I have headers w/ mid pipes...is the CEL because of the mods?
Nope.

P0449 only has two known causes. Loose gas cap, or bad purge canister/solenoid.

If it's the canister or solenoid check Autozone or Advance before you go to the dealer. We recently had the same issue on my dads '03 Impala. The dealer wanted $300 to replace it. I went to Autozone and got the part for $35 and changed it in less then 5 mins.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Mr_Draco

Sure enough found the part for the Camaro on Autozone for $28. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ifier=396_0_0_

I don't know exactly where it's at on the Camaro but it's located somewhere near the gas tank.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #8
Cornflakes'Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Nope.

P0449 only has two known causes. Loose gas cap, or bad purge canister/solenoid.

If it's the canister or solenoid check Autozone or Advance before you go to the dealer. We recently had the same issue on my dads '03 Impala. The dealer wanted $300 to replace it. I went to Autozone and got the part for $35 and changed it in less then 5 mins.

Mr. Draco you're the man. I'll look into it and post my results!
Old 11-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
Travo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Sure enough found the part for the Camaro on Autozone for $28. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ifier=396_0_0_

I don't know exactly where it's at on the Camaro but it's located somewhere near the gas tank.
This isn't the correct part, the part number should be 92226690. Its around $178 at retail, sadly not $28. I saw on amazon they are going for around 80 though, so might be able to get one cheaper there.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travo View Post
This isn't the correct part, the part number should be 92226690. Its around $178 at retail, sadly not $28. I saw on amazon they are going for around 80 though, so might be able to get one cheaper there.
The number you posted is the GM part number. My dad's impala was the same way. I took it off and went to the dealer to buy one and the retail on one from GM was $200. I walked out and went to Autozone and they had it for $35. When our issue first arisen I googled "2003 Impala P0449" and there was a lot of sites saying the same thing, that the GM part number was really expansive and they was able to get one at Autozone or Advanced for $30-$40.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
bambino87

Drives: 2010 rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travo View Post
The light came back on the other day do I took it to the dealer yesterday. They told me I needed a new purge canister. They were trying to charge $710 with labor, but made a quick call to GM Chevy assistance and they talked with the dealer. They bumped it down to 100 plus tax for the replacement plus labor.

Seems as if this is a problem for a lot of the 2010-2011 models. Probably why GM has helped out with the price, I would recommend going that route if you have the same issue.
what number did you call?
bambino87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #12
Travo

Look up GM Chevy Assistance