Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Drastically lowering IAT....

Working on the first production of the super chiller for the Gen5 maggie/KB style super charger application. This uses the cars A/C compressor to cool the water-air intercooler fluid. So far seeing 20 degrees and lower (depending on the outside air temp, hotter the better it cools) temps when engaged. Has no effect on the power available when running on the track as at WOT the compressor disengages. No condensation drip when in the intercooler mode so safe for the track.

Machined the adaptor blocks for the Gen5 this weekend, and will post picks of each step. This is on the Disturbed Customs 2010SS shop car and will be available for release in the next 30 days if all goes well.

Will post up pics soon.
Update! We need another donor!!! Will do the install for free & less than 1/2 price on the system!!!!!

Last edited by SC2150; 09-09-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
Old 08-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
This shows a lot of promise.

Would you mind posting up more details if u can??

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
Interested!!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Wow, this could be really big; especially in the summer.

High IAT's mean less timing which means less power. So, cooling things off would be a great idea.

I was also wondering if wrapping the Kenne Bell intake tube with some type of insolation might help reduce IAT's.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
VERY INTERESTING!!! Wasn't Ford trying to do this too, some time ago?... Anyways, I think a LOT of people are going to be watching your progess. Does this effect the operation of the A/C inside the car at all?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
SonnyakaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
VERY INTERESTING!!! Wasn't Ford trying to do this too, some time ago?... Anyways, I think a LOT of people are going to be watching your progess. Does this effect the operation of the A/C inside the car at all?
I agree. I think a lot of people will look into this mod.

Also, you ask a good question. I'm interested to hear how it works and some further details.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
I agree. I think a lot of people will look into this mod.

Also, you ask a good question. I'm interested to hear how it works and some further details.
I swear I read about something like this when they were first talking about a new generation Lightning or something...

I don't think I'd mind if I had to sacrifice some A/C performance for better engine performance, but not knowing much about A/C, I imagine if there is a bigger draw from cooling the charge, that a larger condensor would require more refrigerant and that would make up for the draw All I know, is this sounds pretty cool

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
wonder if jeff at tpe is looking at this post as he does a lot of kb units in vegas. some serious heat out there...here in florida where not to cool either 100 plus degrees with humidity 4 months of the year...oh, your in bradenton , i guess we both know how brutal heat can be..
Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
SonnyakaPig

Quote:
I swear I read about something like this when they were first talking about a new generation Lightning or something...

I don't think I'd mind if I had to sacrifice some A/C performance for better engine performance, but not knowing much about A/C, I imagine if there is a bigger draw from cooling the charge, that a larger condensor would require more refrigerant and that would make up for the draw All I know, is this sounds pretty cool
Yes it does.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Does NOT effect the inside A/C, but with the inside AC engaged there will be condesation dripping so it would not be what you want at the dragstrip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
wonder if jeff at tpe is looking at this post as he does a lot of kb units in vegas. some serious heat out there...here in florida where not to cool either 100 plus degrees with humidity 4 months of the year...oh, your in bradenton , i guess we both know how brutal heat can be..
Jeff will NEVER get another product I develop ever again. Caused me a fortune in broken promises and drug me through the mud. Stillen is watching & so is Dustin Whipple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
Yes it does.
The Fords did a similar setup, but didn't seem to go anywhere. I may be wrong, but I do R&D for the Ford crowd as well and most have heard of Fords setup, but nobody I know has seen one.

Here are some pics & explanation:

The underhood:

(shows some of the billet pulleys).

The main adaptor block that goes between the main manifold near the firewall on the drivers side.

Very simple, single bolt. Kit comes with longer stud and everything needed. All are 6061 T6 billet Alum:

A 3/8" alum line goes from the adaptor block to th mounts near the cooler that mounts near the intercooler behind the front fascia.

The control valves, the larger one diverts the intercooler coolant through the new heat exchanger (made of stainless) when you engage the chiller mode.

The smaller unit allows you to use both the inside air & the chiller, or divert all cooling to the chiller.

Now below 60 degrees outside air temp the unit will lower the temp still, but at 90-100 degree outside temps the unit shines! Cooler air charge allows you to run more timing, less chance of detonation, and more mower due to the denser oxygen rich air charge.

A meth injection kit will also acomplish this, but you never need to keep adding methanol so after the purchase and install, no reacurring costs.

Options include digital temp display(shos both outside abient temp & the cooler temp) for the cabin, LED indicators, etc.

Every few days I willl try to give more updates & pics. Right now, DC is the only authorized installer and Master Distributor, and they will offer training for resellers/dealers.

Models for the GTO are complete, the 2010/11 camaro is what you see, and the C5/6 corvette & CTSV to follow.

Last edited by SC2150; 09-05-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
SWEET!

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #13
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
So, this basically reroutes the coolant in the superchargers system through the AC pump to drastically cool it? Will this give below ambient temps?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:21 AM   #14
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
So, this basically reroutes the coolant in the superchargers system through the AC pump to drastically cool it? Will this give below ambient temps?
Not quite, the AC pump is a sealed system using freon to remove heat from the air. This makes use of the AC system like a van or SUV with rear air, but instead of a second evap in the rear to cool, we tap into the system and run the freon through a dual chamber cooler that allows liqued to be cooled. The liquid in this application is the intercooler coolant.

It can be cooled to near 40 degrees F in ideal conditions. So say the outside ambient temp is 90, the intercooler coolant could be cooled to say 70, 60 or so.

Closed Thread