Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > Europe

Old 10-14-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
Hi Noon

Drives: Camaro 2010
Average prices for 2010 Camaro in Europe

Okay, so I thought I would start a thread on this topic.

First of all because I'm crazy about this new Camaro and I want one, bad... So, I have done extensive research on the net and by phone on the general prices for LT and SS cars, imported in Europe. This data is from my findings and of course, Camaro fans in Europe are most welcome to contribute to this thread and add hard data they have, so to facilitate our endeavours.

We get milked by import companies and states alike, so getting the right bang for the buck to get this fantastic car should be a priority !

Now the situation is rather grim, since we have to go through private import companies, or DIY. Both are difficult: costly import, or (like in France) unbelievable complicated import process.

Tehj good news: the Euro is very high compared to the US$, so Camaro fans, lets go for it.

Lets start with Ecotax: All owners of Camaros imported in EC countries must pay 2600 euros of CO2 tax upon registering the vehicle. This is because no compliance to Euro5 norm is available.
Additional registering costs vary from country to country. In France, this goes about 1000 euros.
Holland: In addition there is the "wegenbelasting", based on vehicle weight. The 2010 Camaro is heavy, wegenblasting should be close to 1000 euros (estimate). May our Dutch friends help here.
Germany: 1000 euros for registration, I understand.

DIY import:

Base car prices: say about 25000 euros for a loaded SS
Shipment:1000 euros
VAT: country dependant.
The legal process involves an UTAC/DRIRE visit in France, and a TUV statement in Germany. On SS/RS cars we may have to remove illegal Xenon lights. Side lights may need to be added.

Import company:
France: SS 55000 to 60000 euros
LT 41000 to 45000 euros
Germany: SS 45000 to 50000 euros
No data on LT
Most import companies pretend they will deliver to your door a car with all duties paid and registration papers ready, for that lump sum. In France they claim to adapt the vehicle as per European standards all within this cost.

BEWARE to get a proper VAT statement to avoid the VAT fraud some people do. BEWARE of German cars being paid via Spanish companies (the so-called "triangular euro VAT fraud"). Some people have been caught by their tax administration for not paying VAT presumably paid in Spain, and in fact not paid at all.... crooks abound in this business.

Lets enrich this information. To all european Camaro buyers: pleae help the community by entering your import experience in this thread, and specially the specifics per country. This will be helpful for all.

Patrick
Hi Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
F4st1DiO

Drives: Peugeot 208 e-HDI Allure
Send a message via MSN to F4st1DiO Send a message via Skype™ to F4st1DiO
Here in Italy I found the following price for ready-to-street cars.
2LT/RS: 34.000€ - 36.000€
SS: 40.000€ - 45000€

The only tax to pay other the price above is the "tax of property" which is calculated with the HP and is about 500-800€

The price above are the Best I found after an incredible number of mail and phone calls...
Old 10-21-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
No VAT tax for US imported vehicles in Italy? Interesting ... may buy my Z28 (one day) in Italy then take back the car in France, no VAT cause European Union ... interesting
Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
F4st1DiO

Drives: Peugeot 208 e-HDI Allure
Send a message via MSN to F4st1DiO Send a message via Skype™ to F4st1DiO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
No VAT tax for US imported vehicles in Italy? Interesting ... may buy my Z28 (one day) in Italy then take back the car in France, no VAT cause European Union ... interesting
The VAT tax is included in that prices.. here is called IVA and is 20%. As I wrote in other threads the dealers know some "workaround" to declare the cars ad used or damaged and pay a low VAT (i think somthing like 6-7% instead of 20%).

Keep in mind that the prices in the previous post are not calculated by me, but are price for "ready for street" obtained from vendors in north Italy calling and writing mail. All tax are included except the proprierty tax (called "Bollo") calculated on HP.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Ok, looks almost the same as in France ... except French retailers sell their SS for 70,000 EUR ...
Big margins, no VAT tricks added ... I guess Italy is a better place to find tricks to deal with VAT!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
tc816

Drives: Volvo S60 R300; Camaro 2010 2SS
Post Belgium: 2SS/RS, Red Jewel Tintcoat, Black Leather, Sunroof

Hi,

I have ordered mine some weeks ago.
It's a 2SS with the RS package in Red Jewel Tintcoat ext color and black leather inside and the sunroof.

I'm based in Belgium.

Fortunately, there was one in stock in the US with exactly the options I wanted.

The car as been shipped and is now in the import company warehouse in Rotterdam.
I went there to see it last week :-)

Regarding the costs here are the details I have:
. 2SS / RS with options and including US dealer margin : ~ $42000
. You have to register and title the car in the US in order for the car to be exported - I had to pay €1000 to the importing company as a "dealer fee" to do that and organize the deal itself with the US dealer.
. Shipping by boat ("royal" class): ~ €800
. Insurance: I took a 2% of the car value insurance to be safe with the shipping "door-to-door" covering any kind of damage (comprehensive kind of insurance): ~ €850
. Ship Loading / Unloading / Handling for the custom clearance: ~ €600
. Custom clearance: 10% of the car invoice so 10% of $42000 so $4200 equivalent in € at the time of the custom clearance itself.
. Adjusting to EU standards: ~ €800
. EU Conformity check (via Germany): ~ €1500
. You will have to pay the VAT in the country where the car will finally be registered (for me Belgium so 21%) on the car invoice amount + the custom clearance fee so a percentage on $42000 + $4200 using the above figures
. Last thing, you will have to register your car (in order to have plates) and insure it. For the registration and as the EU standard CO2 emission is unknown for the Camaro, here in Belgium, I've been told that the administration will take a "default" CO2 emission value of 182mg.

I think that's it.

The importing company is currently adapting the car to EU standards.

The main point here is the problem with the xenon lights as I took the RS package. The rule in Belgium is that there must be a cleaning system (not a problem, easy to implement) AND an automatic leveling system (that's the biggest problem!).

For the side lights and rear red direction lights that's fine, no change needed I think - the only thing to add is a rear fog light - you can use the rear left backward white light but to do this the glass must also be replaced in order to put one that is EU conform (E sign on it) for rear fog lights (yes yes - crazy!).

So in summary, you are looking at a total cost of ~ €43000 including VAT but excluding registration (plates) & insurance.

I will let you know the exact details as I receive them from the importing company.

I should receive the car "ready to be registered for the plates - within 2 to 3 weeks.

TC
tc816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
Hi Noon

Very interesting - thanks to all.
The italian prices reported by F4st1DiO are rather low, I'm surprised, unless a special deal is had for VAT (+20% usually)..

Well the deal seems to be that its possible for us Europeans to get this car at about 45000 euros plus VAT on top = about 50000 euros I think.

I have selected mine but I used an import company so I pay someone to put the car in the container etc. I do not trust anyone here and have spent a lot of time on the phone with the import company to start believing what they said. The guy oversees directly the car transfer to the shipment company and checks the car whilst it is being put in the box.

Car is black with white stripes. Comes from Florida. I am told that the Camaro is very scarce at the moment in that state.

Some other company told me they buy their cars in Mexico to avoid the "over window sticker" syndrome in the US at the moment. This I need to check further and will report here.

Last edited by Hi Noon; 10-26-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
Hi Noon

OK i've had more info about inporting from Mexico.
A french dealer based in Paris informs me that they are able to locate the car there and import it. Overall price including VAT etc buyt excluding registration: about 45000 euros.

However there is a catch: prospective buyers must in fact buy the car (30000$) with this deposit upfront and the work done by this company is limited to following the delivery process. So all expenses are paid directly by the future owner as the import process goes.

I doubt this is a serious proposition.

The guy I bought my car from, actually went there to get it, put it in the box, imports it etc and I pay a delivered product only at the very end when all the papers are ready and the car on european soil. So it is more expensive, but also alot more secure.

Buyers beware ! And good luck to get the car of your dreams.

Cheers - Patrick
Old 11-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Hi Noon

I have had news today that GM will import the Camaro in Europe officially in 2011. It was in a french sports car mag. The paper stated that GM initially wanted to import it in 2010 but that has been pushed back one year in order to , officially, "setup the dealer network properly".

Note that the official GM european import company went bankrupt early this year. Remaining stock (many nice Vettes in the lot) were grabbed by dealers.

http://www.ccfa.fr/revue-de-presse/p...-kroymans.html

So I guess people who decided to import their Camaro privately did the right thing. It will take time for GM to come back to Europe eventually.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
jkoski

Drives: Made in Italy
Interested in SS

Can you tell who is the dealer that can provide SS by 40.000 ?
jkoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
Hi Noon

Jkoski:

Yep, here is a link http://pros.lacentrale.fr/C023117/

Now, they have only one SS on that website and it is a lot more than 40000.
The site is in french, sorry.
On the phone, the guy said that cars already imported in europe will not be cheap (at least 55000 euros). But, he said, they can import directly from Mexico. He said they buy the car there in your name (so you pay for a new car at about $33000) and then they run the import process with you etc. I think he speaks english, you can try the number.

Personally, I had problems to believe you could really import a new car from Mexico that way. On top I do not like to give these guys $33000 (or 23000 euros) just like that for a car that I did not see. So in the end I did not go for the deal. I paid my camaro 55000 euros.

Good luck

Patrick
Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #12
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Having one of these bad boys over in Europe. Man!!! That would be SWEET!!! Talk about
turning heads and rarely if ever seeing another one!!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #13
tc816

Drives: Volvo S60 R300; Camaro 2010 2SS
Post Camaro 2SS/RS delivered to Belgium

Hi,

Now that my new 2010 Camaro 2SS has been delivered to my place and as promised earlier in this thread, here are the detailed real costs for having my car with the RS package, sunroof, 20" silver polished wheels and the red jewel tintcoat color options, delivered from the US to my door:

Car***** 28.210 €
Sea Shipping 781 €
Boat Unload 375 €
Handling 35 €
Custom Clearance 75 €
Custom Duty****** 2.821 €
Shipping Insurance* 844 €
NL Internal Transport* 150 €
EU Standard Adjustment 795 €
Headlight Cleaning System** 375 €
EU Approval (conformity) 1.450 €
US Dealer Fee*** 1.000 €
Car Cover* 203 €
NL to BE Transport* 225 €
Total Excl. VAT 37.339 €
VAT 21%**** 6.516 €
Total Incl. VAT 43.856 €

Some notes
:
* optional
** only if you ordered the RS package (xenon lights)
*** optional if you know someone resident in the US who can have the car titled & registered for you
**** note that VAT is calculated only on the car invoice + the custom duty - in Belgium VAT is 21%
***** the € / $ rate was 1.4782 when I bough the car ($41,700)
****** custom duty is 10% of the car price (invoice from the US dealer)

TC

Last edited by tc816; 11-16-2009 at 09:16 AM.
tc816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
DRB

Drives: Black 2010 SS/RS on Autobahn
I have a black 2010 2SS with the RS package. Has less than 1800 miles on and it's an automatic. Mint condition. Make me an offer I can't refuse and it's yours. PM me.
DRB is offline   Reply With Quote