Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #113
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
MRT 2.0 with cold air intake. I put some moving blankets in the trunk for the little bit of Highway done.... Wife said take them out, she wants to hear it all!
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #114
jschlitz2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2 LT RS
Thumbs up

Got me some Solo Cat Back, Love them and the sound.
jschlitz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #115
BUZZCAMARO

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
For those that installed the magnaflow resonated X - can you use exhaust clamps to install it, or do you need to have it welded? I'm cheap, and if I can get the resonated X and just band clamp it and not have to pay to have someone weld it in that'd be awesome.
I've had mine clamped in there for almost a year, and plan to get it all welded up soon. The Mag. Res. X. center to center is 1/2" wider than the stock V6 H-pipe. To separate the pipes wide enough to fit the Mag., the spots where the factory pipes are welded together (the welds are on the tops of the pipes so are hard to see)..those have to be cut. So to cut them, it's got to be dropped, yeah, the whole ball of wax, from the factory clamps right after the cats, the whole things got to come off.

Now about the clamps, I found the genuine Walker band clamps from summit to grip better than the Summit brand which looks similar, but they are not. Now take this as it is, coming from somebody who is not a mechanic by any measure..those clamps did not tighten down on them evan when torqued to the max. This lead to very annoying rattles while standing in drive idling, which you can't find because it has to be in gear to find it.

Not only all of that, but the pipes after the H are 2 1/4 on the V6, so you got to have adapters, which ended up so funky fitting that at that point I had given up trying to make the clamps tight. The area near the resonators where the steel bracket is, is now in direct contact with my pipes, before I did the mag. res. x they were not touching it. This is a problem which causes allot of rattle and probably much of the unwanted sounds I hear are from rattles not the exhaust.

That all said, the axel back set of Flowmasters I had came with clamps that did tighten down good, they are made to by a slot cut into the overlap area. THe Mag. Res. X on the other hand was intended to be welded on (no slot cut into them).

The benefit of clamping lets you do some experiments beforehand, as I've done, and now that I pretty much made up my mind I want to get it all welded up.

If I didn't experiment, I know I'd have wound up with something I thought sounded horrible, I don't think you can judge what you want by listening to vids over a computer. I allmost did that till I tried clamping in pipes and driving it around. Just make sure nothing is going to fall off while you test drive it, I used some other band type clamps from the hardware store for safety.

My end system will be awesome sounding to my ears, I know cause I tried it out, now to get it all welded up.
BUZZCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #116
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
i had my x-pipe welded in place when i had my exhaust done. you could cut slits into the x-pipe connections and clamp it...i think you should just get it welded.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #117
ogre

Drives: 2013 2LS Black
I installed the MBRP catback and the Roto Fab CAI and I love the low, well modulated growl when I step on it. No drone. and I got an Awesome deal for the combo at Juiced motorsports...$880 shipped. I paid an extra $10 for the dry filter but I received the Oiled filter. I went ahead and installed it anyway and emailed Juiced Motorsports for my $10 refund.

They admitted the mistake and refunded me $20!
this is a shameless plug for Juiced Motorsports...
ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #118
Rhyno81

Drives: Summit White 2012 2SS RS M6
I have a Magnaflow cat back. Has the resonated X Pipe. Sounds good... but sort of quiet. No drone and no rasp at all. Want to try with non resonated X pipe or without mufflers and straight pipes..
-TSP 1 7/8" long tubes with high flow cats
-Muffler Delete
-Matte Black Powdercoated 20"SS Wheels (General GMax Tires)
-BMR Strut Brace
-ZL1 Swapped front end

Rhyno81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #119
c5dreamer

Drives: Tacoma/2LTRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I installed the MBRP catback and the Roto Fab CAI and I love the low, well modulated growl when I step on it. No drone. and I got an Awesome deal for the combo at Juiced motorsports...$880 shipped. I paid an extra $10 for the dry filter but I received the Oiled filter. I went ahead and installed it anyway and emailed Juiced Motorsports for my $10 refund.

They admitted the mistake and refunded me $20!
this is a shameless plug for Juiced Motorsports...

Any chance you have a video of your MBRP cutback in action?
c5dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #120
shewstring

Drives: 2016 Convertible 2SS
GMPP Exhaust on mine. Had it for a week now and love the low mellow tone it provides both outside and inside the car. On throttle, it sounds mean (but so loud the po-po is chasing you), at cruise, you wouldn't know it was there. RobertRS confirmed my thinking that this would be the ticket for what I described in sound above. Mine is on a 2014 2LT/RS Convertible.
shewstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #121
sixt3denied

Drives: 2012 1LT/RS BLACK w NOS
For what it's worth, after looking at countless posts on exhausts, and listening to a gazillion youtube clips - I decided to open my wallet and buy the Dynomax Dual 2.5" Axle-Back Ultra-Flow Welded System. It took me about 1 hour to remove the stock exhaust and do the install. It was a very easy installation. Would have been faster if i had a better sawzall blade (lol).

The sound is great! So much deeper than stock. Louder and deeper than stock when accelerating, but quiet when cruising. Cabin noise is definitely louder but not bothersome at all. No drone. Overall very happy with them. I'm guessing they will sound even better after they have a chance to break in. The tips stick out a little farther and really look great! And sooo much lighter than stock!!! I cant believe the weight difference!
I tried to record a sound clip but my phone just cant pick up the audio good enough. Here's a pic of the exhaust tip. I think for the price it is a huge improvement over stock without breaking the bank, and is a great do-it-yourself mod too.
Attached Images

BBK CAI, Dynomax Ultra Flow Exhaust, Vitesse Throttle Controller, 3M Dark Tint, BMR Subframe Connectors, BMR Drive Shaft Tunnel Brace, Bosch Brakes, Ny-Trex Triple Threat System, Glowshift NOS Gauge, Innovate LC-2 Wideband AFR Gauge, GM Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Heritage Grill, Custom LFX Emblems, BAFX Bluetooth OBDII Interface, Torque Pro Logging, Big Worm Graphix Spears & Stripes,Niche M117 Misano Wheels, MGP Caliper Covers
sixt3denied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #122
chasmanian

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
I bought a set of 3" mufflers from a fellow member. They're made by Stainless Works for Tom Henry Racing. I know 3"would normally hurt back-pressure, but since I only installed the axle-back system, it shouldn't change much, if at all.

http://YouTube's.be/Jwz3DxaotAQ

Last edited by chasmanian; 07-20-2014 at 07:34 PM.
chasmanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #123
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
I just ordered the MRT V-2 axle-back set yesterday.....I'll let you know how I feel about it after I get it and find a shop to weld it on for me.
Love it!!! But there is drone.....I don't care. Car gets up really nice now.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borla, exhaust, loud, magnaflow, v6 engine