Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #71
wyd_trkr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2LT/RS A8
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrak View Post
Should I take my car to get this done even if I havent had an issue with it?
Abstrak, If I were you and I was concerned about this problem with the 2012's, then I would take the car into your Dealership and let a tech drive the car and document your concerned issue and if and when the problem occurs, then they can fix it. Dealerships will not fix a problem without them getting it to duplicate the existing problem of other LFX 2012 Camaro's with the 6L50 Transmission's Torque Converter!
My Link Navigation
Onstar & Bluetooth Built-In
K&N Panel Filter
Lumar/Pro WindowTint
Mailto: wyd_trkr@bellsouth.net
wyd_trkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #72
wyd_trkr

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Anyone ever hear of this happening in a prior 2012 model? I posted about it in the LLT section but then saw this here today. A couple times now while driving down the highway under light throttle I get the same shuddering, almost like an engine missfire. A real "WTF" moment. It has happened two or three times, but it happened to me at highway speeds...say 65 - 70 MPH. Sure seems pretty similar to what I experienced.

When I drive slower, in the 40 - 50 mph range I can't reproduce the issue nearly as badly, but it does seem like there is some slight shuddering when I go from light throttle and then let off.
KMPrenger, If I were you and I was concerned about this problem, then I would take the car into your Dealership and let a tech drive the car and document your concerned issue and if and when the problem occurs, then they can fix it. Dealerships will not fix a problem without them getting it to duplicate the same existing problem with your car as they are having with the LFX 2012 Camaro's with the 6L50 Transmission's Torque Converter!
My Link Navigation
K&N Panel Filter
Lumar/Pro WindowTint
Old 04-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #73
myrally

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs summit white
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd_trkr View Post
myrally, If I were you, I would call the Dealership and make another appointment and let them know what is going on with your vehicle, as if it was happening again, maybe you got one of the older converters installed into your car. If it is not the upgraded one, you can expect the same symptoms as you have before! Keep us posted as to how you make out!
thanks that's what I plan on doing but probably going to a different dealership..
myrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #74
wyd_trkr

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Also keep in mind, we do a purpose built much tougher unit for these as well.
SC2150, what does that upgrade entail and what benefits and cost factors are involved?
My Link Navigation
K&N Panel Filter
Lumar/Pro WindowTint
Old 06-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #75
myrally

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs summit white
Quote:
myrally, If I were you, I would call the Dealership and make another appointment and let them know what is going on with your vehicle, as if it was happening again, maybe you got one of the older converters installed into your car. If it is not the upgraded one, you can expect the same symptoms as you have before! Keep us posted as to how you make out!
well they replaced the converter again and yes both are the newer converters the dealership said they have seen more and more 2012's doing this and expect another converter to come out so for now its back to normal
myrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #76
BUZZCAMARO

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS Inferno Orange
I just got back from a 1400 mile trip and mine has those symptoms exactly, no doubt. Mine has only 10,200 miles on it, but I started to notice this problem when it had less than 5K. I just didn't know if this was a serious problem, but now that it has really ripened, it absolutely has to be dealt with.

First thing I did after this recent trip was to search google for "camaro LFX transmission problem" and I landed here.

I was reluctant to bring it in for warranty work, because of all the stories about how they trash your car, have not evan brought it in for the 2 or 3 recall notices I got.

The whole time that the problem ripened I was thinking "this is like a manual in 6th gear going 40 mph".. Other times I swore it felt and sounded exactly like running over rumble strips along the shoulder of a free-way.
BUZZCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #77
BUZZCAMARO

What do I do if they say it won't do it during their test drive?

My recent trip was thru KY and TN, going up the hills is where the problem most definitely occurs, however where I live it's flat so it does not do it frequently.

How do I make sure they don't install another defective torque converter instead of the new ones which have the new improvements? I hate like hell bringing it there one time, I sure don't want to bring it back over and over for the same problem.

They better not try to tell me my lowering springs voids the warranty.... about that effecting the angle of the dangle, etc. If they do I'll make sure they lose at least 100 customers in the future.

In a worse case scenario, saying this car was not under warranty, what would it cost to install the new torque converter?
Old 09-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #78
BUZZCAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Mine felt like when I was just cruising at 40-50 mph, that it was stuck between gears and then when minor pedal pressure was applied to kick it down a gear, it would pick up a bad vibration like I was driving over a washboard/ rumplestrip type feeling. My wife could tell from the passenger seat that sumtin' weren't right, it's that noticable.
That's the best definition I've read so far, I've never dealt with this dealer or his service station, I hope and pray this is not going to be big problem.

On the bright side, I'm optimistically thinking about the posts that said after the fix it drives much better and gets better gas mileage.

I'm very thankful that this forum exists, the way it helps to diagnose problems or performance issues, upgrading parts, etc. If I didn't know what the problem was, this could be a big problem if dealer was not being honest or competent.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #79
BUZZCAMARO

Quote:
You make an appointment with your dealership and they can get you in and out the same day! Unless they find something else, after they diagnose your problem. Hope this helps.
The dealer I bought mine from and talked to in person last Thurs. said "no apointments, you have to leave it here". I've asked if they have the part in stock, they don't know. They told me to bring it back in Mon. cause they got 44 cars in for recalls within a 2 hour period. I didn't take it back today, I'm still preparing for what I can do in case they try to give me the shaft.

They said they'd have to "VERIFY" my complaint, and the car does not do this except on rare occasions where I live due to the flat land. My trip was thru KY. and TN. and on each and every uphill the problem occured.

So, can anybody tell me what I'm suposed to do, I know it won't "do it" for them, and I guess they think every customer is a liar.

I showed them the TSB and like on cue they said "that's not the same as a recall"...duhhh.

Is there anything I can do to the car to inflame the problem so it will do it? I don't think they have a dynometer, which in that case they could probably simulate the load of going uphill.

What recourse do I have if they will not fix my 2 year old 10k miles warranty covered automobile?

In a worse case scenaro, what if I were to buy a performance upgrade torque converter and have it installed, what would be the approximate cost of that? I've watched one youtube vid of a 5G Camaro with an upgraded TC, they said the most significant difference was the instant power on take off.

Hope I don't sound too pessimistic, just saying that I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Should I ask them to drive to the hills of Kentucky?
Old 09-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #80
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Right now you are covered 5 years 100k miles. If you put a convertor in it you have no warranty

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #81
Tannerl22
A/C Off

Drives: 2014 RS/LS3
I think I'm feeling this, if I'm on cruise control I feel like something is trying to brake me, but if I gas it I don't feel it
Tannerl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #82
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Well, my dealership said they couldn't find the problem after driving it 10 miles.

We argued a little over the phone...the jerk said I need to come in and ride with the tech because "maybe I drive more manly than him"...what the hell? He doesn't need to be a smart ass. My job is too important, and too demanding, to take time off to ride around with the tech to help him do his job.

The guy said it's probably the gas I use. I said, "I use Exxon". He said use premium. I said I do.

It was a terrible experience, and I'm STILL HAVING THE PROBLEM!
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #83
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
so my car shakes sometimes under load at low rpms, it just started happening and my car has just under 30k miles. Is it the torque converter?
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #84
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
When I had the problem with mine, I called the local dealership (All American in Killeen, TX) and discussed with the Service Manager, describing the symptoms. He asked me to bring the car in so they could ride in it for a formal diagnosis. Took him just a couple minutes in the car to confirm--and he had already ordered the replacement torque converter based on my description over the phone. Two days later the car was in the shop; out that afternoon. Runs great since.
Have never had a recurrence of this issue. Now have over 26K on car.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote