Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 04-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #10081
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
As much as I agree with you two, the gen y also has contributed more to society in there teens than any other generation. Gen y has grown up with an ability to dream, imagine, create. There has never to this point in history been more
Companies started by teenagers. As much as I hate to say it, it is all relative to the time period you are born in. 50 years ago most were at the age of 18 were imagining families, wedding bells, and have a steady job. Now most consider 18 to be the stepping stone to a new life, college, and finding a career. Once again it is all relative due to the time periods we grow up in.

Remember, we are who you (parents) allow us to be. You as a parent can embrace it or leave it, that is up to you.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #10082
driyac

Also, I was technically born in gen x, but consider myself a gen y. I never had a game station until I was 15 years old. I considered a great day any day I woke up and could
Play outside, and if I couldn't I played with Legos inside. I played until my parents yelled for me not until they called my cell. I got in trouble for building stuff and jumping my huffy.

These are the things gen y does not really know. But because I also grew up in that age I am a hybrid of sorts. I know what hard work is and that life does not come easy, gen y has not experienced this yet.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #10083
driyac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnyd View Post
I think your just jaded. Inflation was just delayed for a while and now they are catching up. We are seeing more inflation than the inflation numbers admit because of the type of products it tracks.

Official inflation is based on CPI. CPI is based on things like Housing, Food and Beverages, Apparel, Recreation, Education, Medical care, Tabacco, haircuts, similar. OK, so our official inflation rates are low, but those are the "cheap" things in the US? Do you realize that the nickel you have in your pocket is technically worth more in nickel than a nickel is worth? (Worth $5.62 in refined nickel).

In fact whats more amazing is how low the average car price is. you get more for less today than in any time in history.

In 1950, the average family made $3,200 a year. Today the average family makes $46,326. a car from the 50's lasted approximately 75k miles, while a car from today easily lasts 150k miles. Conveniently that means in the 50's you would have had to purchase two cars to do the same duty as one car today. So that would be comparing a $3,200 car from 1950 to a $92,652 car today.

Now for 15% over one years salary, you could have bought a chevy corvette for $3500 (1953). We'll compare this to what you could buy today for 15% over our equivalent amount, which would land us a ZR1 Corvette. .. with all its unreal performance, fuel economy, safety features, and luxury features....

or look at the cheapest cars... 1300 was the cheapest you could go in 1950. Today that would buy you anything under $37,000- Like a super safe, super fuel efficient car with more bells and whistles than a 50s car could dream of.

Average gallon of gas in 1950 was 18 cents... thats the equivalency of $2.15 in todays dollars, but cars received less than 1/3 todays gas mileage. Therefore your saving money in gas as well.

is 1950 too old for you? how about 1995? average car price was $15,500... but todays average car price is a whopping $30,000. Wow, double in 20 years? (mind you prices doubled just in the 70s too) But lets just take a good entry level car... the Honda Civic.
A simple DX Sedan cost $12,000. Thats $17,400 in todays dollars, which will buy you a a DX Sedan with 1.5k to spare. the only other differences?
in addition to saving $1.5k, you get 40 more HP, a longer warranty, ABS rbrakes, Traction control, stability control, tire pressure monitoring, trip computing, side airbags, child safety locks, antitheft, AIR CONDITIONING, automatic headlights, power windows, power mirrors...

In other words, cars are a STEAL right now. I think the only difference is what type of people americans have become. They don't want reliable transportation, since they have no problem affording all the car they need, they go after the WANTS- they want STATUS, they want IMAGE, they want POWER, they want features.

Today you can buy a new hyundai accent for $10,665. That would have been $7,062 in 1995, and you couldnt even buy a car that cheap in 95 not to mention the lack of all the safety benefits you have in a new car.

Now if you want to talk about USED cars, tahts a different story.

(dang I wish it wasn't raining because I want to be at mod day right now! Hope those who showed up are having fun... looking forward to pics!)

Great research! My only issue with this is that the comparisons tht you have made include companies not around 50 yets ago. If you want a true comparison, compare gm, ford prices to gdi, GDP, average family income
Over those years.

I have no rift with foreign motor companies but their prices are not relative to prices in the us. They were able to enter the market at significantly lower prices than gm ford ever could because the had limited overhead and operational costs ( I include retirement in operational costs)

You also have to include 3 major events, stock market decline Of 1987, dot coma of 98-2000 and the most recent of 2008 and the impacts that these made on our economy. Short term inflation is outrageous, long term inflation will level out because of these financial short falls. We are a society built on the now and not the 5 years from now.

Btw sorry I am on my phone there spelling an grammar issues everywhere. My apologies.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #10084
driyac

So Guys I posted this in the forum but no one answered, Is anyone going to Good Guys in columbus?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #10085
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Not me.

Just sent... don't want to offend anyone.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #10086
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
So Guys I posted this in the forum but no one answered, Is anyone going to Good Guys in columbus?
doubt it, but when & where?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #10087
driyac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
doubt it, but when & where?
Ohio Expo Center/ Fair Grounds, Columbus Ohio July 6th-7th-8th

Features

• Over 6,000 Rods, Customs, Classics, Muscle Cars, Street Machines and Trucks thru ’72.
  • Super Sunday Get-Together
  • Vendor & Manufacturer Displays
  • Huge Swap Meet & Auto Trader Classics Cars 4 Sale Corral
  • Goodgals Gallery
  • Poker Run
  • Model & Pedal Car Show
  • CruiseWay sponsored by AAA Ohio
  • Nostalgia Stage Shows & Nightly Parties
  • Friday Night Drags at National Trail
  • Hot Rod Seminars
  • Valve Cover Races
  • Goodguys AutoCross
http://www.good-guys.com/events/2012...ys-nationals-2
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #10088
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
I went to Columbus Goodguys a few years ago. It might be time for a return trip.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #10089
rachykells
Gearhead rocker chick

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
The generation before me had a decent attention span. Then my generation grew up on half-hour sitcoms and our attention span diminished. Today, people are living on 140 character tweets. What will the attention span be of the next generation - an emoticon?
I'm ADD... I'm lucky if I get to 140 characters.
Trifecta Tuned / VMAX ported TB / OBX LT headers / MRT v2.0 / Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe / Roto-Fab CAI / RX catch can / AAC Footwell Lights / Blacked-out Bowties / Smoked tails, side markers, reverse lights / 20% tint
rachykells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #10090
rachykells
Gearhead rocker chick

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
Also, I was technically born in gen x, but consider myself a gen y. I never had a game station until I was 15 years old. I considered a great day any day I woke up and could
Play outside, and if I couldn't I played with Legos inside. I played until my parents yelled for me not until they called my cell. I got in trouble for building stuff and jumping my huffy.

These are the things gen y does not really know. But because I also grew up in that age I am a hybrid of sorts. I know what hard work is and that life does not come easy, gen y has not experienced this yet.
You sound a lot like me. I spent the ENTIRE day outside when I was little. I'd only come inside for short breaks or because my mom whistled for us to come back up to the house.

It's scary how a lot of younger people expect everything handed to them. Very annoying. I work my butt off and my parents are both standup, hardworking middle class folk. If I acted as spoiled as some kids I've met., my mom would slap me upside the head.

But anyway-- this thread got all serious for a minute. Please excuse me while i go rev my car.
Trifecta Tuned / VMAX ported TB / OBX LT headers / MRT v2.0 / Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe / Roto-Fab CAI / RX catch can / AAC Footwell Lights / Blacked-out Bowties / Smoked tails, side markers, reverse lights / 20% tint
rachykells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #10091
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

I thought I heard a sweeper... nope Rach's car.

I kid!

Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #10092
MSully1123
Sully

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Who's still game to meet before Thursday night lights and cruise to edgewater. It this Thursday!! Plans need to be finalized!
MSully1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #10093
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

I'm out. This is a busy week for me.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #10094
MSully1123
Sully

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
You live in Georgetown irocanss?
MSully1123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boringeversincehausleft, doesanyoneactuallyreadthislol, drew10stealsbolts, funny tags are funny, hrpii is pregnant, iroc204hp, irocababy, irocabigsticktobeatyouall, irocansshole, irocarubmark, irocasuspension, irocfluffyslippers, irocgrocerygetter, irocinsomnia, irocsshole, the jeopardy song, trackdaymidohio, whogetsridoftheircamaro4ajeep, whydotheyhatechubby?