Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
RichP

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert L99
Talking CAI Installed on 2013 Vert SS

Color me impressed! Wasn't expecting such a noticeable difference even after reading about 100 threads about others' installs.

Love the "growl" intake sound when you get it on and was breaking the tires loose without even trying(L99).

Install was pretty painless but I just want to put some trim around that upper notch near the negative battery cable.

Should I do the fuse pull to reset the ECU?

RichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
If you think there might have been bum gas in it at any time, go ahead.
Pull the fuse and try. No harm done.
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Like POS Dakota said, if it has never been done there is no reason not to. Might surprise you. Here is a diagram to help.

Oh, and...

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
RichP

Thanks! Did the fuse pull this morning. Taking the car out for a few hours today so will get a good feel for it.

Thinking of the Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle relocate next.

All in the name of better MPG ;-)
Old 04-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
Thanks! Did the fuse pull this morning. Taking the car out for a few hours today so will get a good feel for it.

Thinking of the Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle relocate next.

All in the name of better MPG ;-)
Oh, of course. Why else.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
What does the Fuse thingy action do then? as I've not done that after fitting my CAI months ago... and ... Chase, do I pull both those fuses on my V6? and is that fuse board in the engine bay or drivers side panel?
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
What does the Fuse thingy action do then? as I've not done that after fitting my CAI months ago... and ... Chase, do I pull both those fuses on my V6? and is that fuse board in the engine bay or drivers side panel?
There are two specific spark timing tables housed in the memory of the vehicle’s Electronic Control Module (ECM). One is used for cars running high octane fuel and the other for when the vehicle is using low octane fuels. Whenever you drive the vehicle, the ECM is constantly making decisions based on the data it receives from all of the sensors in the engine and exhaust. Over time, the ECM will set your Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT) to the low octane tables.

The problem: It seems that if someone puts a low octane fuel into the tank, the vehicle can’t recover from the low octane table. Once in the low octane table the car will continue to use that information even if you are now using a higher octane fuel. Of course the side effect of this is sluggish performance, and we don’t really need to explain the benefits of running a higher octane fuel in a performance application. If you just purchased your Camaro you wouldn’t be incorrect in thinking that it isn’t uncommon that at some point the car was filled with a less potent gasoline, especially if it came from a used car dealership or from an owner who was uninformed of this problem and wanted to save a few bucks at the pump. The LTFT’s are, unfortunately, a part of the car’s non-volatile memory. That means the information is stored there, and doesn’t reset when the vehicle is turned off.

However, there is a way around this problem. Although the spark tables are part of the non-volatile memory and cannot be removed, they can be reset. A simple solution is to remove the fuses in the diagram above from the fuse block in the engine compartment. Pulling the fuses will allow your Camaro’s ECM to reset itself to the high octane table. If you are running high octane fuel then it remain in the high table until the ECM again detects a low octane fuel.

The process is quite simple:

First, make sure the car is empty of any low octane fuel. Run the tank down low and refuel with high octane. You might consider running a tank or two through before attempting the fuse pull. Once you have better gasoline in the system, locate the two fuses shown in the diagram. They are in the fuse box located on the passenger side of the vehicle’s engine bay. The fuses are in position #5 and #20. Remove each of these 15 amp fuses and allow the car to sit for a period of at least a few hours. There is a small, grey fuse pulling tool located on the fuse panel (In the diagram it would be in the lower right corner area). That should make the pulling of the fuses easier. If possible, remove the fuses and allow the car to sit overnight. Once they have been out for several hours, replace the fuses. When started, the car will attempt to use the high octane fuel trims first, and if you keep high octane fuel in the car it should remain on the higher table permanently. Of course, lowered octane fuel in the tank means repeating the process.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
Thank you Chase :-)
That is so clear and informative.

I use Ordinary unleaded – 95 RON in my V6 here in the UK.

I can fill with Super unleaded – 98 RON with no service tuning changes? and proceed as above?
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Looking good. Should take that sticker on the cover off. Nice emblem waiting for you.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
RichP

Thanks, I took it off this morning.

Drove the car for about two hours today and I'm really happy with this CAI mod...still can't get over how much better it sounds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGUNNER View Post
Looking good. Should take that sticker on the cover off. Nice emblem waiting for you.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Yep. Congrats. Your MPG should improve just a tad depending on how u drive her.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
1sikRS

Drives: chevy
Does this fuse pull work on tuned cars just wondering
1sikRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikRS View Post
Does this fuse pull work on tuned cars just wondering
Same here will it have any neg effects?

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
Color me impressed! Wasn't expecting such a noticeable difference even after reading about 100 threads about others' installs.

Love the "growl" intake sound when you get it on and was breaking the tires loose without even trying(L99).

Install was pretty painless but I just want to put some trim around that upper notch near the negative battery cable.

Should I do the fuse pull to reset the ECU?

Thanks for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.! Glad to hear how happy you are, it looks great!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai installation