Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #1
Myke783

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Wild Transmission Issues

Hey guys, long time member. Proud owner of a 2010 2SS/RS L99 80K miles.
Here lately i've been having quite a few crazy issues with my transmission ( I think).

From Start to Finish. Every time I first start and drive my car, I hear a grinding noise from 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd. After that it tends to not do it until I restart the Car.

I'm now starting to get random hiccups while accelerating from a stop. Also when turning, my car sounds like it downshifts to 1st, revs up really high, then after i let off the pedal, it'll go back to the proper gear. This even happens in M mode when it says I'm in 2nd.

This morning I accelerated from a stop, rolled my foot and then went to floor it. My car started violently jumping as if i was loosing traction, but I wasn't. It had to be the transmission.

I plan on taking it to the dealer and having them run test. Just wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts?? I've looked everywhere online for an answer, hoping it's not my transmission all together. Maybe the trans filter? torque converter? Any thoughts would be helpful, Thank you guys!
Myke783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:55 AM   #2
kingbow

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I have the same issue. 2010 2SS/RS L99 at 64k miles here.

I believe it may be the differential fluid and needing a change + the friction modifier and slip that GM recommends.

I'll be going to a dealer this week. Any changes on your end?
kingbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
HyperV117

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I think that's going to be my next thing on this car. My diff is pretty loud so having that changed should help. The odd part is that my car only has 22k miles so it's strange to me that it's already this noisy.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
kingbow

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperV117 View Post
I think that's going to be my next thing on this car. My diff is pretty loud so having that changed should help. The odd part is that my car only has 22k miles so it's strange to me that it's already this noisy.
Winter maybe?

Many people on here say they change it with their oil change.

The upfront cost to DIY doing it is about the same as taking it to a shop THE FIRST time. But afterwards, it looks to be a simple $25 per differential fluid change.

From what I get based on the differential fluid change thread, you need to have a few higher car jacks/stands and maybe one of those portable hydraulic ones. $75 total probably.

Then you need the right tool if you don't have it already. It looks to be easy to find/buy online or in stores. Maybe $20?

After that you need the differential fluid + friction modifier + limited slip which some use GM standard or Redline or Royal Purple. Total should be $25 approx from what I get it.

Last you will probably need a hand sucker/pump to fill the fluid in which is $15 on Amazon.

I'm away from home so I'll be getting it done in shop this time but I'll get the tools and do it with my pop from now on.
kingbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
flamandj
I love me some Chevy's!

Drives: 14 2SS/RS ,14 BMW X3 ,02LR Disco 2
[QUOTE=Myke783;8915561]Hey guys, long time member. Proud owner of a 2010 2SS/RS L99 80K miles.
Here lately i've been having quite a few crazy issues with my transmission ( I think).

From Start to Finish. Every time I first start and drive my car, I hear a grinding noise from 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd. After that it tends to not do it until I restart the Car.

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE SINCE NEW!!! AHHH no way I finally found somebody! Now it accelerates fine and shifts perfect after that... I only have 11K miles 2014 2SS/RS.

Please let me know or PM if the dealer tells you what it is!

Im so happy I found this thread today!