Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #71
conemark

Drives: Boost Coupe Stewie formerly '01 Z28
As a long time lurker/reader, I would like to share my thoughts on the potential four cylinder use.

Given the current and foreseeable energy supply demands and pricing, it is my very humble opinion that having the 260hp Ecotec as a potential motor can only be good for us Camaro fans. If the turbo four allows the mileage ratings to be affected in such a way as to even provide us with the ground pounding V8's we are so in love with, how can this be bad? Currently in my LS1 Z28, without too much effort, I can hit 27 MPG on a long highway run driving the car around the country to go racing. I can see with the nice long gearing the T56 six speed gearbox gives us how 30+ MPG on the highway could be attainable.

As an avid autocrosser, my interest with my 4th gen (and hopefully a 5th gen, wife permitting) lies with the handling aspects, I also look forward to the idea that the lighter Ecotec turbo will turn the already high handling potential of the 5th gen into something absolutely spectacular. Less motor weight on the nose of the car can do wonders for turn-in and understeer reduction.

Having run with some of the GMPD folks, as well as sentiment that I get from the insiders on this board, the desire to see our beloved Camaro succeed in it's fifth generation form is so high that I do not believe for one minute that if an Ecotec turbo powered fifth gen were offered, we would be disappointed.

Would the Ecotec appeal to the racers who love to run in a straight line? Probably not, but that's why the V8 is there. Would the Ecotec powered car appeal to more people as an everyday driver? I could definitely see that happening, especially in light of any potential fuel economy benefits. Heck, I could see having two fifth gen's; the V8 for those track days and the I4 to get to work during the week.

If there is one thing I have learned in reading the various forums regarding the fifth gen, "Have Faith" is more than a bunch of words. It is something that we have seen evolve into something we can truly believe.

Thank you for letting me share my two cents.
conemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #72
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Holy grammar batman! Nice post I think either a v6 or an I4 would be good options, performance parts would already be tested from the solstice/sky/new cobalt ss for the I4, and if they put the v6 in the Camaro it would force more companies to develop products for it which could sell to CTS owners as well (whose aftermarket seems very weak right now, besides all the bling of course)
Old 03-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #73
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by conemark View Post
As a long time lurker/reader, I would like to share my thoughts on the potential four cylinder use.

Given the current and foreseeable energy supply demands and pricing, it is my very humble opinion that having the 260hp Ecotec as a potential motor can only be good for us Camaro fans. If the turbo four allows the mileage ratings to be affected in such a way as to even provide us with the ground pounding V8's we are so in love with, how can this be bad? Currently in my LS1 Z28, without too much effort, I can hit 27 MPG on a long highway run driving the car around the country to go racing. I can see with the nice long gearing the T56 six speed gearbox gives us how 30+ MPG on the highway could be attainable.

As an avid autocrosser, my interest with my 4th gen (and hopefully a 5th gen, wife permitting) lies with the handling aspects, I also look forward to the idea that the lighter Ecotec turbo will turn the already high handling potential of the 5th gen into something absolutely spectacular. Less motor weight on the nose of the car can do wonders for turn-in and understeer reduction.

Having run with some of the GMPD folks, as well as sentiment that I get from the insiders on this board, the desire to see our beloved Camaro succeed in it's fifth generation form is so high that I do not believe for one minute that if an Ecotec turbo powered fifth gen were offered, we would be disappointed.

Would the Ecotec appeal to the racers who love to run in a straight line? Probably not, but that's why the V8 is there. Would the Ecotec powered car appeal to more people as an everyday driver? I could definitely see that happening, especially in light of any potential fuel economy benefits. Heck, I could see having two fifth gen's; the V8 for those track days and the I4 to get to work during the week.

If there is one thing I have learned in reading the various forums regarding the fifth gen, "Have Faith" is more than a bunch of words. It is something that we have seen evolve into something we can truly believe.

Speak on it brother!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #74
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:

Yep...pretty good post. Only two posts with being a member for well over a year?? Speak up more often!! Good grief!!!

Lighter engine up front = more nimble in the corners?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #75
Wikkid1

Drives: 2009 Saturn Outlook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Speaking of that Vid, Where's MaZda?

But in response to Wikkid, I quote the way I assume you feel as it's what stovt and I agree with. "Now if a 4 cylinder power plant allows us to keep our affordable V8s, then bring on the turbos!"

Amen my brother, praise the god of THUNDER

Chevy can make all the turbo charged, 4 banging, fart cans they want for the ladies, financially challenged and gas economists as long as I can get the beast!

Last edited by Wikkid1; 03-21-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: missing quote
Wikkid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #76
Wikkid1

Drives: 2009 Saturn Outlook
What is a ricer?

My dad always told me " son, opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one!"

A ricer to me is something that looks or sounds foreign.

I was raised on a steady diet of good old fashioned american muscle. The classics from the late 60's and early 70's. Those cars and those like them are steak and potatoes, everything else is fried rice!

Now....get this car made and line them stangs up for a good old fashion thumping
Wikkid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #77
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikkid1 View Post
What is a ricer?

My dad always told me " son, opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one!"

A ricer to me is something that looks or sounds foreign.

I was raised on a steady diet of good old fashioned american muscle. The classics from the late 60's and early 70's. Those cars and those like them are steak and potatoes, everything else is fried rice!

Now....get this car made and line them stangs up for a good old fashion thumping
Now that's a way to people fired-up

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #78
COPO_Chevy

Drives: 2015 Malibu 1LT; '87 Grand Prix LE
Send a message via MSN to COPO_Chevy
Quote:

here here
COPO_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #79
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
How much does the saab weigh? If its around the Camaro's weight, I say go for it if there is decent power and economy. Plus I was exaggerating a little with the 5K but its just to get a point across that it MIGHT not be as good as a V6.
Okay I'm not quite sure what you mean with your post here...I have a Saab 9-5 already, got it from my dad when he bought his Prius (oh how the mighty have fallen...he used to have American cars with V8s...) and it's okay for getting where you need to go, and definetly had some oomph in it when it was new, not to bad now after nearly ten years either. I rarely go that high on the revs in it, get all the power I need for driving I do with it with revving to up about 3 or 4k at most. As for weight it's about 4000 pounds, decent for a sedan. It's pretty okay priced here since Saab is one of our domestic brands, but it's ridicolously overpriced over in the states. About 35k or something I hear, so I'd go with the Camaro if I lived in the states (still will even though I don't, but you get what I mean).
Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #80
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Yeh four cylinders are lousy engines:

Quote:
Hinting toward a future where gas prices could exceed $4 per gallon, Kia talked about combining performance with a four-cylinder engine.

The "production-ready" Koup concept features a 2.0-liter, 290-horsepower turbocharged engine and sports-car looks -- a take-off for the plain-Jane brand.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...57/1148/AUTO01
Old 03-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #81
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
i dont think that its a matter of chillin'. its a matter that the whole camaro as a brand is doing. the mustang made a 4 cylinder motor as an option in the 80's. obviously it didnt work out for them. THIS IS A MUSCLE CAR. if you dont want to accept it as one dont,but it is concidered one. a 4 cylinder will be the death of the camaro FOREVE with no return. please gm do not mess this up and put a 4 cylinder turbo in it. yes i am buying the v8 version that doesnt mean i dont care about the cars other model. i may not ever buy the v6 but the 4 cylinder would be a disaster.
That doesn't make much sense. Its not like this will be the first time the Camaro has been offered with a 4 cylinder engine option. It was done in the early 80s with the 2.5.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #82
Sweeper

Drives: 2008 Suburban
Quote:

+1

I love the body style and just want to drive it back and forth to work. Please make a 4 cyl. turbo version!!
Sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:40 PM   #83
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I know I'm late to the fight here. I was in DC this week with little time to keep up.

Anyway... I'm thinking this is brilliant. The camaro is not an exclusive club. And we really want to stick it to Dorf for having been unchallenged for the last few years. Can you imagine the impact the camaro will have if we can add the Ricer crowd to the loyal followers of an american made muscle car?

Sure the bumble bee trapped in a coffee can exhaust will still bug the heck out of me and I will be more than a little offended when it's rattling my teeth at a stoplight next to me. But in all good fun, He'll be just as annoyed when I'm chirping 4th after bursting his eardrums with a red line burn out in my S/C V8 .

Bottom line, we'll be buying the same car and GM will be able to saturate the roads with all kinds of camaros. And the other two will be wondering what the F just happened.

I say do it. F'n brilliant

Can you imagine the look on a stang owners face when they are told they just go beat by a hopped up four banger.... Priceless, and it serves em right.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #84
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro (Sookie)
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Well, I'd like to wish you all a Happy Easter!!

First off, I'm going to relax this Easter weekend and enjoy the Ft. Lauderdale International Car Show. I'll be taking a look at Bumblebee and dream of my future ride. I'm glad I'm relaxing now in Miami for the weekend. I hope all is well. I pray to God that we get prices, specs, and HEADLIGHTS soon.

Just know, that if you want it bad enough, if you see it happening, you plan for it, you will have the Camaro of your dreams.

In fact, I challenge all of you to do something. (I've done this)

Step one: Take a Check out of your check book and make it out to GM/Chevrolet.

Step two: Right in the Memo line the exact Camaro you want (color, V6, V8, Z28, SS, etc.)

Step three: mark a reasonable date on the check. Some of us have March 09, some have later dates. (I have Nov 09 on mine).

Step four: Write the amount you want to pay and be realistic. (Trick to this is really going on fordvehicles.com and just loading up a stang like one of the members said. I got 33k out of a GT Premium with tons of options. The Camaro SS can't be more than 15%-20% more so that would b be about, 38k give or take. Base Camaro we all know will be 20k easy and V8, Z28's are 29K.

I think you will like this little exercise. I have my check in my planner. You guys can put yours in your wallet or callender or whatever.

Visualization. This is me and that's what I have to offer you gentlemen.

We have what we need. No be driven by what you want.