Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
francone13

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Intake Question

Ok now before everyone points me to the search button I have already read trough all the countless intake topics and read the jennety testing post and their dyno sheet but I still have a few questions.

Im looking for the best intake that will give me the most power of the line im really not to concerned about top end. Iv been looking between Airaid and Injen Short Intake. The airaid has better numbers jennety testing shows good tq and hp at low rpms but the temp is higher. Question is does the temp really matter if its still putting out good tq and hp? ....and injen short intake there is no independent tests out there so thats pushing me towards an airaid. What do you guys think? And no I dont want the injen long tube even tho i know its the best one.
francone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
I think the answer is that you should go with what you are comfortable with. Sounds to me like you should rock the Airaid V2.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
The IAT temp can become an issue in warmer days as the car will get heat soaked and pull timing. Of course, that can be offset with an IAT relocate, and don't forget to drill the hell out of you AirRaid box so it breathes right.

In short, I still wouldn't get the AirRaid, but that's just me. I'd grab the injen short ram and do my own testing.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
francone13

Yea id prefer the Injen but there is not much to gain in the low rpm range

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
The IAT temp can become an issue in warmer days as the car will get heat soaked and pull timing. Of course, that can be offset with an IAT relocate, and don't forget to drill the hell out of you AirRaid box so it breathes right.

In short, I still wouldn't get the AirRaid, but that's just me. I'd grab the injen short ram and do my own testing.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
I just bought the Injen short ram on Monday. I looked at the Airaid because the V2 did have some good numbers in that JRE comparison testing, but the heat sink problem seems like a real problem, especially here in sunny SoCal.

In the end I wasn't prepared to pay $60 more for a product that was going to need modification prior to install, all to gain an extra 3 HP/TQ. Bottom line: It wasn't worth the hassle. If they'd made a mod to their own airbox to address the problem, I probably would have bought an Airaid.

JRE testing showed better results than even the manufacturers were claiming in some cases, so it may be that the Injen short ram would have done well in those tests too. Too bad the short ram and Roto-fab didn't make the deadline.
John VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by francone13 View Post
Ok now before everyone points me to the search button I have already read trough all the countless intake topics and read the jennety testing post and their dyno sheet but I still have a few questions.

Im looking for the best intake that will give me the most power of the line im really not to concerned about top end. Iv been looking between Airaid and Injen Short Intake. The airaid has better numbers jennety testing shows good tq and hp at low rpms but the temp is higher. Question is does the temp really matter if its still putting out good tq and hp? ....and injen short intake there is no independent tests out there so thats pushing me towards an airaid. What do you guys think? And no I dont want the injen long tube even tho i know its the best one.
Sounds like you already made up your mind. No need to ask for our opinion.

There all good, just some are slightly better than others. Some are easier to install than others. Fianlly some look better than others.

Good Luck.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
francone13

How does the short ram feel off the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VS View Post
I just bought the Injen short ram on Monday. I looked at the Airaid because the V2 did have some good numbers in that JRE comparison testing, but the heat sink problem seems like a real problem, especially here in sunny SoCal.

In the end I wasn't prepared to pay $60 more for a product that was going to need modification prior to install, all to gain an extra 3 HP/TQ. Bottom line: It wasn't worth the hassle. If they'd made a mod to their own airbox to address the problem, I probably would have bought an Airaid.

JRE testing showed better results than even the manufacturers were claiming in some cases, so it may be that the Injen short ram would have done well in those tests too. Too bad the short ram and Roto-fab didn't make the deadline.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VS View Post

Some of us did the Airaid box mod and it did cool down the tube, more torquey and responsive also.I did a heat sheild also and it took the temps down with the added air holes. Of course I did it as I aready had the unit, but if I bought again I like the looks of the Roto Fab.Power on all of these is going to be about the same anyway. A note also if going Airaid make sure it seals to the hood. I raised mine up in the corner near the engine to to this, just to be sure and seems to have helped a bit. Doing this also raised the tube up off the radiator more, Might help with heat a bit.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbee View Post
Some of us did the Airaid box mod and it did cool down the tube, more torquey and responsive also.I did a heat sheild also and it took the temps down with the added air holes. Of course I did it as I aready had the unit, but if I bought again I like the looks of the Roto Fab.Power on all of these is going to be about the same anyway. A note also if going Airaid make sure it seals to the hood. I raised mine up in the corner near the engine to to this, just to be sure and seems to have helped a bit. Doing this also raised the tube up off the radiator more, Might help with heat a bit.
What material did you use to make a heat shield? Also, how did you raise it up on the corner? That is so good thinking to utilize to reduce the heat!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
So complicated

I read so many comments that it's just impossible to get the very outsanting Air Intake System.

So today I order a G5CR kit, affordable and it looks nice. No very negative comments on them.

2010 Camaro V-6 High Flow Cold Air Intake Kit

I think we have the same car....
So get some Splash Guards ASAP

Name:  2ltrs1full.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  168.3 KB
montreal2010yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal2010yellow View Post
I read so many comments that it's just impossible to get the very outsanting Air Intake System.

So today I order a G5CR kit, affordable and it looks nice. No very negative comments on them.

2010 Camaro V-6 High Flow Cold Air Intake Kit

I think we have the same car....
So get some Splash Guards ASAP

Attachment 196707

According to one of our KING V6er's (SCRMING) that is the last intake one should buy. Sorry to have to tell you this but with all the great write-ups on the others that are listed on this forum there is a reason you don't see any write-ups on that one.

As for a good price I was able to get my INJEN delivered to the house for $273. including the Hydro-shield.

one of the threads of why one should pass on this intake: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...highlight=g5cr

Last edited by rtcat600man; 01-06-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added thread
rtcat600man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Nothing more pleasing than the in-rush of cooler air that the Injen long tube provides, JMO.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
Nothing more pleasing than the in-rush of cooler air that the Injen long tube provides, JMO.

+1

Has anyone done an IAT relocation with the long tube injen yet?
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal2010yellow View Post

Based on my own research and a few things I've seen both on this site and YouTube, the G5CR kit is not a quality piece. There's very little hard data on the performance benefits and at least one person complained that the intake became very hot at idle.

In addition, someone who appeared to be a representative from MMR/G5CR flamed the heck out of a guy who complained about heatsoak on his YouTube video comments. It all just seemed very unprofessional and steered me away from the product despite the fact that, according to the website, their offices are literally 15 minutes away from where I live.

In all videos and pictures of the G5CR intake for the V6, the filter sits inside the engine bay right next to the engine, just above the driver's side header, and rests on the strut tower. It doesn't have any mounting hardware to hold it in place and the entire thing has so much play in it that it appears to flop around loosely when jarred. The location of the filter is probably the least favorable to IAT than any other intake and it doesn't have any type of heat shielding despite being so close to the engine and above a component that generates a great deal of heat. If you have any type of aftermarket headers where the heat shielding above the stock headers is removed, that would only exacerbate the problem.

EDIT:

I personally went with the Injen Powerflow (long tube) in polished aluminum. I don't care much about the higher installation difficulty and concerns over hydrolock seem very exaggerated (not that anyone has mentioned it in this thread). I drove 3 hours in driving rain and even drove through foot+ deep flooded intersections and not had a problem, even without the hydroshield.

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote