Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
:subscribed:
Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
islander033
SLOBRA1

Drives: GT500/Cruze/DMax/Cobra
Different dynos on different days will produce different numbers. This is why they are more of a tuning device than anything else.

With that being said, the numbers that they produce make for good conversations.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #17
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaPowered View Post
Stick, it says in the description. They had to eliminate the skip shift, which only happens in the manual.
Do what skip shift still
factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
Meister@Torq

Drives: 2001 Crown Vic
Send a message via AIM to Meister@Torq Send a message via MSN to Meister@Torq
To confirm, this was a stick shift car and really only made a bit less than expected. I am sure on a glory run with good IAT's and temps below 85 in the shop we could have seen 490+. We do not focus so much on the numbers but rather the gains and that is why we baseline EVERY SINGLE car we bring into our facility. Dyno's are different and so many factors come into play. We have been working on factory supercharged vehicles since 2003 with the Ford's and even with the CTS-V's we have seen +/- 15+RWHP. Heck, even the SS models we saw 10RWHP differences.

We appreciate all the feedback and emails we have received since our testing.

We gathered a TON of data that we will use for in-house development of tunes and performance parts/packages.
Meister@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquash1984 View Post
Do what skip shift still
This. If you're paying gas guzzler tax already, why keep the skip shift?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #20
Meister@Torq

Quote:
Do what skip shift still
This can be left enabled if the customer wants; however since the Camaro came out we have tuned over 250 of them and not one has requested to keep it. If this is what someone would like, we can make it happen
Old 04-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #21
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister@Torq View Post
To confirm, this was a stick shift car and really only made a bit less than expected. I am sure on a glory run with good IAT's and temps below 85 in the shop we could have seen 490+. We do not focus so much on the numbers but rather the gains and that is why we baseline EVERY SINGLE car we bring into our facility. Dyno's are different and so many factors come into play. We have been working on factory supercharged vehicles since 2003 with the Ford's and even with the CTS-V's we have seen +/- 15+RWHP. Heck, even the SS models we saw 10RWHP differences.

We appreciate all the feedback and emails we have received since our testing.

We gathered a TON of data that we will use for in-house development of tunes and performance parts/packages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
This. If you're paying gas guzzler tax already, why keep the skip shift?
Do you want to pay a higher gas guzzler tax?
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #22
actireman

Drives: 2011 denali hd2500
I have a Mustang MD250 chassis dyno and we will dyno my car next week. I have been waiting to get some miles on my car first. It looks to me like he has a Mustang dyno also. The eddy current dynos always give lower numbers than the dynojets, thats why you see the difference in numbers. But in the same token they are more accurate and better for tuning and I agree with him. I am very impressed by those numbers on a Mustang dyno. I hope my car will have the same. We will know soon enough.
actireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #23
Frankzl1

Drives: 2012 Ashen ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister@Torq View Post
Let me first thank our customer Alex for bringing his beautiful black, carbon ZL1 to the shop yesterday to help us test fit a prototype cold air intake for one of the big intake manufacturers. Alex really wanted to see what his car would lay down stock so we invited him back today to make a couple of pulls and to see if we could persuade him into a calibration session.....and we were successful in doing such

Initial Impressions
Everyone at the shop was impressed with the build quality and the styling of the veicle. The car is very well built and we were excited to have the opportunity to work on a customers ZL1 so fast.

Stock Calibration/Dyno Results/Thoughs
Air-Fuel was measured with our Lab Grade ECM AFM-1000 Wide Band/Lambda Meter. Datalogging was preformed with EFI Live

The stock calibration is VERY aggressive so I knew I was in for a battle with this beast trying to make any more power. Compared to the CTS-V's we have tested, the air-fuel was found it to be leaner and final total timing is advanced compared to the V's. I am sure if the car was ice cold we could have made 480-485 but that is not what we were trying to accomplish.

In stock trim the car made 476/485 with a lambda of .79 until 4500 and about .74 above 4500 to redline (11.55-10.88 AFR based on GM's cal) with reported spark knock during our datalogs in various rpm zones.

Intake Air Temperatures are CRAZY with this car. It was 85* in the shop today and we were getting reported IAT 2's at the end of the runs near 145 and the start of the run reported IAT 2's were approx. 117. This is a rise of roughly 28* F, which is crazy.

We have dyno'ed CTS-V's and Supercharged SS's with reported temperatures much lower and the rise far less so we know there are a ton of improvements to be made with the car....and don't worry we have a couple great products in the pipeline we are testing next week and are already in stock ready to ship!!

We verified both the factory MAF calibration and VE calibration and found both to be off slightly.....which is expected from a mass produced factory calibration

Torq Calibration Process
Like most, we made our standard changes such as turning off the CAGS (Skip Shift), changes to the fan settings and started our calibration process. We dialed in both the MAF and VE surfaces to dial in fueling and starting working on our spark calibration.

Like all of our calibrations, we spend a ton of timing improving the overall feel and performance outside of WOT. This is where most of us/customers spend time so why shouldn't we spend most of our time calibrating these conditions. Surprisingly we found many areas where we could make improvements outside of WOT to help increase the performance/feel of the car.

We already knew what improvements could be made based on our initial logs of the factory calibration so we flashed the car and made changes. As I expected, we picked up some great torque and hp down low and on the hit and continued making runs to dial in spark and fuel to our liking. We picked up some good HP/TQ throughout the run but nothing mind blowing...again, what we expected from this car.

Results
Stock Results: 476rwhp/485rwtq
Tuned Results: 490rwhp/501rwtq

Highest gains are 34rwtq and 14rwhp. The big torque increase down low on the hit really wakes this car up. 14rwhp and 16rwtq peak gains. Took a ton of time and focus to pickup power. The around town gains, roll on throttle increases are really nice!

Stay tuned for our video!!!

Stage 2
The customer decided he wanted more power so we are installing the following:

2.55 Upper
10% OD Lower
Torq Hand Ported Snout
Aftermarket Airbox (pics and brand to be disclosed shortly)
Some other really cool pieces we have designed for this car with the help of CAD data provided through the SEMA Tech Transfer program

Nice job guys!!!!
Frankzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #24
Meister@Torq

Quote:
Originally Posted by actireman View Post
I have a Mustang MD250 chassis dyno and we will dyno my car next week. I have been waiting to get some miles on my car first. It looks to me like he has a Mustang dyno also. The eddy current dynos always give lower numbers than the dynojets, thats why you see the difference in numbers. But in the same token they are more accurate and better for tuning and I agree with him. I am very impressed by those numbers on a Mustang dyno. I hope my car will have the same. We will know soon enough.
Yes. We have a MD1100SE. The lower numbers were also related due to the excessive IAT's. The S/C cooling system on this car is terrible
Old 04-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #25
HondaPowered

Drives: '09 Honda Civic LX
Quote:
Do what skip shift still
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you are trying to convey or ask in this sentence^^

Dream camaro is either a 1/2SS with RS, black with red stripes, or red with white stripes.

No rice with my order.
HondaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #26
zero

Drives: Black 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander033 View Post
Different dynos on different days will produce different numbers. This is why they are more of a tuning device than anything else.

With that being said, the numbers that they produce make for good conversations.
for sure, people think they got a factory freak ringer regardless of the brand if it dynos 15-20 higher than normal. I seen cars who dyno 20 hp less that are faster than the so called ringer

Lots of drama and emotions over dyno numbers for sure..
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #27
capnkirk52
Banned

Drives: 10 GT500, Raptor
Are you gonna take it to the track for some stock runs before you start slapping the bolt-ons on? Please say you will.
capnkirk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #28
blackcam2ss

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #659
Great job Erik and Paul !!
blackcam2ss is offline   Reply With Quote