Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #29
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
The mailslot is a cosmetic way to quickly ID the V8 to the general public....I'm not wild about it, but I do get why they do things like that.

I'm not sure on the total weights, but you can bet it's more. Keep in mind that GM engineered all the support systems ( cooling, braking, suspension geometry, ride height, alignment, spring rate, shocks, etc, etc ) around the V6 platform. To truly do it right, now you have to swap over all those parts plus the ecm, electronics and harnesses. This is why it just doesn't make sense....it's way cheaper to just trade up to the V8.
Brother I see where you're coming from on a lot of these issues and we're a lot closer than you think. The big problem isn't as much suspension, brakes, springs, shocks, etc in this swap. They aren't that hard to upgrade, and most could be done over time. The big problem is the electronics, I believe. The computerized systems control everything from the air bags to the stabilitrak to the abs, to everything. Our v6 computer isn't set up to run the v8.. Unless you're planning on swapping a non-computerized motor in, doing away with everything computer controlled, and gutting it(can we say body in white?) I don't see this as a money-smart project either, unless you run her 'til she dumps and then do with her as you please.

And I know they did the mailslot nose likely for ease of recognition, as if the SS badges aren't a give-away.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #30
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post

And I know they did the mailslot nose likely for ease of recognition, as if the SS badges aren't a give-away.
Or the brake calipers.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:34 AM   #31
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
I just wish the mail slot served some sort of operational function. Then it would be cool.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #32
MikeL

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
I just wish the mail slot served some sort of operational function. Then it would be cool.
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #33
CRChevy
MARO MAN

Drives: Orange 2010 Camaro 2RS
The se challengers have 5.7 and 6.1 kits reasonably priced
Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #34
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post
Funny...we all said the same thing last night and our posts were deleted and you called my car slow. What changed?
Maybe you got faster. Put any new stickers on? Electric supercharger(you'll need 2 to get the most power)? Leaf-blowers? Travel downhill? Take the parking brake off?
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #35
TankMorph
More Human Than Human

Drives: 2011 1LT IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRChevy View Post
The se challengers have 5.7 and 6.1 kits reasonably priced
Mostly because that SE with the 3.6L V6 can't get out of it's own way.
TankMorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #36
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
So let me get this straight, would it make sensce to add a crate engine and not add all the electrical components? I mean really do we need all those gadgets???
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote