Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 10-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #76
songsj

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:
The first thing I would want to make sure everyone understands is that this is not a GM design flaw. It is just the nature of internal combustion engines. All modern engines, regardless of manufacturer, suffer from blow by and some amount of carbon build up and have upper induction cleanings in their recommended services. Direct injection engines are just especially vulnerable, regardless of the manufacturer, because they do not have fuel flowing over the intake valves. The European manufacturers where the first to really start seeing issues because they were right up front on adopting direct injection technology. Now just about every new engine that comes out is direct injection including the new LT based V8s from GM because the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

At 8k miles you have nothing to worry about. If you were to go completely unprotected and did not do the recommended upper induction cleanings by 80k miles you could see serious issues. I know of 2 Camaro5 members that had to have top end rebuilds around that range due to carbon build up. Both are running our catch can now.
If the catch can is that important it should have been standard equipment on the cars. My owners manual does not mention upper induction cleaning as regular maintenance. In fact I don't think they mention it at all. You are right cars have been blowing by since the invention of the internal combustion engine. Many of those engines went 200k plus miles with no upper induction cleaning because they were not DI. As I tried to state I am not debating the benefit of clean intakes and valves. I'm only questioning GM and other manufacturers decision to go with this design with out a standard catch can and maintenance schedule to accompany it. Seems reasonable if it is that important. If these horror stories are true there are going to be a lot of 2nd and 3rd owners of these cars in the future who will have problems that could/should have been avoided. Of course this is all just my opinion. And I'm sorry, if a buyer is expected to run out and buy an aftermarket modification to keep his new car running within specs, I call that a design problem or flaw.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #77
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
If the catch can is that important it should have been standard equipment on the cars. My owners manual does not mention upper induction cleaning as regular maintenance. In fact I don't think they mention it at all. You are right cars have been blowing by since the invention of the internal combustion engine. Many of those engines went 200k plus miles with no upper induction cleaning because they were not DI. As I tried to state I am not debating the benefit of clean intakes and valves. I'm only questioning GM and other manufacturers decision to go with this design with out a standard catch can and maintenance schedule to accompany it. Seems reasonable if it is that important. If these horror stories are true there are going to be a lot of 2nd and 3rd owners of these cars in the future who will have problems that could/should have been avoided. Of course this is all just my opinion. And I'm sorry, if a buyer is expected to run out and buy an aftermarket modification to keep his new car running within specs, I call that a design problem or flaw.
Fair enough.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #78
SSNvMiner

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99 6A
Smile

Hey All...
Finally took delivery of our 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS yesterday ... Had windows tinted before we picked er up.. Total of 18 miles on her before I drove it off the delivery bay and loaded her up on a trailer for the 200mi ride home. I didn't want break it in without a catch can. So this morning I installed an Apex Catch Can that has been sitting on our dinning room table for a couple weeks Easy-peezy install... litterly a piece of cake. After a few pulls today up the only incline around... we're sittin at 87mi. Gonna do it again in the the morning. Then a CAI and CatBack exhaust in the near furture. Not too sure if I'm going with a Solo J-pipe or SW retro-chamber.

Thanks Apex... Great product.. the only bi--h was pushing the hoses on the can.. . . but then again... I didn't eat my Wheaties.
Take care all. . .
SSNvMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #79
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNvMiner View Post
Hey All...
Finally took delivery of our 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS yesterday ... Had windows tinted before we picked er up.. Total of 18 miles on her before I drove it off the delivery bay and loaded her up on a trailer for the 200mi ride home. I didn't want break it in without a catch can. So this morning I installed an Apex Catch Can that has been sitting on our dinning room table for a couple weeks Easy-peezy install... litterly a piece of cake. After a few pulls today up the only incline around... we're sittin at 87mi. Gonna do it again in the the morning. Then a CAI and CatBack exhaust in the near furture. Not too sure if I'm going with a Solo J-pipe or SW retro-chamber.

Thanks Apex... Great product.. the only bi--h was pushing the hoses on the can.. . . but then again... I didn't eat my Wheaties.
Take care all. . .
Congrats on the new ride! Thank you for your order and the post.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:54 AM   #80
DP Valentino

Drives: 2010 CGM Chevrolet Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
This is what my LLT Intake Manifold looked like after 500 miles from the last time I cleaned it when I didn't have a catch can. I have dual catch cans because I have a supercharger, but this oil was lowering my octane rating causing knock retard.

That's what my intake manifold looked like after my Elite Engineering Catch Can. It does help! I also cleaned my intake manifold off after seeing that oil residue. So even with the Catch Can install. It does help to take off your Plenum Cover and cleaning off the oil residue every few thousands of miles. But without out the Catch Can you would need a SPONGE to clean off the oil residue instead of a shop towel!
DP Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #81
Apex Motorsports

2013 ZL1 owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthZL1 View Post
My catch-can was 3/4 full when I checked it today. I've put around 2,500 miles on it since the last time I emptied it. This crap would've been blown all through my intake manifold.

Tags
apex catch can, apex motorsports, catch can