Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Agostino13

Drives: 2010 Red 2SS/RS
Found a problem with my camaro

Ok so i am training for my new part time job doing motor vehicle inspections. We are using our own cars to inspect over and over as practice. But i have found 2 problems.

1. At NJ inspection stations they use a lift that is about 18inch by 36 inch this lifts the car from the frame in multiple areas under the engine. but the camaro has these 2 curving bars one on each side i believe they r sway bars that r in the way so if u lift the vehicle u r not lifting by the frame instead only by the sway bars not sure if thats safe my instructor says its ok but i dont know if i trust it and was wondering if anybody knew anything about that.

2. The problem is that part of the inspection you check the front wheels for looseness. When you position your hands at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions with the wheels lifted off the ground and try to shake the wheel it should not shake mine shakes quite a bit my instructor says that it would "barely pass inspections for a brand new vehicle that's a problem" and i should take it to the dealer asap

Does anybody else have this problem or is it just me?
Agostino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Taz_FL

Drives: 1LT/RS Yellow/Black
Well, as far as the 1st part of your question, your "instructor" is full of shit if he's telling you it's ok to lift your car by the sway bars. the only way your car should be lifted into the air is by the frame in my opinon, PLEASE, if I'm wrong someone feel free to correct me.
As far as the wheel movement I'm not sure, I wouldn't think you should be able to "shake" it that much. Normaly I would think that would indicate worn parts but I'm no mechanic so I'm not sure.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
Well I've never seen or heard of the type of lift you're describing. All the lifts I've seen either lift the wheels(drive-on) or from the sides on the pinch welds or frame. So I don't think that's a real common issue people would be running in to.

As for the "looseness", are you actually getting play like a bad tie rod, or just from the steering rack moving side to side? It a ball joint/tie rod/wheel bearing where bad, you would get a noticeable play that would kind of click as the joint hits the limits of it's play. I highly doubt your car if anywhere near failing.

edit - You should not lift by a weak point like the sway bar. If anything, put blocks of wood on the lift so it lifts by the sub-frame. And you will alway get side to side movement from the steering rack.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
JB @ C and L Machine

Drives: Ordered 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agostino13 View Post
Ok so i am training for my new part time job doing motor vehicle inspections. We are using our own cars to inspect over and over as practice. But i have found 2 problems.

1. At NJ inspection stations they use a lift that is about 18inch by 36 inch this lifts the car from the frame in multiple areas under the engine. but the camaro has these 2 curving bars one on each side i believe they r sway bars that r in the way so if u lift the vehicle u r not lifting by the frame instead only by the sway bars not sure if thats safe my instructor says its ok but i dont know if i trust it and was wondering if anybody knew anything about that.

2. The problem is that part of the inspection you check the front wheels for looseness. When you position your hands at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions with the wheels lifted off the ground and try to shake the wheel it should not shake mine shakes quite a bit my instructor says that it would "barely pass inspections for a brand new vehicle that's a problem" and i should take it to the dealer asap

Does anybody else have this problem or is it just me?

Please advise me the inspection station so I can STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!
JB @ C and L Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
glad we don't have to go through that crap where i live any more.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
You lift the car at the lift points... Sounds like you have a drive on lift that has the mid lifts that slide between the two main rails that the car drives on. If thats the case, lift the car by the A-arms, or something that is strong, NOT the swaybar!

As for the instructor.... THIS is the kind of people the State employs to teach and perform state inspections... WOW!!!
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Agostino13

I dont trust lifting it by the sway bars thats why i did not do it again. they do have a set of blocks you r suppose to use if anything is in the way but the blocks are not high enough by about 1/2 an inch and i did not have anything else to jam in between. also i did not know they were not high enough untill after the car was lifted.

I will try to get a picture of this lift

As for the wheel check u do a 1 oclock/ 7 oclock check to make sure the tie rods arent bad but the 3 oclock 9 oclock position is to check for looseness whatever that means like i said im new at this i am in training i did what he said and the wheel was loose so i asked him to check it and he told me that is bad for a new car bring it to the dealer
Old 04-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
cam5
War Eagle

Drives: 2010 2ss cyber gray
one thats crazy.. my gf is from new jersey and i knew they had inspections up there but for them to say a new camaro which passes 2012 safety ratings barely passes road inspection then hes nuts.. thank god for alabama. no inpections.. no problems.
cam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Agostino13

its not that the car doesnt pass its just that the wheels should have almost no movement and mine have quite a bit of movement
Old 04-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
Agostino13

I cannot find a picture but i will try to explain how this lift works.

there are two grooves in the floor in which u place the front tires in.
between these 2 grooves there is a piece of wood with a rubber layer on top that lays flat on the ground the peice of wood is approximately 18 by 36 the entire peice of wood lifts up out of the ground to raise the vehicle u do not position it on the frame it will automatically catch the bottom frame as long as there is nothing in the way.

so in other words a rectangular piece of wood lifts out of the ground lifting the vehicles front end into the air

this peice of wood is very wide which is why it catches the sway bars if it was about 6 inches shorter it would not be a problem Also the blocks they have in case of a situation like this do not work on the camaro cause they are not tall enough.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
cam5
War Eagle

well im sure the camaro isnt the only car this problem occurs with.. id see if another inspection joint has a diff setup...
Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
Agostino13

All the inspection stations in nj have the same equipment unless you go to a private facility
Old 04-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
cam5
War Eagle

hm.. u know what i love about jersey.. gas stations.. they pump the gas for u up there.. thats awesome.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #14
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Was your steering wheel locked? In that test you're checking the wheel bearings and steering components but if the wheel is free spinning the test is moot.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote