Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-16-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
Independent Rear Suspension a Problem?

Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. Just wanted to say I love the new Camaro and hope it's everything it can be. I am here almost every day, looking for snippets of info to hold me over till 2009.

Anyway, the other day it was posted here that the new Camaro would feature independent suspension and it made me remember a lot of issues that some friends of mine who own Cobras have....wheel hop. Granted, these guys are running some serious horsepower, but the Camaro will have 450HP and 600+HP. Won't the wheel hop be a major problem? Wouldn't it be wiser to stick with a solid rear axle design?

Discuss!
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warghost View Post
Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. Just wanted to say I love the new Camaro and hope it's everything it can be. I am here almost every day, looking for snippets of info to hold me over till 2009.

Anyway, the other day it was posted here that the new Camaro would feature independent suspension and it made me remember a lot of issues that some friends of mine who own Cobras have....wheel hop. Granted, these guys are running some serious horsepower, but the Camaro will have 450HP and 600+HP. Won't the wheel hop be a major problem? Wouldn't it be wiser to stick with a solid rear axle design?

Discuss!
Welcome to the site!

I think it could go one of two ways: Think the GTO and Corvette. Tje GTOs IRS was not very refined and is notorious for wheel hop as well. However, the Corvette's IRS is much more refined and has worked well for years. I believe with the Zeta architecture being GMs backbone for the next few years that they will put a great deal of time into the IRS and deliver a quality product.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:53 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Welcome to the site as well.

Casull makes an excellent point. I don't know recall who it was here, but they had asked what was the first major thing owners did with GTO's...it was to buy and install stronger components for the IRS to minimize the wheelhop. In other words, there are parts out there that can be used to solve the problem. Like Casull said...look at the Vette. GM has the ability to install a strong enough IRS that can handle the power and minimize the wheelhop. The main question, is will they have enough "beans" to do it in the Camaro. If not, I'll have to go back and change my "what will be your first mod" post...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
MattD

Drives: 05 Ford Mustang GT
I'm with TAG UR IT on this one. It seems like our beloved Camaros have been plagued by a weak rear end since the early 80's. I really don't see this one being any different, especially since it's gonna be IRS.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I have a lot of faith in ZETA. If you want a real-life answer, go and research the Holden Commodore: it rides on almost the exact chassis the Camaro will have...
Old 04-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
Thanks for the welcomes and info.

I should probably have more faith in the IRS of this vehicle, since the Zeta platform will be so widely used. I'm sure they put a lot of thought into the engineering of the design, so there probably is nothing to worry about.

But, as it was also mentioned, it's good to know that there are some aftermarket products available to correct any issues that arise.

Thanks again!
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
If wheelhop is bad, which I don't think it will be, aftermarket companies will rush to get parts out the door to correct the problem. I'm sure GM won't let this be a problem.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:23 PM   #8
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
The 99-04 Cobra IRS was back-engineered to fit the existing mounting points of a decades-old chassis that was designed without the first thought of an independent rear suspension in mind. You will not find a worse example of how an IRS behaves under high-power conditions.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
The 99-04 Cobra IRS was back-engineered to fit the existing mounting points of a decades-old chassis that was designed without the first thought of an independent rear suspension in mind. You will not find a worse example of how an IRS behaves under high-power conditions.
you've got to be kidding......hey it's Ford, what can you expect?just kidding, I love all of the Big three, I just love the General the most...
Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Welcome Warghost

My thoughts concerning an IRS in the 5th Gen. are this.

The majority will most likely spend most of their time driving their Camaro under "normal" conditions. For those who do take it to the track, I'm certain there will be aftermarket company offerings for those serious about racing their cars.

Also, with all the time and money invested by GM in the development of the new Camaro, as well as how important this car will be to GM and it's well being, I'm confident the IRS in the new Camaro will fulfill our needs just fine.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Right, there's just too much riding on the Zeta Chassis...
(yeah, stupid pun indended)
Old 05-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

IRS...So What?!?!

Lately I've been hearing a lot about the Camaro's IRS, or Independent Rear Suspention. Mostly it's been a negative vibe that's being given off. Now I know that it's kind of an unprecedented thing, and I'm no engineer, but what's the big deal? Why are so many people reacting badly to this aspect of the car.
I see Corvette - which pulls IRS off beautifully, and I look forward to an IRS Camaro...so what gives?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
gurulu68

Drives: 68 camaro rs
has anybody drag raced a late modle corvette at a quarter mile track lately? Has anyone spoken to those owners and asked them how they handle? I'm curious, I haven't raced anyone in a long time. I don't want to reck my car.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #14
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
You know, I almost made this thread, but I felt too noobish already with my thread-whoring so I held back. I'm glad you did for me.

Anyway, I find it a bit silly personally. If you wiegh the benefits of solid-axle with IRS, one will be clearly superior, and it won't be the axle. In ONE aspect of things, the axle will be EASIER to make better, and that's only hooking off the line. In all other aspects (weight, ride, handling, etc) the IRS is far superior. An IRS can be made to hook just fine. It won't lift the nose off the ground more than a couple times (or once for that matter) before CV joints start to break, but if you're building a purely track car that is even putting that much to the ground, then you're going to probably put an aftermarket axle in anyway.

I really like the idea that it will have IRS...if only they would go with a transaxle set-up (C5/C6 transmissions on the rear axle vice the flywheel) then this car would be able to handle like a monster....then again, this isn't the legacy of the Camaro, per se.

Just my humble opinion.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote