Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #239
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Very cool read. Thanks for sharing. This is as close as some of us will ever get to ultra-grin status. I could barely afford my V6 when I bought it. Maybe someday I'll get someone to give me a ride in a ZL1!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #240
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
Well, I do not have my car yet. My order is sitting at event status code 3000 and has been since 1/31. Hope to see some movement very soon.

I am truly fortunate to be in a position to be able to order one of these cars and I was able to substantiate that this evening. C5's one and only Becky D is truly a very special lady and I am glad to have her as a friend. Miss Becky graced me with her keys this evening and allowed me to take a "supervised" drive in her ZL1.

First impressions = WOW, HOLY COW, UNREAL. This car is very fast and just feels perfect. It is worth the wait people. It feels faster than 580hp to me. I'm coming out of a 560hp 2011 SS and this thing is way stronger. I still have a 4 to 6 week wait but it just got a little easier thanks to my good friend...

I'm actually starting to get scared of how powerful this car is. Not kidding. Cold tires are really bad news - it has to be treated like you're walking on ice or you might lose it. You can't really accelerate very strong until you're in third, unless you like to go sideways. Be careful not too accelerate too much even in third gear when you turn - it will go from under you. I have a manual - I believe it gives you the true feeling of a sports car. I can't wait for warmer weather = warm tires.
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #241
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
I'm actually starting to get scared of how powerful this car is. Not kidding. Cold tires are really bad news - it has to be treated like you're walking on ice or you might lose it. You can't really accelerate very strong until you're in third, unless you like to go sideways. Be careful not too accelerate too much even in third gear when you turn - it will go from under you. I have a manual - I believe it gives you the true feeling of a sports car. I can't wait for warmer weather = warm tires.
I recommend warming up the tires with several miles of driving before you really go at it. It was 40° that day at VIR - but we had done two warm-up laps...cars were brilliant.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #242
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.R View Post
No joke here. To any of our "younger" members here getting a ZL1, please be careful and respect the power of this car. It is a serious machine.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #243
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
No joke here. To any of our "younger" members here getting a ZL1, please be careful and respect the power of this car. It is a serious machine.
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #244
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
+1 My GTO, Trans Ams, Cutlass's etc could stepthe rear end sidewise, with 175 less HP. Still I cant wait lol.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:03 AM   #245
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
Congrats!!
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #246
bangeman71
bangeman71

Drives: 04 chevy pickup 2012 zl1 camaro
wow very cool i was about to turn in a pic of a zl1 to mythbusters and have them investagate
bangeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #247
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Sounds like the ZL1 can't put the power down to the ground.... HMMMM wasn't it said that was the problem with the GT500 and the ZL1 was going to put it down with the IRS?

J/K all BS aside, the Goodyear F1 G2 tires suck.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #248
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black GT View Post
Sounds like the ZL1 can't put the power down to the ground.... HMMMM wasn't it said that was the problem with the GT500 and the ZL1 was going to put it down with the IRS?

J/K all BS aside, the Goodyear F1 G2 tires suck.

Are you just here to criticize...or maybe you have some helpful input.
Have you had the opportunity to look at ones tail lights yet......if
not i'll bet you soon will...Lol
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #249
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
I'm sure it's a fair comment based on the attitude of some on here that the ZL1 was going to be immune to traction problems,etc. Glad everybody is finally getting delivery. Sounds like its an amazing ride indeed.
Becky sounds like a true enthusiast. Camaro community is lucky to have her.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #250
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post

Helpful input would be Nitto 555R's for street use, regular street tires don't cut it on a 500+ hp car.

And I doubt I'll be looking at their tail lights anytime soon.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #251
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
So if you're patient enough to wait for the tires towarm up, at least you won't lose traction in third.... If you go about 2000 rpm and accelerate strongly to 4000rpm in second gear, you will lose traction for about 2-3 seconds. It is extremely powerful. I love it. Remember, this is in mode 2, going below 4000rpm. I can't imagine what it does in mode 5 at full throttle.

I am impressed with how good the ride is in a car like this. It absorbs the road imperfections pretty good and once the tires are warmer(it's still in the 50's here), it glues to the road very well. You can easily drive it with one hand which is great. It inspiresalotof confidence . You just need to be patient and learn more about its character before you push it.
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #252
zero

Drives: Black 2SS/RS LS3
I guess it is true the delay was that they flashed a new tune to make it more GT500 like so people won`t be complaining it doesn`t feel fast enough
congrats Mr.R
zero is offline   Reply With Quote