Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Dowgg123

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
At a bit of a Dilemma...

Hello Everyone,

Ok, so I will be purchasing a Camaro sometime this year, but when is unsure. I have been drooling over the 5th Gen Camaro since the concept was released and have planned on getting one since. I will be in the market for a 2010 anywhere from the end of March to the end of May (Work starts back in early April) At that time, I should have enough for a down payment/trade in on at LEAST at 2LT, possibly a 2SS depending on what I am willing to pay monthly (I am 16 and work a Seasonal job April-end of October...Dad pays off season).

My dilemma then comes in to play. Since it will be around May when I purchase the Camaro, I am at a loss on whether or not I should go ahead and order a 2011 Coupe (If that will be possible. Is it?) If it's possible and the price is about the same as a 2010, I am wondering if I should go ahead and order the 2011 and expect it sometime in September. I don't really want to wait this long if the 2011 Coupe isn't going to have many, if any changes.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought about the situation and what you would do.

Thanks
Dowgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Dowgg123

Bump for your 2 Cents?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Nobody knows for sure what the 2011 will bring. There will for sure be some additions/changes. Don't look for anything earth shattering however. I personally would go for the 2010. It is the model year that brought Camaro and Chevrolet back. The 1st
Edition. The car is flat out kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Dowgg123

Yea I love the car! Plus, if I just wait til around August or September anyway, I'm sure I can get a better deal on some existing 2010s on the lot and definintely get a 2SS
Old 01-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
You could wait, but the 2011 has not even been announced yet. If I were you I would buy what I could when I could, not waiiting for what might be coming. I have a 2SS/RS and I know you would love it, it is a thrill every time I drive it and I've been driving for almost 40 years. Good luck
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Dowgg123

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
You could wait, but the 2011 has not even been announced yet. If I were you I would buy what I could when I could, not waiiting for what might be coming. I have a 2SS/RS and I know you would love it, it is a thrill every time I drive it and I've been driving for almost 40 years. Good luck

Thats what I'm probably going to end up doing. I've been obsessing with this car for a while now and im finally at that point where I can get one. I've even gone from the point to where I could barely afford a 1LT to the point where I am now of having the ability to get a 2SS.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
kentf

Drives: 2010 camaro Black/White Stripes SS
Go for the 2010! It is the car of year!!!!!
kentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
The 2010 will have more value down the road if you plan on keeping it a long time. You might want to start budgeting for it now just so you can see what it'll be like to pay your car bills every month.

Find out what insurance will cost you every month, it's not that hard to find out what the payment will be based on the price and the money down you'll have. Then add in a couple hundred for gas every month. Then you'll need to save another 50$ or so per month so that you can afford your scheduled maintenance/repairs (after warranty)/upgrades/new tires etc.

Remove all of that money from your account every month and then decide if what you have left over is going to be enough for everything else you want to do.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
ahart04
most bang for your buck

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM/BLK RALLYS
Woohoo!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Get a 1SS, u wont be letdown.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #11
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I'm amazed at the number of young forum members who are seriously thinking about buying a Camaro. I really wanted one when I was 18. What did I do about it? I put myself through college working part time jobs, got a job, bought a house, got a promotion, and finally NOW I have a Camaro. I bought mine last weekend.

I understand your desire to get a Camaro. We ALL want one. The are way cool. But, be sensible and don't bury yourself in debt, especially so early in life.

The problem with saying these things is that it will likely make no difference. Most people will do what they want to do. But I'm assuming that since you asked for opinions, you might actually listen to the advice of others. I have seen too many young people bury themselves in debt that it followed them around for many many years.

Save your money, go to school, get a good job, and buy a house. Those are much wiser investments. Your time for a Camaro will come. Mine did.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
Dowgg123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I'm amazed at the number of young forum members who are seriously thinking about buying a Camaro. I really wanted one when I was 18. What did I do about it? I put myself through college working part time jobs, got a job, bought a house, got a promotion, and finally NOW I have a Camaro. I bought mine last weekend.

I understand your desire to get a Camaro. We ALL want one. The are way cool. But, be sensible and don't bury yourself in debt, especially so early in life.

The problem with saying these things is that it will likely make no difference. Most people will do what they want to do. But I'm assuming that since you asked for opinions, you might actually listen to the advice of others. I have seen too many young people bury themselves in debt that it followed them around for many many years.

Save your money, go to school, get a good job, and buy a house. Those are much wiser investments. Your time for a Camaro will come. Mine did.
You make a great point, I'll give you that, BUT
Ive been working as a supervisor at a theme park for 2 years now, and have saved pretty much all of that. That vehicle is being payed off in about a month. I have about 10k of my own money saved up for the down payment, plus the resell on my Wrangler I have. This will put me at about 15k down payment plus whatever my father would like to help pay. I will be working at this job for the next 3 summers, which should almost pay for the entire camaro. Whatever I have left, my father will pay for himself.

Basically, Ive got this thing Financially covered. If something were to happen job wise, my dad actually wants a camaro too so he would take it and finish buying it for himself.

Im 16, money burning in the bank, and a desire for a camaro. I also have a 4.0 GPA so Im hoping for scholarships.

Not trying to brag or anything along those lines, just stating that Im not like many teenagers wanting a car.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowgg123 View Post
You make a great point, I'll give you that, BUT
Ive been working as a supervisor at a theme park for 2 years now, and have saved pretty much all of that. That vehicle is being payed off in about a month. I have about 10k of my own money saved up for the down payment, plus the resell on my Wrangler I have. This will put me at about 15k down payment plus whatever my father would like to help pay. I will be working at this job for the next 3 summers, which should almost pay for the entire camaro. Whatever I have left, my father will pay for himself.

Basically, Ive got this thing Financially covered. If something were to happen job wise, my dad actually wants a camaro too so he would take it and finish buying it for himself.

Im 16, money burning in the bank, and a desire for a camaro. I also have a 4.0 GPA so Im hoping for scholarships.

Not trying to brag or anything along those lines, just stating that Im not like many teenagers wanting a car.
Good for you. My first Camaro was when I was 17 An 86 Z28. I wanted one so bad and I saved up about 5G's and I had a solid summer job and small all year part time job. I also knew how to work on cars so this helped. My dad helped where he could. He told me as long as I didnt screw up with finances and tickets he would help me get the car and a lil help dealing with insurance. I had the car for 6 years and never screwed up. No a lil later on lol Ive had 12 of them, never smashed any of them and neveer a single ticket to this day and things have worked out fine. I totally support your situation and you seem to know the responsibilities. Theres nothing wrong with your dad helping you on this, its not like hes giving you the car insurance paid just because he can. Go for it!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
kylorc

Drives: 2010 RY Camaro 2SS
I was in a similar boat. I am 18 and had my college paid for completely through scholarships, so I took my money, along with a lot of much appreciated help from dad, and bought a 2SS/RS. I love every second of it. I even love going out to the garage and pulling the cover off of it and just looking at it. I haven't drove it in a while because of the weather and can't wait for spring. The only thing, is that if you plan on putting down your name as the primarty driver, your insurance will be pretty high. Just factor that in b4 making your decision.
Good Luck!!!
kylorc is offline   Reply With Quote