Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #29
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
So, would you advise not washing the car all winter and just knocking loose any larger or obstructive clumps or moisture retaining lumps?
No, of course not. Anytime over freezing is a good time to wash it, especially the underside carriage. Biggest things is making sure the wheel wells are clear, but they don't have the flange with the weep hole they did years ago either, so that is not as important as it was.

When winter hits, the automated car washes do a brisk business. Look for the ones that not only state "touchless wash" but "Fresh Water Rinse", they don't use the recycled water that contains salt and grime and God only knows what.

Best regards.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #30
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
I store mine in the bad weather, but take it out as soon as the roads are dry. It still gets some salt on it, but as long as you wash it when you can, you'll be ok. I panicked my first winter last year, but I'm resting a little easier this year. It won't kill your car as long as you stay on top of it.

Last edited by MYDLIFECRISIS; 12-10-2013 at 06:47 AM.
MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #31
Blakk11SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
OP, I'm into my 3rd winter with the Camaro and i don't see any rust. I read somewhere that the Camaro body is double-Gavanized steel and should last a very long time. We use the touch-free drive thru wash here in Minnesota during winter, it sprays the underside as well, keeps the corrosion at bay close to the road.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #32
Mobyd

Drives: 2010 White 2SS/RS,01 F150 SuperCrew
salt gets outta my way..
Name:  splitting_the_red_sea2 copy.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  256.6 KB
Old 12-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #33
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The worst salt damage I have seen is from driving at high speed on highways when brine is being applied. It gets all over the engine bay and into into every nook and cranny of the chassis. You might as well dip the car in sea water.

I wouldn't worry about driving over some dry salt crystals in the parking lot.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #34
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobyd View Post
salt gets outta my way..
Attachment 581442
Hey, isn't Everett a suburb of Seattle? Do they use salt up there and it really doesn't snow that much for a lot of salt use...........does it?
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #35
jcsuddre

Drives: 2016 black 2 ss
It won't hurt to drive it a few times in this type of condition. Cars are built better than they used to be and don't rust as easily. The 5th gen is made from galvanized steel which means it is coated with a reducing agent which reacts with the salt put on the road whichin most cases it is calcium chloride which In turn protects the steel that it coats. However constantly driving in salt conditions over the years will cause rust but to drive in it a few times won't hurt
jcsuddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #36
Mobyd

Drives: 2010 White 2SS/RS,01 F150 SuperCrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by not View Post
Hey, isn't Everett a suburb of Seattle? Do they use salt up there and it really doesn't snow that much for a lot of salt use...........does it?
Correct .. Not much here in Everett.. few days of snow but no salt.. but more upnorth they might use salt
Old 12-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #37
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Rust: I'm hoping Chevys are built a little more rust resistant than by 2000 Dodge Mini-Van. I find washing and waxing cars theraputic when you work in an office all day. My 13 year olld mini-van still has a great shine, except for three spots where all Caravans seem to rust out. I've got an excellent waxed shine except for a huge hole in the passenger sliding door, passenger rear upper wheel well, and the bottom of the rear tailgate hatch. they all rust in the same spot. So my hypothesis is if the car is built right, and you keep it clean, it won't rust.... unless it's a Dodge mini-van.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #38
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Your car will be fine. My car has been driven through two winters, this is the third. No rust.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #39
Misfit1

Drives: 2012 White/Inferno 2SS
The car will be fine...I am here in VB as well...I would recommend spraying the bottom off in a wand wash, but everything else should be alright. The biggest issue we have here is the idiots put down this salt and sand mix either way too late or way too early and WAAAAYYYYYY to much of it. I just spray the bottom, try to keep it clean and do the best you can do. I would be more worried about the Stupid rain turning to ice with the P/Zeros. I know I am!!! looking for a winter "shitbox" right now due to all the other asshats that think 4 wheel drive means 4 wheel stop and take out my car!!!
Misfit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #40
tow

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange LS Camaro
Cars today have exterior body panels are made of Electrogalvanized steel which is bonded to the cold roll base metal on both sides during the processing of the steel. The inner metal panels are hot dipped galvanized. To rust water or salt has to get through paint, primer and then the galvanize to react with the metal. Keep your car clean and waxed repair any paint chips to prevent rust.
I spent 30 years in Quality Control Automotive processing of steel blanks have seen this process at the Steel mills. Steel quality has improved dramatically with new technology.
tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #41
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by not View Post
Lastly, if you are in a weather spell under 20f, it is better to keep the car outside and NOT wash it. Salt is not active under 20f and hitting it with relatively warm water just activates the salt. What you want to keep clean is areas that hold road grime and poke them free so they don't settle there.
I'm glad somebody said it. Salt really does the damage when it is mixed with water. People who constantly wash their cars in winter may be doing more harm then good, especially if the salt on the undercarriage isn't getting completely washed off in the process (and it probably isn't).
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #42
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
I'm glad somebody said it. Salt really does the damage when it is mixed with water. People who constantly wash their cars in winter may be doing more harm then good, especially if the salt on the undercarriage isn't getting completely washed off in the process (and it probably isn't).

This was hard for me to realize last winter when it got dirty...although I never drove it on wet salted roads.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote