Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #71
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
The biggest mistake is not asking questions. Fixing mistakes is part of any job. Learning is the outcome. You did everything right.
Well except for the oil change. Lol I kid, definitely better to do it yourself than to let Walmart touch it. Course a do-it-yourself mechanic can also be as bad as Walmart.

Do the autos on the V6 no longer have dipsticks? Mine is manual trans so obviously you can't check my fluid as easy as most autos but I've never worked on the auto 6. And I could've swore the SS has a dipstick for the auto trannies. Am I wrong?
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:13 PM   #72
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
Mine didn't have a dipstick for tranny. It's got a fill plug, and overflow plug to know it's full.
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #73
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
If you are unsure if you drained the engine oil or the transmission fluid, I would consider putting away the wrench and take your car in to professionals to do any sort of service hereon.
Not like he is the first person to ever do this. If he decided to drive around and never realized the issue i would agree with you. Easy to make this mistake if not paying attention to details. And he easily corrected it
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #74
mbowen89

So I just brought it in to dealership because the CEL flashed while driving but then went off. I thought it might have been a false misfire and they might update the ecu.

They asked if I wanted a full service, that I had them free for 24k miles. It would be nice for them to do the inspection and top fluids off but I just did the oil change. Even though it's free, I feel like that would have made everything I just did worthless in my head. They have to do the full service or nothing. I said no, and maybe I'd have them do it next time.

What do you think I should do? Can I do everything they would have done pretty easily? Known what to look for?
Old 02-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #75
sbear

Might as well get it done if you're worried about something. As people have said, your experience was not worthless, knowledge and experience gained. Getting full service done would be good for peace of mind.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #76
mbowen89

What do most people who aren't car gurus by any means, but like to do it themselves do when it comes to inspecting it etc
Old 02-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #77
sbear

this is a good list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_(motor_vehicle)

can also check the service schedule on your manual.

your car is so new though, most things don't really need fixing or maintenance at this point.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:53 AM   #78
habunow1

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2SS, 2011 CG 1LT IPF SC
I am all about free but it is rare that it would truely be free. Also I enjoy doing everything myself, its kind of my ZEN time.
habunow1 is offline   Reply With Quote