Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
JohnZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT V6
Rx Iceolator and Plenum Spacer questions

What are the torque specs for the plenum spacer bolts? I am installing the manifold insulator and plenum spacer tomorrow. I know the manifold bolts are 18 lbs and the throttle body bolts are 7 lbs. But what about the plenum spacer bolts?

Also, the long manifold bolts (185mm) for the RX 25mm insulator in conjuction with the 10mm plenum spacer have little circle spacers around them (maybe 10mm thick), they seem to be made out of the material as the spacer. What is there function? is it like a washer?

BMR Bushing Inserts,Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pfadt Sway Bars and Endlinks, LSR Front Subframe Brace

SS Brembo Brakes, Racing Brake Stainless Lines
JohnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
What are the torque specs for the plenum spacer bolts? I am installing the manifold insulator and plenum spacer tomorrow. I know the manifold bolts are 18 lbs and the throttle body bolts are 7 lbs. But what about the plenum spacer bolts?

Also, the long manifold bolts (185mm) for the RX 25mm insulator in conjuction with the 10mm plenum spacer have little circle spacers around them (maybe 10mm thick), they seem to be made out of the material as the spacer. What is there function? is it like a washer?
Since you're raising the plenum cover up, you have to effectively raise the height of the bosses in the plenum. That's what the spacers are for. If you don't install them, then you'll have nothing to torque the four center bolts against. At least one guy on here cracked his plenum cover because he didn't know what the spacers were for and decided not to install them... The MACE instructions are either terrible or non-existent! Sorry if I sound cranky, but I haven't seen any decent install instructions for ANY of the mods I've done. I've not had any issues, but I can see where a lot of confusion can be caused by the awful state of the instructions.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
JohnZ

Thank You ! I appreciate your insight. I am aware of the lack of great instructions, and wanted to consult before attempting anything.

Do I need to use gasket maker around these spacers?

BMR Bushing Inserts,Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pfadt Sway Bars and Endlinks, LSR Front Subframe Brace

Old 09-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
Thank You ! I appreciate your insight. I am aware of the lack of great instructions, and wanted to consult before attempting anything.

I would, and I think others have, better to be safe than sorry.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
pgustavson

Quote:

You're welcome. BTW - I haven't installed one yet as I'm waiting for it to arrive. I've learned how to do it through the various threads on this forum.

I would also say yes to the gasket maker. I'm just not 100% sure whether the "X-gasket" should go between the spacers and cover or between the spacers and IM. I've read somewhere here that the MACE spacers are at such a diameter that the x-gasket has actually slipped down the spacers over time if installed on top of them. I was thinking of gluing the spacers onto the cover with gasket maker first, and then assemble with the x-gasket underneath them. Of course, I think Steve at MACE has said to do away with both of the factory plenum gaskets and use sealant everywhere. So, I suppose there are multiple ways of doing it which probably doesn't necessarily answer your question...

Anyway - I think you'll see how best to do it once you get into it.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
JohnZ

I will be using to plenum gaskets. I want to use as little sealant as possible. BTW, I am installing the Rx plenum spacer.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
pgustavson

Quote:
I will be using to plenum gaskets. I want to use as little sealant as possible. BTW, I am installing the Rx plenum spacer.
Funny, the spacer I have on order is the Rx one as well. Maybe the bushing/spacers are different than the MACE ones.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgustavson View Post
You're welcome. BTW - I haven't installed one yet as I'm waiting for it to arrive. I've learned how to do it through the various threads on this forum.

I would also say yes to the gasket maker. I'm just not 100% sure whether the "X-gasket" should go between the spacers and cover or between the spacers and IM. I've read somewhere here that the MACE spacers are at such a diameter that the x-gasket has actually slipped down the spacers over time if installed on top of them. I was thinking of gluing the spacers onto the cover with gasket maker first, and then assemble with the x-gasket underneath them. Of course, I think Steve at MACE has said to do away with both of the factory plenum gaskets and use sealant everywhere. So, I suppose there are multiple ways of doing it which probably doesn't necessarily answer your question...

Anyway - I think you'll see how best to do it once you get into it.
When I get around to ordering and installing mine I'm gonna put the X-gasket on the IM that way I don't have to worry about any excess RTV comming out the sides. When I put the spaces on the plenum cover if excess RTV comes out on the side I can just wipe it off.

Just my 2 cents
Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
JohnZ

Just installed it, no CEL's (I pulled the battery). How long for the break in period?

Old 09-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Yellow_Glide

Drives: 2011 1LT "Chakita". 04 Yota
No break in required.

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3847083

Yellow_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote