Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I'm not sure if I'll buy a 5th Gen. Camaro

I'm not sure I'll buy a 5th Gen. Camaro, if in order to do so, I have to sell my SS. :o

Let me preface this by saying I don't like to "brag" about my Camaro. There are many more Camaro's out there that put mine to shame. But to me, my SS is special.

I thought more about this dilemma, (selling the SS in order to get a new Camaro), after taking the SS for a ride yesterday. While sitting at a red light, with the windows down and the t-tops off, I overheard some guys sitting in the panel truck alongside me commenting on the car. At the next light, they pulled alongside and we exchanged some comments about my SS. I pulled away feeling extremely proud to be driving a Camaro.

It also made me think of all the times I see someone enjoying their 1st or 2nd Gen. Camaro, and how I think how lucky they are to own such a cool Camaro. "They don't make them like that anymore". It made me wonder if there are people out there making similar comments about the 4th Gen.?

All I know is, I drove home feeling lucky to own my SS and I enjoyed every minute of the ride. Once I got home, I treated the SS to a nice bath and some Zaino.

The 5th Gen. Camaro is going to be awesome for sure. Just don't forget to enjoy the Camaro you already own. Regardless of age, or condition, all Camaro's are special. And I'm afraid to say, mine is too special to me to sell for any reason.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
1bad67camaro
SKREW SALEEN

Drives: 1967 CAMARO
moose my 67 camaro is in the shop every day they call me to sell it i just cant sell it there throwing crazy money at me but like u said my camaro is special to me very special i went broke buying parts for it but it makes me happy that one day i will drive it went its done so if i hade to pick the new 5th gen or my first gen i will pick my first gen
1bad67camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
I understand and agree with what you said Moose....but, for those of us who've had to get rid of their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gens for one reason or another....the 5th gen is what gets the blood boilin' again....

I hope you (and everyone like you) can afford to keep your current iteration of a real American muscle car while adding the newest interation to the stable. If not, it doesn't matter what generation you're driving, you're still driving a Camaro and in my book, that puts you in some very good company.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
it doesn't matter what generation you're driving, you're still driving a Camaro and in my book, that puts you in some very good company.
Well said Silverado. I couldn't agree with you more.

Between now and when the 5th Gen. reaches production, I'll be looking at different options which will allow me to keep my SS AND buy a new Camaro.

I may have to make some sacrifices, but it will be well worth it.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
Chad
The New Age Outlaw

Drives: 1994 Camaro Z-28
Send a message via AIM to Chad
I don't think I could ever get rid of my Z-28. It's a 94, slight mods, nothing major, and it sure isn't the baddest car on the road. But this is my first Camaro, the one that made me fall in love with this kind of car. Plus, selling my car would barely get me a down payment on a new one

Who says nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
c00l usmc

Drives: 1999 Camaro, 1985 Z28 Camaro
I will keep my 1985 Z28 until my son turns 16 then i will be passing my camaro down to him.(prays he wont wreck it.) Even though my wife calls it a redneck rustbucket i love it. It will be hard to let go but at least i know I will be passing something special on to the next generation.
c00l usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The 79 listed under my avatar is/was actually my dad's...It's not officially mine, but i care for it just as much. IF IT WAS MINE, I would probably never sell it for a newer version - I know he wouldn't - he's had it for 28 years +/- when he was 18 he bought it - too many memories to sell it.

I, on the other hand, have never owned a Camaro, and was going to save up for a Vette or a 1st/4th Gen (never made up my mind) when I saw the 5th gen was going into production. That's about the same time I joined this site.

The reality is, to men at least, Cars hold a very special place in our hearts - memories, event, joyrides...Camaro's are the best representation of this! If the Camaro you own was used, or you've only had it for a few years, I would not hesitate in the least to sell it for the 5th...

If you own a Muststank...hands down buy a Camaro!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:44 PM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I know how you feel, Ed. I felt the same way about my Z28. It was special ordered EXACTLY how I wanted it. It was very special to me. Heck, even my wife said I loved my car more than her (which, of course, isn't true). But I spent a lot of time in the Z. I put a lot of miles on it and got compliments everywhere I went. The stares are just too cool. I can never get enough of that.

So, when it comes to getting the 5th Gen, I don't have the same "bond" w/ the SS as I did the Z28. I SERIOUSLY don't want to see it go. My wife already said we are going to try to work it out so we can keep it. But, I know it's going.....just no way to afford it. Right now, she's in perfect shape. If they mess w/ the 5th Gen too much, or they don't offer the right options for me, I'm going to hold off. I'm VERY happy where I'm at right now. So, I know exactly how you feel, Ed. She's part of the family.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:04 AM   #9
Chad
The New Age Outlaw

Drives: 1994 Camaro Z-28
Send a message via AIM to Chad
By the time the new Camaro comes out I will have already modded mine to where I'm really happy with it. I could toss the extra money aside but I doubt it. My Z needs a little more TLC to be running in tip top shape. But after that I've been seriously thinking about a small nitrous kit to give me that extra bit I need. The fact that there is a speed shop less than a 1/4 mile down the street from doesn't help. I've been in and out of there so much over the last six months, waiting for better weather to come around.

I guess it all depends what Chevy offers for the price.

Who says nothing is impossible? I've been doing nothing for years
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
I'm up in the air myself. I bought my -01 TA in Oct 2005 with 32K miles on it. I love it, and they aren't making a new one. I really want to keep it. But whatever next-gen musclecar (Camaro, Challenger, CTS-V, Vette, Charger SRT-8, GTO) I would get would be my first new car. It would be like raising a puppy. I would be it's only owner and driver for it's entire life. I could swing it finantially if I wanted to keep my TA, but I am in the army and don't have the space for three musclecars, a bike, and a daily driver for the wife. It will be a tough decision, but I'm sure I'll be happy with the decision I make.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
You have a great point. don't give up something you love in hopes of finding something else... god forbid a lemon. or just not what you wanted. I hope we can all find ways to afford our dream 5th gen and still keep what we have. I am in love with the 98-02 trans am.. i may have a 5th gen. and drive it every day. but i still will find and find a way to afford my trans am when the time is right.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:31 PM   #12
daddyseth1

Drives: 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
You guys sound so centimental. I want that same type of feeling about my car as well. So, for me, to get my hands on the 5th gen. Camaro would initiate me into that realm of muscle car owners. It would be my first brand new car and that of a car that I have admired for a while. I want to have it to go for my weekend toy, to show off around my neighborhood, to share mod tips with other bow-tie guys, all of those things. But, I want to have everything in place when that happens. So, here's to good times ahead.
daddyseth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:14 PM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyseth1 View Post
You guys sound so centimental. I want that same type of feeling about my car as well. So, for me, to get my hands on the 5th gen. Camaro would initiate me into that realm of muscle car owners. It would be my first brand new car and that of a car that I have admired for a while. I want to have it to go for my weekend toy, to show off around my neighborhood, to share mod tips with other bow-tie guys, all of those things. But, I want to have everything in place when that happens. So, here's to good times ahead.
Taking receipt of your first musclecar is a moment you won't ever forget...for me at least. I still remember pulling up to the dealer after they called saying another salesman was trying to sell my Z28 and I better hurry up and get there to pick it up. I was like . Who the hell does that salesman think he is??? I put down $100 to hold it for when it came in.

I got to the dealer and it was in the back lot having just come off the semi trailer with a bunch of other cars. It still had all the plastic on the doors, on the seats, etc. The factory forgot to put on the rear Z28 emblem. I signed the paperwork and they told me to come back in a few hours after it had gone through the make ready process. I came back later that day and it was next to the showroom floor in the new vehicle delivery area. Ah man, it was beautiful. I drove it off the lot trying to be as careful as possible. It was so tough not to step on it. You can guess what happened.

Since then, it's been nothing but new friendships created, car shows, SLP racedays, Super Chevy shows, pulling up the lawn chairs in the parking lots of hotels in other cities and drinking beers w/ fbody enthusiasts. It's a great group of people w/ a wonderful passion. I love it that much.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #14
daddyseth1

Drives: 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Taking receipt of your first musclecar is a moment you won't ever forget...for me at least. I still remember pulling up to the dealer after they called saying another salesman was trying to sell my Z28 and I better hurry up and get there to pick it up. I was like . Who the hell does that salesman think he is??? I put down $100 to hold it for when it came in.

I got to the dealer and it was in the back lot having just come off the semi trailer with a bunch of other cars. It still had all the plastic on the doors, on the seats, etc. The factory forgot to put on the rear Z28 emblem. I signed the paperwork and they told me to come back in a few hours after it had gone through the make ready process. I came back later that day and it was next to the showroom floor in the new vehicle delivery area. Ah man, it was beautiful. I drove it off the lot trying to be as careful as possible. It was so tough not to step on it. You can guess what happened.

Since then, it's been nothing but new friendships created, car shows, SLP racedays, Super Chevy shows, pulling up the lawn chairs in the parking lots of hotels in other cities and drinking beers w/ fbody enthusiasts. It's a great group of people w/ a wonderful passion. I love it that much.

That's what Im talking about. Last year was my time going to the Dreamcruise in Detroit(who I just watched my Bulls beat)and my breath was taken away. Seeing all of these REAL MUSCLE cars rolling, styling, and just being admired. I said to my buddy, that this will be us with our models someday. I look so forward to doing that .
daddyseth1 is offline   Reply With Quote