Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2LT Camaro
You'll never get ur money back

My father inlaw and i were talking about this the other day and he decided to post it up on the vette forum so im going to post it up here and see what you guys think about it....so here goes.

I have noticed on newer vehicles, Vettes for example, when someone post I plan on buying,( some new add on), often they receive a post you will never get your money back. If a golfer post on a golf web site, I plan on buying a new putter or a fisherman post on their web site just bought new fishing rod, they would never get, “you will never get your money back”. Why, when a person who’s hobby is cars they get, the never get your money back staement. I enjoy customizing that just my thing. My hobbies are many and I never plan on getting my money back out of them. Now if I could find one that would be great. Tried to make my rant short. Ok I feel better now I can go spend some more money I will not get back.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
When you go fishing, you probably keep your rods. Whb you go customizing a vehicle, you generally trade it for a newer one in a few years. That's the difference.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
^^ good point plus its used goods... nothing ever sells used for what it did new.

Drive the car off the lot and you lose money on it. Most people will demod and try to recuperate funds that way before they sell or trade the car in
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Isn't this one of the primary reasons people lease? If your going to buy a car outright or even pay it off, make damn sure its worth it because you won't get most of what you paid.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
The_cartoonist_88
Turbine Cowboy

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
When you go fishing, you probably keep your rods. Whb you go customizing a vehicle, you generally trade it for a newer one in a few years. That's the difference.
i see your point but when you buy a new reel what happens with the other one does it sit in the corner....do the fisherman get his money back from the reel?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
You have to pay to play. It is that simple.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
I think the difference is how much each item costs (including the cost to fix it). You spend a few hundred dollars (up to a few thousand) on guns, fishing rods, etc... (Yes, there are those "expensive" exceptions).

How much are you going to spend on a car? Tens of thousands, even without buying a new "this and that" for the car. Things on cars will rot, rust, etc...and can cost the price of a new gun to fix.

Does that make sense?

What doesn't make sense, is that why they think you like the same shit they do. I've been hunting & fishing before and had nothing but horrible experiences (when I was a kid). Also, it's your money. Do what you want with it.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
I think this is more for the people who mod their cars and think that the car is worth every penny they spent. Then try to sell the car for the total spent, because they over extended themselves and the payments + finance charges are to great. It's just a general FYI that cars are not cheap and a hobby should never come before general living obligations + reserves. If your financially sound and live with in your means then more power to you "the statement does not apply".
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
So your comparing your used car +20K in parts! to a new car -20K in parts and brand NEW! even thought you modded it for the good. If you mod it with HP that means runnin fast.........I would go with the new car...runnin fast means ran fast (PROBLEMS) to most people.....
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
lots of people just see em as cars.
No other attachment beyond what its worth can be had with that.

Im not still driving my 86 Firebird and 80 Buick wagon 10 years later cause Im cheap. Neither is just a car to me.

And I get offended when people ask why I don't buy something new.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:44 AM   #11
PatsRS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
The problem is everyone expects anything they own to appreciate in value. Almost anything with the exception of real estate (past 4 -5 years excluded) goes down. They think because you paid money for it it should retain its value when newer ones cost more. Its insane logic.
If you like it buy it or do it. Its your money and money well spent.

GM ALL THE WAY!

PatsRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #12
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
IMHO, the root issue is society has swung to equating nearly everything in life to dollars. It seems all I ever hear about the last few years is what something costs, what so and so makes, it isn't worth XXX dollars, etc. Thank you Walmart for helping to create a society that can only see the perceived dollar value in anything. Value, quality, engineering, personal enjoyment and purpose hardly ever are taken into account for so much we "enjoy" today. I prefer to enjoy my life versus celebrating money.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:53 AM   #13
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
I tell people like that "I buy brand new because no one else takes as good care of there vehicles as I do". I want to know that the proper oil has been used, etc.

I also think people that say that are trying to justify their used purchases.
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
I'm with you OP, I have many cars and not once when I'm purchasing do I think how much will it be worth when I sell it. Thing is I don't sell my cars, once its paid for its paid for and I've come to terms knowing that money was spent and gone the moment I decided to make that purchase. If I want to get money back from spending money I invest, not buy material things.

I wish more people would think along those lines instead of buying things and thinking they are gonna make money on it or at best recoup some once there done with it.

For the people that gotta trade up everytime the next new thing comes out, they are the ones that shouldn't be spending the money anyways.